Buffalo1 19-Jan-22
rooster 21-Jan-22
Pyrannah 21-Jan-22
jstephens61 21-Jan-22
Buffalo1 21-Jan-22
jstephens61 21-Jan-22
David A. 10-Feb-22
18-Jan-22
I received my Stay Sharp 344 sharpener designed for 3-blade BH's in the mail today. I will do some testing and then share my opinion.

18-Jan-22
Very interested in hearing your results Greg! TODDY

18-Jan-22
Good Deal let Us know

19-Jan-22

DanaC's Link

19-Jan-22
Don't care how good it is I won't buy anything from Rancid Crabtree.

19-Jan-22
I never needed a guide for a Montec style 3 blade. Is the only benefit that you have to remove the plastic guard/guide, then move it to the next blade, and prevent cutting yourself? My point is, gripping it with your thumb and forefinger achieves the same thing. I rotate mine after every swipe, and moving the guard every time seems a bit silly? All said, I did buy his replacement blade guide, but the angle on the Montec is 60 degrees which is essentially a flattened broadhead against a hard surface and your abbrassive paper.

19-Jan-22

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Looks like you have the option to put a 44 deg. hollow ground edge on your 3-blade.

19-Jan-22
What is Rancid Crabtree’s real name?

19-Jan-22
Ron Kulas

19-Jan-22
Ron Kulas is the name on the letter that is included in the sharpening device.

19-Jan-22
Looking forward to your thoughts and results, Greg. I’ve been using VPA 3 blades for several years, and I’ve had good success with them. I can get them fairly sharp using BB’s method, but not “scary” sharp. I’m also not overly impressed with the blood trails I’ve had when using the VPA’s. Not sure if there’s any correlation between the blade sharpness of my heads and the resulting blood trails I’ve experienced.

19-Jan-22
I’m pretty sure on my end, it’s most likely operator error, scoot.

19-Jan-22
In my opinion with those blades that are 60 degree edges, you are not seeing awesome blood trails because that edge is not severing arteries like a (let's say) a 25 degree edge will. To compare them, would be like a knife versus an axe versus a splitting maul. The sharper the degree of the edge, the sharper the edge will be, and I saw the same thing with G5 Montecs. They certainly are tough, and they pass through, but they never bled like I had hoped. Killed plenty of game with them, but they lacked good blood trails. I will sharpen them to an edge that will cut plenty. As a matter of fact, I hone them to 2500 grit. Mirror edge, and they still don't shave hair. They also lack a burr, because that angle is so great.

19-Jan-22
I sharpened a VPA head this aft. Too early to draw a conclusion. As the old saying goes, "just because you ride a horse once, doesn't make you a cowboy!'

I have more testing and experimenting to do before I reach a conclusion on the effectiveness of the sharpener. I will report my findings. TKS

21-Jan-22
I've had the same experience with VPA heads as t-roy and Scoot. I could get them "sharp" but never "grabby" or shaving sharp using BB's technique.

21-Jan-22
i thought i was the only one with the 3blade problem

switched to sliks and resharpen them to a scalpel like level

21-Jan-22
I switched to VPA heads last year cause I was tired of buying replacement blades. I use diamond stones to sharpen and they’ll cut hair and grab thumbnail but not shave. So far they’ve taken a hog and 4 deer. Not the greatest blood trails, but nothing went over 35 yards.

Not sure I have much to complain about.

21-Jan-22
I have reached a conclusion on my testing of the Stay Sharp 344 Sharper. I'm sticking with "what brought to the dance" for many years- Flat sharpening on diamond stones, and a leather strap with honing paste.

My Stay Shape 344 is for sale, if anyone has interest.

21-Jan-22
Thank you sir. This keeps me from thinking I need one.

10-Feb-22
Try the Stubby Jewelstik® Diamond Hone Sharpener from 3Rivers Archery. They get VPAs and other 3 blades sharper than diamond stones, etc. for me and quicker. There is also a bit of a difference in the VPAs sharpening ability. For example I find the 125 gr. version somewhat easier to sharpen than the 100 gr. as the existing bevel is slightly wider. But with the Jewelstick I can get both sharp enough to shave small hairs from the back of my wrist/hand. I typically do 3 strokes per side for awhile and then switch to one stroke per side. Just takes a minute or so. Hope this helps.

• Sitka Gear