MQQSE 23-Dec-21
Corax_latrans 23-Dec-21
DanaC 24-Dec-21
Jasper 25-Dec-21
SteveB 25-Dec-21
22-Dec-21

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
I had posted last week about a nice buck my son took with his longbow. This evening he was able to double up on does with two perfectly placed arrows about one minute apart. What is cool is that I have a cell camera on that corn field and received a pic as he was about to release an arrow from the tree. I should have been in a tree instead of here at home on the couch!

22-Dec-21

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo

22-Dec-21
Nice, x2

22-Dec-21
Way to go... not easy, but very rewarding hea dad?

22-Dec-21
Seems he's become quite proficient with it. It's cool to see.

22-Dec-21
Congrats!

22-Dec-21
Great job!

22-Dec-21
I think he knows how to shoot that longbow. Good for him. Congrats to him on getting it done.

22-Dec-21
Next he gotta try an atlatl.

22-Dec-21
That’s awesome! Stickbows are so much fun!

22-Dec-21
Nice congrats to your son!!! With a kid like that, you can stay on the couch while he fills the freezer…lol.

22-Dec-21
Incredible!! Congrats to him!

22-Dec-21
Congrats on a double!

22-Dec-21
This was a stand that a buddy of mine and I put up about 3 1/2 months ago to try to get closer to where the deer enter the field, so I would have a chance at them with my traditional setup. Dad and I quickly realized that the stand location may have been a bit questionable because we struggled to find good winds to hunt it on, due to it being right on the edge of a large bedding area. It seemed like wherever the wind was blowing on any given day, happened to be the area from which deer would come from on that day. Tonight was a bit different though, I saw more deer out of this stand tonight than I had the rest of the year combined (out of that stand only). After having a group of does and Fawns work past me on the upwind side of my setup (finally), I heard the slow crunching of leaves coming from the same direction that the others had just came from. Although the first group passed by just out of my effective range, the last doe took a different trail as she approached my setup and ended up walking past me at about 10 yards, which is where I loosed my initial arrow, which flew true and passed cleanly through both lungs. I watched her run off as she spray painted a blood trail through the timber and crashed within sight. Now, during all the commotion, the first group of does that passed by, heard what was going on and were either curious, or confused by the series of events they heard/saw unfold, because they were now quickly heading my way. The group of 5 was cutting across an open clover lane in front of me and were about to cross into my wind stream and I knew the lead doe would bust me for sure if I let them do that. Luckily, I had ranged the whole area around me when I first got to the spot so I knew the lead doe was about 16 or 17 yards away, and that is a shot that I would not have taken 6 months ago, but with now having lots of practice and almost a full season of experience under my belt at this point, I felt confident taking the shot. So I drew my string slowly, released my arrow, and watched my Zwickey broadhead bury into the center of the deers ribcage. This doe only made it about 25 yards from the spot of the shot, to where she ended up crashing. Not every hunt goes as smoothly as it did tonight, so it’s always a lot of fun when it works out exactly how you draw it up. Also on a side note, the two deer that I harvested tonight weighed 142.6lbs and 142.0lbs.. almost identical! It will be interesting to see the true age difference between the two when it’s all said and done.

23-Dec-21
Very nice. Congrats on a rewarding hunt. Those mature does are no pushover. Late season is also more challenging

23-Dec-21
Thanks for the details Blaine. I’ll try to get out tonight. Looks like another summer day in December here in northern MO!

23-Dec-21
Very impressive! Great photo.

23-Dec-21
That is quite an accomplishment. Congrats to the bowhunter!

23-Dec-21
great job what is his bow and arrows set up and broadheads? Does he shoot three under or split finger

23-Dec-21
Congratulations, great story and photos.

23-Dec-21
The bow he is shooting this year is an older Osage Appalachian Flat bow. Pretty sure he shoots like I do with one over and two under. The arrows he used on this hunt were 30” Carbon trad style from 3Rivers archery. Heads are Zwickey eskalites.

23-Dec-21
Well done!

23-Dec-21
Double trouble in the corn stubble!!

Well done, Sir!

Matt

23-Dec-21
That kid rocks!

23-Dec-21
Congrats

23-Dec-21
Congrats. couple freezer fillers there!

23-Dec-21
Are those body weights intact, or field dressed?

I think the biggest know I’ve ever taken out east here went about 140 on the hoof. They don’t grow them real big around here! Out in Minnesota, I’m pretty sure we’ve had them dress at at least 165, but that is still basically half of the largest buck that I can recall….

23-Dec-21
What an accomplishment! Nice work.

23-Dec-21
Corax

All the weights are not dressed. We have taken about 30 does off this farm this fall and I recorded them all. I can check the records, but as I recall the largest being in the mid 170’s. The largest buck this fall was one I killed that weighed 279.8 lbs. and taken on about 10/21 if I remember correctly.

We work closely with the state and send the teeth from every deer in to be aged. I am excited to put an age with each of the does and bucks. I know we will learn more and more each year. This farm is 2100 contiguous acres.

23-Dec-21
Sounds pretty deluxe!

Kind of cool to see somebody taking the time to do the actual science and find out what’s what. I don’t think there’s a 2100 acre state forest here - not in one contiguous block, anyway…

24-Dec-21
A fine hunt, well done!

25-Dec-21
So awesome! Congratulations!

25-Dec-21
Nice on all counts!! Congratulations!

• Sitka Gear