Bowfreak 29-Dec-21
Charlie Rehor 30-Dec-21
WV Mountaineer 30-Dec-21
Bowfreak 30-Dec-21
WV Mountaineer 30-Dec-21
Charlie Rehor 30-Dec-21
Rob in VT 31-Dec-21
29-Dec-21
I finally broke down and ordered some Sitka Gear. Specifically I have added the Stratus Jacket and a Fanatic Hoody. I already have good base layers and will add the Stratus bib before next year. My old Day One fleece works great until you get wind and then it is like being naked. My question is....with a heavy merino base layer, will the Fanatic Hoody serve as a mid layer under the Stratus or should I look at adding something like my Uncompahgre? I know my puffy isn't Sitka but I promise no one will see my mismatched camo. :)

This is going to be for mid to late season whitetail in KY. My Day one stuff could keep me comfortable in the mid 20s but with wind I need to add about 10 degrees to be comfortable.

29-Dec-21
I've got the fanatic hoody and had the stratus jacket, no way those two with merino base will keep you warm on stand below 40. You will have to do some serious layering for any real cold you might get in KY.

29-Dec-21
Right now I wear a synthetic base layer and and uninsulated fleece jacket and it works pretty good. Insulated bibs also helps. If I can add the Stratus as an outer layer to this it would be warmer. The fleece is lightweight but still might be tight under the Stratus.

29-Dec-21
Bowfreak,

I might have more “natural” insulation than Scappy… 35-40 degrees for me is a thin base layer, polar base, fanatic hoodie and strays vest. A little below that I will add a Celsius jacket.

In the 20s and lower, the Fanatic vest or coat and bibs. Wind always plays a factor. Guys here convinced me of the benefits of layering. Good luck!

29-Dec-21
Bowfreak,

I might have more “natural” insulation than Scappy… 35-40 degrees for me is a thin base layer, polar base, fanatic hoodie and strays vest. A little below that I will add a Celsius jacket.

In the 20s and lower, the Fanatic vest or coat and bibs. Wind always plays a factor. Guys here convinced me of the benefits of layering. Good luck!

29-Dec-21
HFW,

Do you do lightweight base layer>polar weight base layer>Fanatic Hoody>stratus vest?

How about your bottoms when you run this?

29-Dec-21
Yes, and stratus pants with base. Sorry!

29-Dec-21
You probably know Stratus has the wind breaker stuff. That really makes a difference for me.

29-Dec-21
Yes. That is why I started with the Stratus. My weak link of my current setup is wind.

30-Dec-21
Early season or freezing January winds I wear my fanatic hoody on every hunt.

30-Dec-21
Just a little food for thought. I don’t own the fanatic hoody. Only the fanatic vest, jacket, and heavyweight pullover.

I couldn’t justify the hoodie. Because it doesn’t breath well. I need all my under layers to breath well. So, I opted for the vest and jacket. In the cooler and cold mornings, I wore a synthetic base, a 280 weight merino base layer, a heavy weight core pullover, and the vest. Stayed toasty warm without getting that clammy feeling.

For the first time in my life, I didn’t have to carry a second next to skin layer to change into once I got to where I was starting to hunt. I just put the layers on over my sweated up polyester base layer, then the vest, and baked myself dry. Within minutes. FWIW, the coldest I hunted this year was 8 degrees. I wore the vest 99% of the time due to the length of the walk in.

Not sure if you are committed to the system you asked about. Just saying that a base layer or two and the vest is good at any temps as long as the wind isn’t howling. A base layer or two is good with any temp and wind if you wear the fanatic jacket. Eliminating the need for a bunch of binding layers.

30-Dec-21
Justin,

I'm not really married to anything at this point other than the Stratus line for wind proofing. It is more suited for me as I typically am not hunting real cold weather. I went with the Stratus as I think I would get much more use out of it than the Fanatic. Even 20s are not common anymore in January. It will be a hodge podge for me this year as I am going to finish out this year with my insulated Day one bibs. My lower body never gets cold it is just my upper body with the wind whipping through.

30-Dec-21
I completely understand. Didn’t know it stayed that warm in your neck of the woods. And, the fanatic vest or jacket would be over kill.

If you ever need cold weather hunting outerwear, get the fanatic. I’m a tight wad and it’s easily the best bargain I’ve ever gotten for anything hunting related. I hate packing the dang thing stuff for miles but, I’ll gladly do it. I’ve never had a jacket or vest that was so warm but, breathable enough to allow a synthetic base layer that gets good and sweated up on the walk in, dry so fast. It’s just an instant heat rush as soon as you put it on. And, I’m dry in minutes. I really like the vest and jacket.

30-Dec-21
Early season or freezing January winds I wear my fanatic hoody on every hunt.

31-Dec-21
I am with Charlie on this, the hoodie is my most used piece of Sitka clothing. Built in face mask is perfect.

31-Dec-21
I added a Kelvin vest this year. Love it and wear most times when temps dip below 30. Best of luck.

• Sitka Gear