DanaC 17-Dec-21
Buckeye 17-Dec-21
Fuzzy 17-Dec-21
Joey Ward 17-Dec-21
buckeye 17-Dec-21
Joey Ward 17-Dec-21
Fuzzy 17-Dec-21
16-Dec-21
Was thinking about raw packing and pressure canning some wild hog meat. I know some of you folks pressure can venison and other wild game, but has anyone done pigs this way? Any secret additives or tips for the process? How do you like it?

Thanks

16-Dec-21
Should work just fine. I did bear. Temp will be plenty high to kill any potential trichinosis. I've canned mountain lion, bear, mule deer, elk & oryx. Do the same with all, little bit of salt (1/8 tsp), little bit of water, sometimes a little bit of olive oil or butter but not always, pack it down so no air bubbles, cook 90 min once up to pressure. Yum...

16-Dec-21
Thanks, smarba. I’ve done a a bunch of venison, chicken, squirrels and rabbits. But want try some wild hog I’ve killed.

I’ve added a little salt, onion, jalapeños and some liquid beef or chicken broth for added flavor. It all turned out very good.

I’ve seen where some folks have added the little packs included with pork ramen noodles to their pork canning. Was wondering if anyone else has used that or something else when canning wild pork for more flavor.

16-Dec-21
I have a pretty bland palate, so typically don't use much seasoning. Plus my thought is we can add whatever seasoning during the preparation of whatever meal the meat is being used for.

16-Dec-21
Don't see why pork would be any different. I do venison & tuna. Venison I add 1/2 teaspoon salt a clove garlic & a jalapeño pepper. Tuna I add1/2 teaspoon salt & a tablespoon olive oil. The venison & fish get pressure canned @ 11 # for 90 minutes. I'd do a Google search for canned pork but I'm sure it's the same

16-Dec-21
I can a lot of pork. Sausages, roasts, tenderloins. It is phenomenal. Absolutely unbelievably phenomenal in front shoulder and tougher roast cuts.

I used the recipe in my canning manual for canning salt and fresh ground black pepper, And added a couple garlic cloves. Pack the jars dry, and cook to manuals specifications. You’ll love it.

16-Dec-21
I killed a 40 lber this afternoon. Got it on ice now. Think I’ll experiment with this hog. Cut it up this weekend Can everything. Ribs too.

I appreciate the info.

16-Dec-21
You guys are making me hungry. I have Amish friends that went out west and killed some mule deer. They brought them back to Delaware and canned all the meat except what they ate when they butchered them. They don't have electricity so they can most of the meat and make jerky.

17-Dec-21
What kind of canner is everyone using? I’m looking to get into this, and see they range from basic $100 models up to $500 digital models.

17-Dec-21
I have a presto with the Guage on top can't remember exactly $ 120-140

17-Dec-21
Should get a canner with a guage and a jiggler. The jiggler lets off pressure to keep things even and the guage will tell you when to evacuate.

17-Dec-21
Actually pressure canners with the gauge have the. Jiggler as well & all modern pressure cookers have a safety blow out plug as well. I actually have two an older one with a 3 way jiggler 5, 10, 15 lbs & a newer one with the Guage & a 15 lb jiggler. Plenty of folks cann with the jiggler at 10 lbs but most all recipes call for 11lbs so I prefer the Guage.

My presto I'm not sure the model # but does 7 quarts or up to 20 pints. We prefer the pints as there the right portion size most the time.

17-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
plenty of how-to videos on youtube

17-Dec-21
dumb question maybe but is a water bath canner a no go for meat?

17-Dec-21
Joey I've done literally tons of pork, same process, I add 1 tsp salt per quart but thats optional. be careful with headspace on the jars the grease can compromise the seal if you over fill ]

17-Dec-21
Thanks Fuzzy.......love hearing from the master canner! :-)

17-Dec-21

buckeye's embedded Photo
buckeye's embedded Photo
The reason I ask is I made a big one for doing spaghetti sauce and trap waxing, chicken scalding, pretty much any large thing you'd want to boil

17-Dec-21
buckeye, read this.........................

https://www.thespruceeats.com/boiling-water-bath-versus-pressure-canning-1327438

I believe it will answer your question.

17-Dec-21
Buckeye, yes, meat and other low acid foods (like beans) must be pressure cans. Water bath can only reach 212 F (at sea level) and C. botulinum (botulism) spores can survive 212 F for long periods.

• Sitka Gear