Zbone 16-Jan-22
Huntiam 28-Jan-22
Northstickhunter 28-Jan-22
13-Jan-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Dustin Huff buck
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Dustin Huff buck
I know it’s a crossbow kill, shot by Dustin Huff of Indiana in November.

The buck was officially scored at 211 1/2 and is the biggest buck shot in a decade.

Missed Hanson’s WR by just 2 1/8. Would have been a new WR in PY. And will be (after panel measurement) the all time #2.

Crazy!

13-Jan-22
We were too busy arguing about vaccines, Pat. ;-)

Matt

13-Jan-22
is that the one shot off the porch?

13-Jan-22
We don’t talk bowhunting here anymore . COVID and politics took over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hunt

13-Jan-22
nevermind thats a different deer

13-Jan-22
Any other pics of it? From that pic, I’m not seeing 211” gross, let alone net.

EDIT: pulled up some better pics, and the pic posted above does the deer no justice!

13-Jan-22

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Amazing whitetail!

13-Jan-22
That IS a spectacular buck, but I'm with T-Roy, I think I see 170ish inches of antlers. He's got great mass. I'd love to see some more pics that offer different views/perspectives.

BTW I'm not an official judge so my opinion is not an educated one. Great deer though!

13-Jan-22
Wow!

13-Jan-22
6x6, tine length, main beam length, mass, spread. All of those in one rack. I see 211"

Awesome buck is an understatement!!!

13-Jan-22
https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/dustin-huff-record-deer-scored/?fbclid=IwAR29mzLLmTBtiBjYzfEcuoggLmImvp2nRxKhQ9ybaTxJz7KEIG9djRSVx1M

13-Jan-22
Droopy ears lol

13-Jan-22
the real question is how old is it :(

what a fantastic whitetail - once in a lifetime

13-Jan-22
Fantastic deer! Congrats to the hunter!!

13-Jan-22
How much did it weigh? That's the important thing. ;-)

13-Jan-22
I don't care what it actually scores, or what anyone "sees" in the score. I would shoot it and be hystatic!

13-Jan-22
I see 40+ inches of mass 60” of beam length 20” spread and a crap ton of tine length. If you look at the buck and don’t see 200+ inches you need to get your eyes examined.

13-Jan-22
Wow!

13-Jan-22
Incredible animal.

13-Jan-22
Congrats to Dustin, that's an incredible buck.

13-Jan-22
What a beautiful deer!

Jaq I'm pretty sure that Xbow weighs 13 pounds.

13-Jan-22
Incredible buck!

But I thought crossbow kills were not eligible for P&Y?

13-Jan-22
They aren’t

13-Jan-22
Beast for sure.

13-Jan-22
What a stud!

13-Jan-22
This is in Boone and Crockett, not Pope and Young FYI. #2 in the world overall-NOT archery.

13-Jan-22
One hell of a buck, yes, shot with a gun for Boone and Crockett.

13-Jan-22
I never imagined a day I'd be glad to see a crossbow kill on bowsite just because it's hunting related and not about covid or politics.

Congrats to the hunter.

13-Jan-22
All over Facebook a while ago

13-Jan-22
Wow!! What a specimen.

13-Jan-22
I LOVE to see big bucks...........................NO MATTER what they were taken with! ;-)

13-Jan-22
He doesn't appear handicapped.

13-Jan-22
What an incredible deer. Just goes to prove: If you ain't first yer last.

13-Jan-22
Helluva buck ! Hell, I’d run over that one in my F150 !

(If it didn’t ruin the meat) ;-)

13-Jan-22
Quite a deer. I'm no fan of crossbows during bow season so it is what it is. I'm sure that was pretty exciting.

13-Jan-22
Congrats to the hunter on a nice kill regardless of weapon. :-)

13-Jan-22
Beautiful deer, I agree that first picture didn't do that deer justice. That second photo shows how large that buck truly is. Great composed photo as well.

Forgive me, I don't know much on scoring and deductions, but how significant is that extra point on that bucks left brow tine to the net score? If it wasn't there, do you think it would have made a difference between the WR and #2? Not that it matters, just wondering.

13-Jan-22
Forgive me but what state state?

13-Jan-22
holy freakin moly!

13-Jan-22
The world: Second highest scoring typical whitetail deer ever shot, found or hit by a car. Ever.

Bowsite peeps: “meh, I don’t see it.” Not impressed.

13-Jan-22
WOW!!! No matter what weapon was use that is an incredible animal!!!

13-Jan-22
Ok, now that I see the second picture, that's definitely 200 inches plus. The first pic was not as definitive. The second picture is jaw-dropping.

13-Jan-22
Wonder if the shooter realizes what he would have done if he would have used a bow.

13-Jan-22
"Wonder if the shooter realizes what he would have done if he would have used a bow."

Wounded or missed?

13-Jan-22
Beautiful Whitetail

13-Jan-22
I don't care what weapon Dustin used... Was he vaccinated? That is the question. ;0)

13-Jan-22
Nice! Thanks for posting.

13-Jan-22
I consider it equivalent of being poached. State sanctioned poaching. What a waste.

13-Jan-22
I am usually on the side of hunters choice when it comes to crossbows... but I must admit, last year a neighbor got a really decent 140" and that is a nice deer for WNY. Well I stopped to check it out... he shot with crossbow in a heated high rise 75 yds off a main rd... directly across from his driveway. Like I started, looking at that fine buck and listening to his story. I literally walked away shaking my head.

13-Jan-22
Some of th3e comments above refute the philosophy that it is all about the animal. Taht animal is that animal regardless of if the projectile puncture his vitals was a bullet, a bolt, or an arrow.

If you’re talking about the weapon used that changes the hunting degree of difficulty challenge and that reflects accomplishment of the hunter who killed it and what they did or didn’t put into it

but if it’s about the animal and its rarity that has nothing to do with how it died ………that’s all about how it lived and what it became

13-Jan-22
Agreed Bou, but some of them don't.

It's a an absolutely amazing animal, but it isn't an archery kill. Still an unbelievable feat to kill a deer like this, but it would be even greater if it was a bow kill.

13-Jan-22
Once paneled, this buck will most likely be the world’s record for the new crossbow only record keeping organization (Bolt & Quarrel). It’s a tremendous whitetail.

13-Jan-22
Bou, if your on the up and up... sometimes it's hard to desern, I agree with your post. This past season a nice buck came to within 9 yds, I was holding a crossbow at the time... straight on brisket, I passed up on the opportunity. After careful consideration assessing the sequence of events, I was happy with my decision. I would have been more comfortable with myself if I shot that buck with my Ross compound. Ends up neighbor shot that same buck new year eve, hours within his brother passing away... im glad with my decision.

13-Jan-22
Pat, I use to get deleted off your site about the x-bow/gun use to be in the rules. What happen, the more it is shown on here the more acceptance it becomes. Sorry to see the standards drop and so has bow hunting but the bow sponsors are pushing them and help your bottom line, your house your standards. Nice buck too bad how it was killed.

13-Jan-22
Read that some local bow hunters were after this buck. Imagine hunting a world record that could have broken the longest standing P&Y world record going, the most hunted animal in North America. Wow. Incredible buck! Wish it would have been taken with a conventional bow!

13-Jan-22
Too bad he was too crippled up to shoot it with a REAL archery tackle!.

13-Jan-22
I live in Indiana and personally don’t give a rip about this deer. It was taken via gun and on private land. I am a public land bowhunter and this state has non-existent trophy buck quality on our public due to a liberal 16 day peak rut firearm season. There are no quotas on neither gun hunter numbers nor xgun hunter numbers on public land. And ten years of xguns saturating the public has raped buck quality. I’m just not interested in anything to do with Indiana except turkey hunting, which is excellent due to conservative management. I refuse to waste a single day deer hunting on our public. My ruts are spent in Illinois & Iowa. And all forced down our throats by corrupt politicians bribed by Ravin, circumventing professional wildlife managers. What could possibly go wrong???

Congrats to the shooter and to those who are interested in this buck. But myself? I’m far more interested in my best ever year and the two bucks I will be entering in Pope & Young this weekend. The fact is this shooter will be entering zero (0).

13-Jan-22
Hahahah Midwest!! I was thinking the same thing lol

13-Jan-22
Now Why would you go and ruin this good Covid board with the posting of such a beautiful whitetail!!!

13-Jan-22

13-Jan-22
Beautiful deer congrats to Dustin

13-Jan-22
I am curious to how old the deer was… genuinely.

13-Jan-22
Zim,

If the buck quality in IN is so bad how did it grow this deer? Maybe it is on public ground, but something good happened at least once in your state.

13-Jan-22
I wonder how many hunters passed on this deer to allow it to get the size it is?

13-Jan-22
Ironbow, You need to clarify your comment. I think you meant to say “private”. I think I made myself quite clear. If you like looking at a gun kill, enjoy. I come to Bowsite because I’m an archer.

13-Jan-22
awesome deer.

Priceless comment Midwest! Couple of guides and myself laughed at that one

Could you be more bitter Zim ? Good lord man get some help

13-Jan-22
"Could you be more bitter Zim ? Good lord man get some help"

Made me smile!

13-Jan-22
This buck is the poster child for corrupt crossgun politicians like Brent Steele, Johnny Nugent, Jim Lewis, Richard Young & Jerry Costello. Your self proclaimed 21st century “wildlife managers”. Not mine.

I’m not bitter about the buck. I just don’t care about it in the least. I am bitter about bribed criminals masquerading as deer managers. They are tools. In 2019 I was forced to move my family from Illinois due to corrupt politicians bankrupting the state finances. In 2020 I was forced to move my deer hunting from Indiana due to corrupt politicians bankrupting public land deer quality. Just so a handful of crooks can line their pockets with Ravin bribe money. Your dam right I’m bitter. I have a good right to be.

13-Jan-22
Great buck but the comments are priceless!

13-Jan-22

13-Jan-22
Every one of us should be bitter about every last crossgunned deer poached during archery season.

13-Jan-22
Just read about it and saw picture today in this week's "Outdoor News" and now here, he was/is a beauty!

13-Jan-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Like your wildlife managed like this? Because that’s what this is all about.

Don’t forget these names: Brent Steele, Johnny Nugent, Jim Lewis, Richard Young & Jerry Costello. The money is gone. But their legacy remains.

14-Jan-22
I'm not as anti crossbow as I used to be, but I don't love them. However, if using a crossbow made shooting deer like this as easy as some of you are inferring. Almost every damn one of you anti crossbow guys would be using one. Some of you make it sound like a crossbow hunter just has to show up with his/her crossbow. Then the world class buck of their choice falls over dead for trophy pics. There is still some hunting involved for most I'm sure. They probably even have to hunt as "hard" as some of us do on guided hunts with a vertical bow. Don't crucify me, I just like to play devil's advocate sometimes. No matter what it was killed with, it's one hell of a buck.

14-Jan-22
Rocky D, You are showing your youth, ignorance, and arrogance by casting bought and paid for legislators Brent Steele, Johnny Nugent, Jim Lewis, Richard Young & Jerry Costello in a positive light. Congratulations that you heartily approve of their method of “wildlife management”. Technically legal by their standards?…..yes. Ethical by anyone‘s standards???……HELL NO!!!

Now kindly stop putting words in my mouth. I simply stated the fact that I personally am not interested in this buck. If you revere it, knock yourself out. My criticism is over the corrupt politicians with no wildlife educations ruining my sport, not the deer nor the weapon used. They are the ones who changed the classification of crossgun to archery.

But how could I expect anything less from someone hailing from a state with a 3 freakin month long firearm season encompassing the entirety of three ruts and a 2 buck/12 deer bag limit! Good lord. No wonder I see so many Georgia plates in Illinois & Iowa every November. Certainly takes bad deer management to another stratosphere. Lol

14-Jan-22
Rocky D, At 61, I think I’ve been around the block a few times as well. You post a lot of words, but zero of them address my only complaint! Regarding corrupt politicians making wildlife law. What up, bro?!

14-Jan-22

14-Jan-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Rocky, Please tell me this is a typo in your Georgia hunting regs. A 3 month firearm deer season? Ya gots to be crappin me, right?

14-Jan-22
Zim Just cuz u can’t kill em don’t mean they ain’t there . Come to Virginia and try out some public if you wish, I bet within 3 days you would gladly go back to hunt Indiana public..

14-Jan-22
Huntiam, You need to read all the posts before spouting off. “Can’t kill ‘em”? WTF, I clearly stated I took two P&Y bucks this season alone. In fact I posted both on Bowsite previously. Look’em up. Yet another poster ignoring the white elephant in the room. Why not expound on the virtues of the fine legislators I listed??? Lol

14-Jan-22
Zim your words not mine “I refuse to waste a single day deer hunting on our public. My ruts are spent in Illinois & Iowa.” So u can’t kill em in Indiana right

14-Jan-22
Man this thread went off the rails quickly, but I guess it’s not all that surprising giving most do lately. This thread was to show a magnificent buck, one many hunters would just love to see in the wild. Can some of you guys just appreciate that magnificent animal for what it is and put your agenda aside or maybe not comment at all? Start your own thread maybe. We know the guys that don’t like crossbows in the archery season or baiting or having deer scored or mechanical broad heads or whatever else, because the same guys repeatedly post on threads over and over to be heard every chance they can get. I don’t necessarily agree with these things but there is a time and place for everything. You sound like vegans, as they have to announce they don’t like meat every chance they can get. This thread truly shows how ugly and divided we are as sportsmen and unfortunately it will eventually be our demise.

14-Jan-22
Huntiam, Why on god’s green earth would I hunt Indiana if I got an IL LL??? Lol. That’s just plain stupid talk. I have absolutely no interest in deer hunting Indiana. If you love it so much, knock yourself out. Now the white elephant awaits you.

14-Jan-22
Cause theirs 211 and 1/2 inch typcials there

14-Jan-22
Ya WAS one. Taken with a gun. On private land.

What’s your point? That since Virginia public land sucks so bad it justifies other states to degrade their public buck quality by liberalizing management?

14-Jan-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

14-Jan-22
Rocky D, the white elephant still awaits you.

14-Jan-22
Incredible, once-in-a-generation type of buck, regardless what weapon, state, season, etc. Of course it’d be cool if the guy had used regular archery gear, and the buck actually turned out to be a world record class for archery. But I’ll bet he’s quite happy with the buck he legally took. FWIW, we did discuss this buck a couple months back on the Bowsite main forum thread titled “Indiana State Record?”.

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494726&messages=41&forum=4

14-Jan-22
Rocky, Still not a word about greased politicians managing our deer. What up!? They got your approval?

14-Jan-22
I hold little disdain for gun hunters or crossbow hunters although I don't really like that crossbows are creeping into archery seasons. Hunting to me is compound bow hunting. Kills with other weapons don't really excite me. It's not that I'm not impressed with the deer killed with these weapons, it's just that it doesn't interest me that much. Same with the Hansen buck. Incredible deer, but the kill doesn't excite me. I get more enjoyment with the annual whitetail meat pole on this site. I know I'm somewhat hypocritical because I use a compound. But that's just who I am/how my views have been formed. So this buck, while amazing, doesn't excite me as much as if it were killed with a vertical bow. I'm more impressed/interested in some of the guys' kills on here.

14-Jan-22
Pat, I see what you did here. Nicely played. ;-)

Matt

14-Jan-22
IMO...the ultimate kills are the stick/recurve/string ones....I'm envious and salute those guys who have the skills to do that.

Compounds and crossbows are the same concept...no matter how ya lay it.....it's wheels, sights, triggers or usually releases. black powder would be the next in line, followed by pistol and then rifle. That said...I'm not a purist in a weapon-use sense....any legal kill is a good one in my book. I enjoy looking at pics/vids and reading the stories of a good hunt.

14-Jan-22
It has already been asked but I haven’t seen an answer.

Does anyone know how old the deer was?

I haven’t been around very many mature deer but it seems most trash up to much to break or get close to breaking the record.

14-Jan-22
He could be handicapped and have the Dave Easton disease. Nasty it is.

14-Jan-22
Awesome deer! I saw him on the internet back when The guy killed him and knew he was going to score well but I didn’t know he’d be that big -pretty amazing!

14-Jan-22
Folks moan if you don’t shoot a mature one, moan if you shoot a mature one with anything other than?

Nice deer, a no hesitator.

14-Jan-22
This site is great

14-Jan-22
This place is getting like Archery Talk .

14-Jan-22
Yep. SOLID proof. ZIM is f-ing Nuts. Moved his family due to deer hunting issues. OMG

I beg anyone out there to top that one !!

15-Jan-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Elfin Magic, Being from Texas, the land of leases, you don’t even belong in this thread. There is no public land there for legislators to exploit. The Midwest xgun issues here are beyond your comprehension level. I suggest you crawl back in your tree and get packin Fudge Stripes. They are running very low at Kroger.

15-Jan-22
Zim crossbows are taking over the market just like compound bows did at one time. Maybe for once the politicians listened to the people. At 61 you don’t have much more time before you join the enemy so stop the crying. LOL

15-Jan-22
Lol, no symmetry in mine. Will find out score in about two hours here. Got an 11:00 appointment with our local P&Y scorer. With 20”+ of extras he’ll definitely be entered as non-typical. I expect that will prevent him from making B&C though.

15-Jan-22
Slate, Get real. You should know by now politicians don’t listen to anyone except which ever lobbyist stuffs the most coin in their pocket. Of the five godfathers of crossguns in Indiana & Illinois, not a single one had a day of wildlife management nor biology in their educations. Two have only high school educations, and one even has a drunk driving conviction! That’s who manages our deer herds here. It’s no secret. Look it up. It’s all available online. Nice, huh?

15-Jan-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo

15-Jan-22
Zim someone is electing these scumbags into office.

15-Jan-22
Age is the issue not score with bucks growing abnormal points. And it's not that they become nontypicals, it's more that the older a buck gets, the more the opportunity to grow trash is present. The Hanson buck was only 4.5. This buck looks older than that so in some ways, this buck may be a better specimen?

Regardless, any buck over 200 net is an incredible deer. As Charlie Rehor puts it, a 200 inch buck is like a 7 foot human. Extremely rare. If anyone can get their hands on this bucks' official score sheet I'd love to see it. I imagine that kicker on his left G1 may be the reason it's not the new #1.

15-Jan-22
Mine will be close. I think.

15-Jan-22
Rocky, That’s why I didn’t post a photo of mine. Mine is a more common example of a typical transitioning into NT due to years of age.

15-Jan-22
IIll not likely shoot another this size in my life.

15-Jan-22
Mine did not quite make that upper tier level but did officially make both P&Y and B&C at 185 5/8” today.

15-Jan-22
Does he at least get credit for NOT having a trail cam photo of it?

15-Jan-22
“what a fantastic whitetail - once in a lifetime”

No way. We all have ish we got that one in our lifetime

That’s about a once in 20 million hunters lifetimes buck.

15-Jan-22
Absolutely magnificent animal...

Indiana will be the next whitetail hotspot...8^)

16-Jan-22
Was just looking at the map, heck that buck was shot around 20 miles from Cincinnati, heck, its an Ohio buck...8^)))

28-Jan-22
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=062QipEtjA4

Link and a story on the buck and 2 guys that was chasing him..he was documented going over 8 miles

28-Jan-22
Congrats to the hunter, yes a deer of many lifetimes, shot legally in fair chase ,what’s not to like , congrats again.

• Sitka Gear