Buffalo1 15-Jan-22
Bou'bound 15-Jan-22
Buffalo1 15-Jan-22
Bou'bound 15-Jan-22
Shug 16-Jan-22
Buffalo1 17-Jan-22
Bou'bound 17-Jan-22
11-Jan-22
Anyone have any experience on twisting cables on a compound bow to get a few extra lbs of draw weight?

If so, would be interested in listening to your experiences. How much can you twist? How many lbs per twist revolution ? Max number of twist ?

11-Jan-22
Yes and it was a big help. I think you need to be sure the draw length isnt altered or you can adjust it too at the same Time but I was able to get 8 pounds more on a 70 pound bow by a few twists.

I was actually told This by a Hoyt rep in an archery shop where I was Looking at a 70 pound bow and told him I really wanted something that would be closer to 80 for moose and he made the adjustment right there and came in at 78 everything else was fine and I bought that bow and killed that moose. You don’t have to twist of much to pick up noticeable pounds

12-Jan-22
Yes, yes you can. Twist the cables but not the actual string. You can also "detune" by leaving the limbs fully tightened down and lowering draw weight by taking twist out of the cables. In my experience (this isn't golden) one twist of each cable equates to about 1½ lbs. of draw weight. I'm sure every bow/brand varies.

12-Jan-22
You'll need to add twists to increase draw weight. But, keep in mind that will also increase the draw length.

12-Jan-22
So you need to twist the string back if material.

14-Jan-22
We did 4 twist per cable this aft and increased overall poundage by 2 lbs. I did notice a slightly longer draw length. Think I will probably have to twist string to shorten draw length.

14-Jan-22
My finds are..Adding twists to the string takes weight off and will shorten the DL. Taking twists out will lengthen DL and add weight… the exact opposite is true if you do it to the cable..

I don’t think I got that much more weight on before the DL change was too much … maybe a couple pounds.

14-Jan-22
Dbl post

15-Jan-22
Shug are you talking twisting “bow string” or “cables”?

15-Jan-22
Shortening the cables lengthens the draw length both of which add to increase poundage

If the slightly increased draw length is a problem you’ll need to shorten the string by twisting it to get it back to the Right draw length now that the cables are shorter

that way you’ll only be increasing your weight based on the cable twist because the draw length will be back to where it was

The way this was explained to me by the Hoyt rep referenced above is that the shorter cables are putting more pre-stress in the limbs and your weight is coming from the limbs doing more than they were with the normal cable length

I have no idea of the physics or science or mechanics of this I only know that it worked significantly on multiple bowls without problem allowing me if needed to get additional weight beyond which the fully cranked down limbs would otherwise give

15-Jan-22
Bou, Thanks for explanation. I'm not a physicist or rocket scientist either.

I'm kinda like Dale Earnhardt- don't need to know the details on the problem, just want to get back on the track and race !

15-Jan-22
How’d that strategy work out for him?

15-Jan-22
Ha- one of the best NASCAR drivers ever. And a man who loves to hunt.

15-Jan-22
He hasn’t hunted in 20 years

16-Jan-22
Greg ..: either one… each does the exact opposite

17-Jan-22
Well- today it was like the end of a one-night-stand !! I played with "twisted cables" all weekend. Things just did not feel right as much as I wanted them to. I realized I was being lured by chasing speed and losing draw comfort and accuracy.

Got strings untwisted this aft. I have apologized to my bow and we are back together again as a team.

17-Jan-22
Good decision if it was not right for you.

• Sitka Gear