tradi-doerr 11-Jan-22
bowhunter24 11-Jan-22
Paul@thefort 12-Jan-22
Dale06 12-Jan-22
sitO 12-Jan-22
deerhunter72 16-Jan-22
08-Jan-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
January 5th. just got in the blind and 16 geese show up quickly. Killed one, 15 geese heading out. Good morning so far. Snow on the ground, Feels like a hunting day.
January 5th. just got in the blind and 16 geese show up quickly. Killed one, 15 geese heading out. Good morning so far. Snow on the ground, Feels like a hunting day.
Heading out. The beauty of bow hunting for geese is they do not know what just happened.
Heading out. The beauty of bow hunting for geese is they do not know what just happened.
another goose for the pot
another goose for the pot
before I can get Chase out to make the retrieve, another flock come by.
before I can get Chase out to make the retrieve, another flock come by.

08-Jan-22

The flock circles back and lands within 22 yards
The flock circles back and lands within 22 yards
This flock seems suspicious, and starts to move away. I shoot and clip one., blood trail. At 32 yards and pick out another, but the arrow flies just over its back. Gone, even the one I clipped.
This flock seems suspicious, and starts to move away. I shoot and clip one., blood trail. At 32 yards and pick out another, but the arrow flies just over its back. Gone, even the one I clipped.

08-Jan-22

An hour later I hear a lone goose over the lake, I give out my best, "here I am, come on over" call. Must have worked, goose lands 21 yards away.
An hour later I hear a lone goose over the lake, I give out my best, "here I am, come on over" call. Must have worked, goose lands 21 yards away.
A well placed arrow welcomes the goose.
A well placed arrow welcomes the goose.
Chase knows something just happened and is now eager to go. Off like a rocket! Almost 13 years and still has the passion.
Chase knows something just happened and is now eager to go. Off like a rocket! Almost 13 years and still has the passion.
Well, this surely deserves a treat. Great Job Chase.
Well, this surely deserves a treat. Great Job Chase.

08-Jan-22

A good day with lots of excitement and shooting. I will find the two arrow I lost under the snow next spring.
A good day with lots of excitement and shooting. I will find the two arrow I lost under the snow next spring.
the flock with the clipped goose headed across the high way to the big lake. I stopped on my way home thinking the clipped goose was there. They all flew away. Is that blood on the ice??
the flock with the clipped goose headed across the high way to the big lake. I stopped on my way home thinking the clipped goose was there. They all flew away. Is that blood on the ice??

08-Jan-22
Looks like blood from here.

08-Jan-22

Hunt number 11, this morning January 8th. Cloudy, warmer , 26 degrees, wind from right to left from the NW. Sunrise
Hunt number 11, this morning January 8th. Cloudy, warmer , 26 degrees, wind from right to left from the NW. Sunrise
good flock, hear the call, see the decoys but 50 yards away they land.
good flock, hear the call, see the decoys but 50 yards away they land.
they look around for danger and then calm down
they look around for danger and then calm down
a pair of geese head for the decoys, to within 25 yards
a pair of geese head for the decoys, to within 25 yards

08-Jan-22

lets try this again, a pair of geese head for the decoys and to within 25 yards, (no elk this time).
lets try this again, a pair of geese head for the decoys and to within 25 yards, (no elk this time).
I shoot high. The geese fly back to the flock which stays around for another 15 minutes. Do not need live decoys out of range. Chase, chases them away.
I shoot high. The geese fly back to the flock which stays around for another 15 minutes. Do not need live decoys out of range. Chase, chases them away.
Five minutes later, I hear a lone goose, I call and in a few minutes, it just drops in, and within range.
Five minutes later, I hear a lone goose, I call and in a few minutes, it just drops in, and within range.
I know I hit it, but it flies out over the pond and crashes in mid air to the ice. A job for Chase
I know I hit it, but it flies out over the pond and crashes in mid air to the ice. A job for Chase

08-Jan-22
That’s a great big goose there Paul ! ;-)

Paul and Chase, the goose getters of Ft. Collins !

08-Jan-22

I check the ice and then send him out for the retrieve. Nicely done.
I check the ice and then send him out for the retrieve. Nicely done.
Good goose
Good goose
A treat? Hell yes
A treat? Hell yes

08-Jan-22

Fifteen minutes later, more geese coming in but too far out.
Fifteen minutes later, more geese coming in but too far out.
and 15 second later, more geese. Now 27 in the field but too far for a good shot. Wait!
and 15 second later, more geese. Now 27 in the field but too far for a good shot. Wait!
But wait, this lone goose land and likes my spread better than the live ones. Who knows? And in range.
But wait, this lone goose land and likes my spread better than the live ones. Who knows? And in range.
should be an easy shot. It was
should be an easy shot. It was

08-Jan-22

Good retrieve for Wonder Dog
Good retrieve for Wonder Dog
Another excellent day in the goose field. I am taking a break and will be ice fishing for trout next week for a few days. Thanks for following. More to come.
Another excellent day in the goose field. I am taking a break and will be ice fishing for trout next week for a few days. Thanks for following. More to come.

08-Jan-22
This is great. The last Gray's Journal had a pix thread of a Jack Russell retrieving big geese, it was something to see. My son's lab is ten and looks greyer than yours.

08-Jan-22
Hey Dave, Have you heard about Just For Men? It can work on dogs also. Just saying.

08-Jan-22
Nice Paul and Chase!!! Well done!!

08-Jan-22
Congrats. Another stellar season to this point Paul. Enjoy the break, but don’t forget to come back to entertain us.

—jim

08-Jan-22
Nicely done Paul! Hope you find time to resharpen BH’s while ripping lip!

Looking forward to Yard Hopper 12+

08-Jan-22
You guys are having a great season! Chase is surely in his element, pretty sure Paul is too.

08-Jan-22
Always enjoy the updates thanks Paul and Chase the wonder dog!

08-Jan-22
Paul we will allow you day of fishing but that’s it!! Great work Paul!

08-Jan-22
Well, Tricia told me that we need fresh fish and not more goose meat. You know what they say, about, A happy life? I usually do not use a shelter but like to sight fish so I purchased a two man portable shelter , dark in side, to be able to see fish in 8-10 feet of want, come by and take the lure. I will post pictures if successful. Thanks for the nice replies. Yea, Chase will stay home to get ready for the next big goose hunt.

10-Jan-22
Good stuff.

10-Jan-22
I enjoy your hunts. Love to see Chase getting his treats.

11-Jan-22
Always a fun hunt to follow. 2 thumbs up.

11-Jan-22
Thanks Bob, I have been thinking about not doing another Yard Hopper series, after 11 years, as the following is light but after a good response like yours and others, I might consider keeping on. A new dog/pup will be available next year as Chase might be on his last leg at the age of 13 next month. A new pup is planned in July. ie, Teal, ( another wonder dog. ). Thanks again for the encouragement. Bob.

11-Jan-22
Paul: I enjoy your hunts greatly. As a fellow dog lover seeing Chase do what he loves puts a smile on my face. My beloved Brittany lost her sight last November just short of her 8th birthday. I had to get another Brittany sooner than planned. I now have a one year old Brittany as a hunting companion. My blind dog still gets to go on an easy hunt now and then, but has to be protected from dangerous situations. Good luck with your new pup when you get it. New dogs can't replace past I ones, but find a new place in our hearts.

11-Jan-22
Lee, I agree, getting over the passing of ones treasured hunting dogs, is accomplished by "just purchasing a new one." This will be the 7th time doing that, but the memories of the past are still strong and cherished. my best, Paul

11-Jan-22

A long line of Pronghorn
A long line of Pronghorn
Yep, went ice fishing and caught 3, but what was uninspected was I saw big herd of elk and pronghorn, a few mule deer, one cow moose and the a mt lion cross the high way on my way home after dark. Well, just an average day in Colorado.

11-Jan-22
Awesome Paul!! Your yard hopper post's are always a great read! Hope you decide to keep doing them.

11-Jan-22
Paul do you use a metal detector to find your arrows under the grass?

12-Jan-22

While I do have a metal detector I have not needed it to find the arrows. I have added a bright orange shaft rap to all of my arrows, be it for these geese, turkeys, elk or deer. It has really helped find the arrows in the grass. The two I lost under the snow I will find them when the snow melts as I know the line of the shot. Have a lost a few even with the rap, yes, but I found a lot more that I might have lost.

12-Jan-22
Really like reading your posts, Paul. I’m also a big advocate of bright colored wraps.

12-Jan-22
That is one FAT fish! It's always a pleasure, the pics and the stories, thanks Paul.

16-Jan-22
Paul, I for one greatly enjoy your Yard Hopper threads and I hope you will consider continuing. I’m sure many, many others enjoy it as well even if they don’t comment. Good luck with the new pup! Be good to have Chase mentor the youngster for as long as possible.

• Sitka Gear