SlipShot 04-Jan-22
drycreek 04-Jan-22
Shuteye 08-Jan-22
16-Dec-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Chase and I took two days off from the goose field. I went to Denver for a two day Wolf introduction meeting at the CPW Hdq. Chilly this morning but the high winds of yesterday calmed a lot, down to a breeze. Maybe the geese will be willing to come within bow range. One never knows about geese. When you think you have them figured out, you don't.

16-Dec-21
Good luck Paul love hunting in the 40 degree weather.

16-Dec-21

The sun was scheduled to rise at 7:15 so we arrived at the goose field at 6:30 to set up the decoys and just to welcome the new day. I had found a dozen feeder goose shell decoys at the local pawn shop for $50 so I painted the neck and white patches on the head and tail and then made up some steel stakes. When I had observed geese in the field, most of the geese are feeding, and one or two are acting as look -outs with their head up high. With the new feeder decoys, the spread looked more realistic. Lets see if it works.

16-Dec-21

as usual, lots of high flying geese heading east to the corn fields and to other destinations, only the geese know.
as usual, lots of high flying geese heading east to the corn fields and to other destinations, only the geese know.

16-Dec-21

THe sun had been up for 20 minutes where these low flyers show up. A few honks and clucks on the call got them coming in. Maybe they like the new setup.
THe sun had been up for 20 minutes where these low flyers show up. A few honks and clucks on the call got them coming in. Maybe they like the new setup.

16-Dec-21

only 20 yards away, I picked out this one. Put the single pin on its body and sent the arrow on its way. WACK
only 20 yards away, I picked out this one. Put the single pin on its body and sent the arrow on its way. WACK
good start of the hunt. Lets get Chase ready for the retrieve
good start of the hunt. Lets get Chase ready for the retrieve

16-Dec-21

lining Chase up to retrieve goose
lining Chase up to retrieve goose

16-Dec-21

Good boy!
Good boy!

16-Dec-21

That deserves a TREAT
That deserves a TREAT

16-Dec-21
Ha! I love it! Will work for treats! I'm sure he'd do it without the treat but a job well done always deserves a reward. You guys have this yard hopper hunting down cold.

16-Dec-21
Old man Chase is an expert at what he does ! A little gray in the muzzle, but lots of gray matter between the ears ! His master ain’t half bad either……..;-)

16-Dec-21
Awesome i think Paul needs another person with him. Im In. LOL

16-Dec-21
what kind head on your arrow for these goose?

16-Dec-21
You and Chase are one heck of a Team! A PLUS+!

16-Dec-21
Great job. Looking forward to what might be to come.

16-Dec-21
Well," what might be to come", is the following. As I have said," you never know what the geese are going to do."

Rick, NAP, ShockWave mech 3 bld BH, the same I use for turkeys.

16-Dec-21

So Chase and I are back in the blind listening for geese. Fifteen minutes later, these geese show up and are interested in the set up. I give out a few goose honks.
So Chase and I are back in the blind listening for geese. Fifteen minutes later, these geese show up and are interested in the set up. I give out a few goose honks.

16-Dec-21

Wings set, feet out, they hand 21 yards away. Chase is whining. Bow in hand, picked out a goose.
Wings set, feet out, they hand 21 yards away. Chase is whining. Bow in hand, picked out a goose.
Wack!, broken wing. Goose has no idea what had just happened. I ran out and finished him off.
Wack!, broken wing. Goose has no idea what had just happened. I ran out and finished him off.

16-Dec-21

back at the blind, I line Chase up for the retrieve, What he is looking at is a clump of a evergreen tree branch I use as a range marker. Once there, he corrects himself to the goose
back at the blind, I line Chase up for the retrieve, What he is looking at is a clump of a evergreen tree branch I use as a range marker. Once there, he corrects himself to the goose
TREAT time
TREAT time

16-Dec-21

16-Dec-21
So now that I have two geese in the bag, I was thinking about heading home so I started to gather up my equipment. Then I hear a nearby honk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16-Dec-21
16-Dec-21
Off to a fast start! Hopefully the geese keep cooperating for the whole season.

16-Dec-21

I just about ready to step out of the blind when I hear a nearby honk of a goose. These 5 land out in front and in bow range. What is a guy to do?
I just about ready to step out of the blind when I hear a nearby honk of a goose. These 5 land out in front and in bow range. What is a guy to do?
I pick up the bow, arrow on the rest, pick out a goose and shoot, WACK. but the goose flutters off to the left 20 yards and tries to hid in the taller grass.
I pick up the bow, arrow on the rest, pick out a goose and shoot, WACK. but the goose flutters off to the left 20 yards and tries to hid in the taller grass.
I look back to there the geese where and one is still standing there. I reload, and release, WACK.
I look back to there the geese where and one is still standing there. I reload, and release, WACK.

16-Dec-21

number one
number one
number two
number two
Well, a hell of a morning in the goose field bow hunting for Yard Hoppers. I looked at my watch, 9:05. I am running out of TREATS but will be home in 5 minutes.
Well, a hell of a morning in the goose field bow hunting for Yard Hoppers. I looked at my watch, 9:05. I am running out of TREATS but will be home in 5 minutes.
Now Chase has his work cut out for him, two geese down in opposite directions. Lets go get them.

16-Dec-21

When processing the geese at home, I remove 6 inches of the 3 primary wing feathers and all of the tail feathers and send them to the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service, so to determine the age and sex of each goose.

16-Dec-21

just helps the science behind water fowl migrations, etc.
just helps the science behind water fowl migrations, etc.

16-Dec-21
Good work chase and Paul

16-Dec-21
Very nicely done Chase & Paul.

16-Dec-21
Hell of a morning, buddy!

16-Dec-21
Wow, you are slaying them!

16-Dec-21
Yea, the question might be, How many geese might I kill?. 5 for 5 ( correction 6 for 6 ) so far, and I still have January and half of Feb to hunt. To up the challenge, I will start using my recurve bow the next hunt.

16-Dec-21
You are a living legend Paul! Congrats.

16-Dec-21
Always cool Paul! Great job! Kevin

16-Dec-21
Great hunt. Whack em' and stack em'.

16-Dec-21
delete double post

16-Dec-21
This looks like a lot of fun! Still hope to be like Paul when I grow up!

17-Dec-21
Hey Darren, I had a Senior Moment for sure. Liver,-- I will keep that in mind.

17-Dec-21
Hell of a hunt Paul!! Congrats to both of you!

17-Dec-21
what's your preferred shot on a big bird Paul , frontal, or broadside?

17-Dec-21
Excellent second half to the morning. You never cease to amaze us Paul. You and Chase sure know how to enjoy a morning.

17-Dec-21
Those geese don't stand a chance against the two of you! I'm curious, do you resharpen the blades on those ShockWaves?

17-Dec-21
What a great start!

17-Dec-21
Way to go Paul and Chase, 2 outings and you guys are really laying it on those honkers!

Great pics and recap as always, thanks Paul!

17-Dec-21

Buckeye, yea broadside is preferred, but a few times I have taken a frontal or Texas heart shot. On a broadside shot, if the arrow does not go all the way through, it usually breaks a wing and unlike a turkey, a goose has no place to "run".

Deerhunter 72, Yes I do re-sharpen the blades with a V carbon knife sharpener. I also re-sharpen the point. If the blade is bent, I do replace them, as I do the O-ring. Some of these Shockwave BH I have use over and over a few times. Replacing the blades is easy but one needs to clean out the blade channels for proper alignment. All of this only take a few minutes.

17-Dec-21
Those look like the mechanicals I use to use on whitetail. Can't remember the name. They did the job though. Always enjoy your goose thread Paul. Glad to see you and the pup are still at it.

17-Dec-21
Way to go Chase! Kudos to you as well Paul! Great start to the season so far!

17-Dec-21
Thanks for sharing Paul! I've got a few of those heads but have never shot them. They sure are getting the job done for you. My dad used to re-sharpen or replace spitfire blades the same way. He killed a slew of deer reusing the heads.

17-Dec-21
Good start to the season for sure. Can’t wait to see you break out the recurve. What set up, bow, broadheads will you be using?

17-Dec-21
Great team....nice haul!

17-Dec-21

I have killed two geese with the stick
I have killed two geese with the stick
BS 54, Great Plains recurve, 55#, Gold tip trad arrows, 3 bld 125 gr, VAP. Effective range, 20 yards.

17-Dec-21
Thanks Paul. Oh I had faith in your effective range. Just always like to see what other hunters are having success with.

17-Dec-21

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Way to go Paul! You and Chase have killed more geese this year with a bow and few decoys than we have with a few dozen decoys and a blind full of teenage shooters with 3.5" 12 gauges!

Decoys look good. We refurbished some 30 year old shells and flocked the heads. Looks realistic and gets rid of the shine on sunny days.

Keep after them!

17-Dec-21
Hey Don, that flocking looks good. When I repainted the shells, I first spray painted the neck/head with flat black, and then added the white cheek patch. I do know when the rising sun is at the right angle to the decoys, the decoys can reflect the light more and sometimes spook the geese. A good project you have, and thanks for taking out the kids. Paul

17-Dec-21
Hell yeah, Paul. Stack em up like cord wood. Love'n it.

19-Dec-21
Huge congrats Paul and Chase!!! A Bowsite Annual Classic Thread!!!

Mark

01-Jan-22
Happy New Year 2

04-Jan-22
I've heard folks refer to "those flocking geese!" but never imagined that was what they were referring to..... =D

04-Jan-22
Tom, the reference is towards those geese that have their wings set, feet down, gliding in, 70 yards away, and then they turn sharply way and land in the adjacent field. "those "fuc-flocking" geese"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One can hear that a mile away.

04-Jan-22
Thanks for sharing!

04-Jan-22
As always, Paul and Chase are the Dynamic Duo !

08-Jan-22
Chase and Paul are not only excellent goose hunters, the photography is absolutely top of the line. A lot of deer video makers should take classes from Paul.

• Sitka Gear