DanaC 17-Dec-21
McCree 18-Dec-21
Shuteye 19-Dec-21
Shuteye 19-Dec-21
Franzen 19-Dec-21
txhunter58 19-Dec-21
txhunter58 19-Dec-21
15-Dec-21
I read an article last year about a guy hunting in a green plaid wool shirt. Decided I wanted one for casual wear and being outside. Any ideas where to get one? Finding one has been harder than I thought.

15-Dec-21
Johnson mills May. All wool. Not cheap.

15-Dec-21
Filson

15-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product/long-tail-tall-size-button-down-shirts/

Bring money.

15-Dec-21
Rothco supply has heavy buffalo plaid shirts $50

15-Dec-21
I have Pendleton, Woolrich, and Asbell wool tops. Asbell doesn't do shirts exactly but they have pullovers, hoodies, jackets, and vests. Their stuff is pretty nice. So are the others I mentioned. For bowhunting I love my Asbell stuff. I have two pullovers. One is a nice drab green.

15-Dec-21
Second Asbell wool. Quality stuff and different patterns and weights to choose from.

15-Dec-21
I've worn out a couple of Woolrich flannel wool shirts. But I don't see a green one in their current offerings, and boy howdy, have their prices gone up since I last bought one.

Matt

15-Dec-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Ask this guy...

15-Dec-21
Chuck, were do you buy your wool shirts? Thanks.

15-Dec-21
what size are you looking for?? i have a woolrich one ..........

15-Dec-21
Personally like the bigger plaid, the 4" buffalo plaid...

Wonder if ole Chuck still wears the same brand of beanie he's wore for eons...8^)

16-Dec-21
Chuck only wears camo for the photos. He hunts in Sitka and KUIU I hear. That what I heard on the internet at least. Makes sense since you need real camo to be successful.

16-Dec-21
A wool shirt mid-layer is still bomb for damp weather. In the northeast you still see a lot of guys in that green plaid, I call 'em 'Benoit wannabees' ;-)

16-Dec-21
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23238?page=mens-maine-guide-shirt

I have several of these shirts that are over 25 years old. They're almost impossible to wear out in regular use. Dry clean for sure.

16-Dec-21

Kevin Dill's Link
Easier....

16-Dec-21
Kevin, thought you were a high tech synthetic guy and didn't like wool...8^)

16-Dec-21
Check out sleeping Indian wool, I have several pieces from them!

16-Dec-21
I have an XL and a L woolrich shirts in green plad that are like new that I would sell. Would you be interested?

16-Dec-21
Gotta love a strong fashion statement...... =D

16-Dec-21
all good info. thanks, still digesting these ideas

16-Dec-21
Gary, I didn’t say I like them or use them. I just said they’re almost impossible to wear out. Especially when they hang for many years.

16-Dec-21
LL Bean has great wool shirts. Definitely a go to of mine.

17-Dec-21
i am happy with my green plaid wool shirt that I got from L. L. Bean. They also carry Tall sizes which I have to have due to my gorilla arms.

17-Dec-21
Garan send pm

17-Dec-21
Lots of used wool shirts on ebay - Woolrich, Filson, LL Bean and others. If you are looking at the shirt for hunting deer you may want to consider the red plaid as well as deer can't see red. I've worn my red woolrich for hunting deer quite often.

17-Dec-21
goelk, Replied to pm

17-Dec-21
Be careful buying used wool from ebay. I've gotten good ones and a few that were obviously washed and dried by people who ignored the 'dry clean only' label.

18-Dec-21
ll bean

19-Dec-21
I got mine from L L Bean since I was 14 years old and will be 80 on my next birthday.

19-Dec-21
I got mine from L L Bean since I was 14 years old and will be 80 on my next birthday.

19-Dec-21
LL Bean Maine Guide is the shirt. Not cheap, but will last forever. Currently on backorder though. It sure looks like that is what Chuck wears.

19-Dec-21
Personally, I like red plaid. It makes no difference to the deer. However, turkeys are a different matter :-)

19-Dec-21
I have wool and cotton mid layers. I wear my cotton plaid 80% of the time. But then I live in Texas! It’s December and it was in the 80s this week

You sometimes hear not to wear cotton in the mountains. But that really only applies to your base layer. NEVER wear cotton long Johns. But I routinely wear jeans and a cotton shirt over my base layers. As long as you have rain gear and don’t let your mid layers get wet, you are good.

Another hard and fast rule: NEVER leave your truck in the mountains without rain gear. A beautiful clear morning can build into afternoon showers

• Sitka Gear