LINK 10-Jan-22
Tdwhip 10-Jan-22
timex 10-Jan-22
Bowman 11-Jan-22
scndwfstlhntng 11-Jan-22
timex 12-Jan-22
scndwfstlhntng 12-Jan-22
09-Jan-22
I have thought this from time to time but over the last few years I have thought about it more and more.

For many years, I hunted for the excitement, the adrenaline rush, and probably because my genetics told me I was a hunter-gatherer. But over the last few years, I have had to admit that although I still get excited, that is not the main reason. I think why I continue to hunt is that it grounds me and gives me an escape from this fast paced, troubled, crazy world. It gives me something that I control, no one else. I frequently lose sleep over some conflict or problem at work, some stress in life (finances, family or the "C" word!). But when I hunt, I can leave all those issues behind. I sleep well on hunts! It is just me against my quarry. It doesn't matter or bother me that you might hunt in a different way: my hunt, my rules. Only I decide if I am successful, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says, even on here! And same applies to you, you set your own bar.

That one on one connection to the natural world (and who made it) restores my soul, and renews me to come back and deal with life. And over time, it's less about whether or not I bring home an animal. Some of my best hunts have been when I didn't get an animal. Again, I am in control of setting that bar. And it is different from everyone. That is the beauty of it. And what I think doesn't matter for your hunt.

I pull the trigger much less these days (except when I see a pig!) Haven't punched a tag in Texas in 3 years, but I buy a license every year and hunt probably 20+ days. And I do get lots of joy out of taking young people hunting. That still gets my adrenalin pumping.

I think someone else summed up most of what I feel:

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting

Spanish philosopher & politician (1883 - 1955)

P.S. Elk hunting still gets my adrenaline going!

09-Jan-22
You use being out there as an escape. Many folks do that including myself. As you get older and wiser, you realize there are other aspects of the hunt that bring enjoyment and peace besides the kill.

09-Jan-22
txhunter, I could not have expressed it any better myself.

09-Jan-22
You’re not alone. I feel the same way. The woods are my church.

10-Jan-22
well said.

10-Jan-22
Hunting & fishing is not something I do. It's what I am. I'm a hunter & fisherman. Family & work comes first. Other than that Hunting & fishing is always at the top of the list. Always has been always will be. I believe I'd go insane without it. It's how I escape the pressures of life.

10-Jan-22
Well said, TXhunter

10-Jan-22
That's the real world and I try to be as natural a part of it as possible.... hunt and gather without unnatural influences. Keeps me grounded. It's not about sport, slaying the beast, or self-gratuitiveness. It's being integral with the natural world that calls me, connects me and allows it all to be so simple and genuine. Death if/when it comes is merely a consequence, not a climax, not a trophy. I feel more at home there. Humans have wandered too far from nature.

10-Jan-22
And even if it is his ultimate goal, no true mountaineer would ever be satisfied to have the summit given to him without the climb.

10-Jan-22
Great post and I agree.

10-Jan-22
I just have to hope before some more Non hunting threads reach 1000, that people posting on those realize that Bowsite too is one of our escapes from the stresses of life.

10-Jan-22
Bump

10-Jan-22

10-Jan-22
As strange as this sounds the past season was kind of a let down for me in ways. I shot the biggest bear I've ever shot, but on the second day of the hunt. I shot the biggest whitetail I've ever shot on the opening day of season.

In ways it felt like I skipped the climbing part of reaching the summit and honestly missed it.

10-Jan-22
bump

10-Jan-22
Way too many people today buy the summit and think they've made the climb.

10-Jan-22
Enjoy the outdoors..... been in it nearly every day my entire life. So "nature" isn't something too occasional for me. But yes, many ways it is "my Church".

But if not for hunting..... I wouldn't be going to church very often. If outdoors is a church, hunting is my Disneyland. My Las Vegas, my..... well, you get the idea. Along with my supermarket, restaurant and gym. I'm.... older. But have lost none of the drive, maybe even kicked up a bit. It's the sole reason I try to eat well, stay fit. While I'm seeing so many of my long time friends get fat, lazy, sliding down into that gulch on their backside. And you know seeing it they will never come back out of that hole. Buried many just the last few years. Very few things I would give up hunting and fishing for. I think there was only two or three weeks I didn't in the last year. (one week was to bury a brother) And IMO, for me.... anyone who would demand me not to.... would not be worth giving it up for.

Like Clint said, "we all got it coming to us kid" but I plan on going out screaming, kicking and fighting, maybe on a mountain packing out someones animal. Not rolling over in bed with a whimper because I had no passion for life or adventure left. In a perfect world, maybe a long walk on a short mountain......

10-Jan-22
Glad this post came up. One of the very reasons I joined here a few years back.

It’s funny, many of us have never met but the relationships developed over the years certainly has its value.

Why the hunt matters.. well the non hunting public will never know and never understand.

As you age, and realize time is priceless, time afield gives one time to reflect and be thankful you get to do this.

This year for me, I went about it a whole new way. While I did my normal preparations, and focused on a target whitetail all summer long, then when the season rolled around, I let the hunt happen. I was fortunate to have the entire month of October and the first two weeks of November to work remotely.

When the weather was good, I went, when it sucked, I didn’t. I seemed to enjoy more of what I almost lost. The desire. By letting things happen, they happened, each day afield.

I enjoyed just being, learning more, listening and riding the E Bike.

Fortunately the time was right to use the decoy and killed a very nice buck over him. Not my target, but a really nice buck. I appreciate this animal as if it was my target.

Shared the recovery with friends and a cold one. Laughs by all.

The hunt does matter in more ways than we know.

10-Jan-22
Perfectly put David, perfectly put !

10-Jan-22
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job." Good post Very well said

10-Jan-22
I learned these lessons long ago, and limited advancements in my weaponry.

10-Jan-22
Well said. The outdoors aren’t my church though. I choose to worship the creator not the created. Nature is one of the easiest places to do that though.

10-Jan-22
"Way too many people today buy the summit and think they've made the climb." We should all remember that. I for one hunt with a bow, not because it's easy but because it's hard most of the time.

10-Jan-22

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
As a young boy it was actually my chores after school to go to the pond & catch brem as my father called them or to the tobacco barns & shoot pigeons for supper. Hunting & fishing is no longer my chores however in my family eating fish & game is just as important as when I was a child. In my older years the killing part of hunting & fishing is perhaps the least enjoyable aspects of it to me. But also in my 50 some od years of hunting & fishing I've gotten pretty darn good at it.

11-Jan-22
A passion that unites us all. Showing that it is more than a final result. It is as much what leads up to that point. Something the non hunting community doesn't understand

11-Jan-22
Nicely written and well put. I beleive that this gentleman (whom I do not know) is sharing with us his maturation as a hunter and human being, and going through the steps of change laid out in The Defense of Hunting. I have experienced this same transition although at nearly 70, probably a little further down this road and have let at least a handful of deer pass without a taking a shot this season (one is in the freezer). It is after all, the being there that counts for us as we recognize our need for this outdoor world's stimlations, and not the other way around.

12-Jan-22

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
This doe was at 35 yards & I have pics of dozens of others. I probably only kill about 10% of the deer that I could if I wanted to.

12-Jan-22

I just read a story on a site called “ FIELD ETHOS” THE GLOBAL HUNT FOR ADVENTURE”

The writer hunted bear and early in the season Found what he thought would make a nice bear den. After hunting all season without killing a bear. he remembers the den, goes back and there is a bear in the hole.

The bear wakes and he kind of brags about making sure there were no Cubs and shoots the bear in the head. He doesn’t mention which state or Provence.

I guess technically he didn’t shoot the bear in the den. it came out after he woke it. Is this legal in any state?

He shot it on Christmas Eve if that helps narrow down which states are still hunting bears till Christmas Day

Legal or not, in my opinion it’s not fair chase.

12-Jan-22
Shot it in the head? With an arrow? Not even a question of the legality in my mind...just what an A..h... And you wonder why hunting is fighting for survival? First off: doing that, and secondly telling people about it.

• Sitka Gear