12yards 25-Dec-21
Corax_latrans 25-Dec-21
Steve H. 25-Dec-21
DanaC 25-Dec-21
Zbone 25-Dec-21
grizzly63 27-Dec-21
Deercy 27-Dec-21
22-Dec-21
Happen to come across about an article about the Mule deer decline and loss of geographical range and wondering how much range they've lost since I was west over a decade ago... Had previously seen them in central South Dakota and central Nebraska before, now how far west to see one?

22-Dec-21
Decline in Kansas has shrunk a large portion of the state.

23-Dec-21
They’re expanding in Manitoba. Cool to see. Buddy just seen one NE of Winnipeg a couple days ago.

23-Dec-21
On extremely bad winters they'll get on a river corridor and keep moving east. Occassionally hear of a few in extreme eastern Nebraska and surprisingly even an occasional one in western Iowa. Nebraska has on their website harvest numbers by county. A few show up about a quarter to third of the way as you head west in Nebraska.

23-Dec-21
Missouri Department of Conservation says they occasionally make it all the way to western Missouri.

23-Dec-21
I've seen mulies as far east as the Kansas City KS area, but it's been years ago. The last time I hunted in north central Kansas, it was about a 50/50 mix of mulies and whitetails. Here in central Colorado, whitetails were more prevalent a decade ago, but their numbers have seemed to decline along with the mulie numbers in recent years.

Matt

23-Dec-21

Dirtman's Link
One was harvested in WI a few years back!

23-Dec-21
Is that map historical range? Or current?

23-Dec-21
Local taxidermist said he shot one in WV. It was a nice deer.

23-Dec-21
Pretty sure we don’t have mule deer in Iowa!

23-Dec-21
Virtually unlimited deer tags in Kansas has eliminated the mule deer in the central and west central part of the state. That has nothing to do with habitat, simply too many hunters taking out the low hanging fruit.

23-Dec-21
I suspect most of the mule deer that are killed anywhere east of the Mississippi River come from high-fence operations, or are escapees from them.

Matt

23-Dec-21
A young 3x3 was killed during youth season about 5-10 years ago in Jasper County, Iowa which is one county east of the county Des Moines is in. It was brought to the Iowa Deer Classic. A fellow measurer also killed young buck in NE Iowa.

24-Dec-21
Yeah wildwilderness, have seen the map that Stix shared, but don't believe its current though, likely historical...

25-Dec-21
One is killed in MN about once every ten or fifteen years.

25-Dec-21
I’ve spent MANY hours behind the wheel between Denver/Laramie & Mpls - taking both 80 and 90 - and don’t think I’ve ever seen a mulie east of the Neb panhandle. I don’t suppose there’s any reason they couldn’t make their way out along the plat for the Missouri as far as they want to go, but I’ve sure never caught them in the act…

25-Dec-21
Corax: if you get off the I-80/Platte River corridor and into the hills, mulies in Nebraska will range much further east.

25-Dec-21
Are we talking about 'you might see one occasionally' or 'I'd travel there to hunt them and expect to see them' ?

You have an outside chance of seeing moose here but it's the edge of their habitat, not a destination.

25-Dec-21
Yeah, "I'd travel there to hunt them and expect to see them"...

27-Dec-21
There has been a mule deer shot in every county of South Dakota. Thats why there are none left here, keep heading west, you should run into one sooner of later.

27-Dec-21
I had a cousin see one in Fredonia Kansas a few year ago. It's the only one he has ever seen there in 30 plus years of living there.

• Sitka Gear