Treeline 21-Jan-22
drycreek 21-Jan-22
txhunter58 22-Jan-22
Huntcell 22-Jan-22
SDHNTR(home) 22-Jan-22
wytex 24-Jan-22
stealthycat 25-Jan-22
21-Jan-22
Has anyone hunted Mule Deer in the Texas Panhandle? How was it? I have a connection that could get me access to a big ranch, but wouldn't know the first thing about how to hunt Mulies there.

21-Jan-22
There are great mule deer and whitetails in the Texas Panhandle. Typical spot and stalk is effective and fun in the breaks.

21-Jan-22
Hogs too.

21-Jan-22
Only "panhandle" I'm aware of is the Oklahoma panhandle. Look at a map and you can see it. That's an awful looking pan if there's a panhandle in TX.... :-)

21-Jan-22
NMM you have to understand how Texans work. Dallas is in north Texas and your not in east Texas until your in the pines. I’m not sure where west Texas begins and then there’s the hill country. I’m sure there’s a lot I’m leaving out but I only have family there. ;)

21-Jan-22

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Texas Panhandle
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Texas Panhandle

Huntcell 's Link
There is a Panhandle of Texas. It is the northerner most part of Texas. The city Amarillo is located in the center of the Texas Panhandle.

25,610-square-mile Panhandle of Texas was shaped by the Compromise of 1850, which resolved the state's controverted territorial claims. It is bounded on the east by the 100th meridian, on the north by parallel 36°30', and on the west by the 103rd meridian. It comprises the northernmost twenty-six counties of the state; the line forming the southern boundary of Swisher County in the central Panhandle marks the southern boundary.

The elevation declines from about 4,700 feet in the northwest (Dallam County) to about 2,000 feet in the southeast (Childress County). The growing season increases from 178 days a year to 217 days over the same distance. The average annual precipitation ranges from about 21.5 inches in the eastern counties to about seventeen inches in the western counties. Thus the dry Panhandle climate ranges narrowly from subhumid to semiarid.

The High Plains cover all but the gently undulating southeastern third of the Panhandle, where the Rolling Plains begin. The two are separated by the scenic eastern High Plains escarpment commonly called the Caprock. The upper tributaries of the Red River and the Canadian River drain the region. The Canadian cuts across the High Plains to isolate the southern part, the Llano Estacado, which has little drainage and a reputation as one of the world's flattest areas of such size. Beneath the High Plains lies the enormous store of relict water held by the Ogallala Aquifer-unquestionably the region's most valuable resource.

High Plains soils are loamy, clayey, deep, and calcareous; those of the Rolling Plains are loamy and sandy; and those of the canyonlands and river valleys are loamy, clayey, shallow, and calcareous and support woody species including juniper, cottonwood, hackberry, mesquite, elm, willow, and plum. Scrub oak, grape, and stretchberry grow on the escarpments. Grasses found on the uplands include mainly the bluestems, gramas, buffalo grass, and, around playas, western wheat grass. Especially on the Llano Estacado short grasses have protected the surface from erosion and, along with subhumidity and fire, have inhibited tree growth. ]

In sum, Panhandle physiography produced a primordial grassland that supported the southern buffalo herd and a buffalo-hunting Indian culture, invited a grazing economy introduced by Americans, and eventually gave rise to a farming economy that displaced much of the grassland.

21-Jan-22
Big ranch? Take me with you and I’ll teach you how to bow hunt muleys. :)

21-Jan-22
I was going to say, how bad can it be?

21-Jan-22
The Palo Duro Canyon in West Texas has some good hunting.

21-Jan-22
Would love to hunt there again. A lot of fond memories…

21-Jan-22
Thornton, the Palo Duro Canyon is in the Panhandle.

22-Jan-22
“ Only "panhandle" I'm aware of is the Oklahoma panhandle”

Everything is bigger in Texas!

22-Jan-22
Main reason california women are flocking there!

22-Jan-22
Killed my biggest mulie on the Palo Duro. Really a fun and interesting place to hunt. Lots of variety. We killed hogs, javelina, yotes, aoudad and both mule and WT deer.

24-Jan-22
Between Amarillo and Dumas is rolling hills and breaks with muleys and whitetails, we've seen hogs from the highway while driving through every year. Texas panhandle is a well known region, some of you need to read and get out a little more.

25-Jan-22
any ranches do trespass fee hunts out there ?

• Sitka Gear