Hancock West 20-Jan-22
Shaft2Long 20-Jan-22
Fran 20-Jan-22
Willcz 21-Jan-22
carcus 22-Jan-22
midwest 22-Jan-22
Whatthefoc 22-Jan-22
19-Jan-22
Anybody have experience with the 2021 Mathews VXR 31.5 compound bow? I know it'll be alot more updated than the 15year old reflex i have now but i want to make the right call. Back then Hoyt was all the talk in my area & now Mathews, Prime, & Bowtech seem to be mentioned more these days. I appreciate any advice you might have.

20-Jan-22

Whatthefoc's embedded Photo
@40m I find this VXR is hard on fletch.
@40m I find this VXR is hard on fletch.
pm sent

20-Jan-22
I had one, it was ok, stiff draw, it felt 5 pounds more than it was, fast though, bow was quiet and dead in hand, grip really sucks, I never shot the bow well so I sold it. I don't like that you have to change the mods for draw length, lets say you want 28.5 and its 29 you need a mod change, really sucks, and they come in long, close to an inch long, other thing is I had the green color , the finish was peeling off and the bow was new. I wouldn't get another, much better bows out there.

20-Jan-22
I bought a Mathews Q2 the year it came out and shot it for 20-21 years I guess…. Was wanting something new but didn’t care for the Triax or Vertix when I shot them. Tried a couple other brands but they just didn’t feel right either.

Then, the VXR 31.5 came out and the specs were just was I was looking for. After shooting it I brought it home. As Carcus said, the draw is stiff and feels heavier than it is. I haven’t got to shoot it near as much as I would like the past two seasons but am getting more and more comfortable with it. I personally like the grip and feel the long riser makes it very stable and it “aims” well.

The mods weren’t an issue for me. I had the shop install the right ones I needed before I brought it home and there hasn’t been a problem since?

I did not chrono the bow but @ 27”/70lb I was shooting a 400 grain arrow with a single pin out to 30 yards. I have since built heavier arrows for better flight but found that interesting for my short draw.

I am very happy with my purchase but as the other responses indicate, we all have different preferences.

20-Jan-22
Had almost the same experience as Carcus above. It was actually the bow that turned me from Mathews after 20+ years. Now shooting a prime. Miss some aspects of the Mathews bows but the VXR 31 was terrible IMO.

20-Jan-22
I have one. I don't hate it, I don't love it. Wouldn't get another.

20-Jan-22
Anyone shot a quest? The archery guy says prime makes them & they shoot well?

20-Jan-22
The draw cycles on these are very subjective. The switch weight mods are kind of stiff.

They DO NOT measure an inch long. 1/4 - 3/8 should be expected. 1/2” is the most.

20-Jan-22
I have a 31.5 and was having trouble getting consistent groups so I switched to a bereal grip and now it’s a tack driver. This bow is very forgiving and would be a huge upgrade from your 15 old bow. There are plenty of very good bows to choose from shoot a few and pick the one that feels the best to you.

21-Jan-22
I bought the ATLAS(DL of 32inches) this past fall and coming from 20 years of Hoyt, I can't believe how nice it shoots.

22-Jan-22
I forgot to mention that my vxr31.5 was the only bow I've owned recently that had to be shimmed, I didn't even have to use the deadlock on my revoltx or solution. After tuning the vxr I put a quiver on it and it came out of tune again, the more I think back the more I dislike the bow! Probably the crappiest strings in the business

22-Jan-22
My stock strings actually held up real well. They've since been replaced. I really hate yokes on bows which require two more strings. I swear, I'm never buying another bow with more than 3 strings.

22-Jan-22
My experience with the Zebra strings has been good. Other than a half twist or two to align the peep- the bow has remained in time and in synch with exact ata since it came out of the box. I recently put new strings on so that I would have a good backup set. It took a bit of adjusting but we are back to bulletholes here.

Carcus - maybe you need to bring your bow over to sk for some tweaking. We could drink some Pil and listen to the Rider game. ??

• Sitka Gear