wildwilderness 29-Jan-22
Mad Trapper 29-Jan-22
Spiral Horn 29-Jan-22
23-Jan-22

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
DBHS
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
DBHS
What would be a good price for a Free range Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt in Sonora?

For rams similar to the ones pictured-

23-Jan-22
All Inclusive Hunting Packages Mexico Sonora Desert Sheep Hunts Sonora Desert Sheep Mexico Desert Sheep Rates 1x2 Guided, Free Range, Desert Sheep Hunt - $62,000.00 USD All Desert Sheep hunts are a full 8 hunting days. Any hunter that is unsuccessful may stay longer or return at no additional cost later in the season (we have never needed to do this but is available in the event it happens)

Contact us for 2x2 guided pricing.

23-Jan-22
15 Day Desert Sheep Hunt Free Range Mexico Package price

$58,000 for 15 days, 1 hunter, with Bighorn sheep included

Who is offering this hunt Mexico Response rate: 87 % Response time: within a day Contact outfitter

Hello! Thank you for your interest in our hunts! In our hunt description we have tried to give you the most complete information on our services but realize you might have more questions.

Our goal is to provide you with the best service possible so please don't hesitate to contact us for more information.

23-Jan-22
~$60k

23-Jan-22
BSC is $65k

23-Jan-22
45k Only 1-2 hunters per season I know the outfitter personally and his client took a very nice sheep this season. Not sure if it was archery, I believe rifle

23-Jan-22
If you have to ask....you can't afford it. ;-)

23-Jan-22
Hope to draw a tag soon…

23-Jan-22
They run $50-95,000. I’d hate to chance a “deal” on a Mexico Desert sheep hunt. If I had that kind of money id be going somewhere a friend had experience with not some random deal…

23-Jan-22
Shrewski x2

23-Jan-22
A friend of a friend just went on one of these hunts. It was apparently $72k and there were multiple problems. Nothing turned out well.

I am not in a financial zone that could afford anything like that. I can not imagine spending a fraction of that money and experiencing fundamental problems.

23-Jan-22
Go to La Palmosa. Not Sonora though. $65 I think. Awesome experience.

23-Jan-22
Easy for things to go awry on a Mexico sheep hunt. Be sure to select an outfit that takes lots of bowhunters. And one with whom you can talk to several recent archery clients both successful and not. If you can't do that, you're probably better off using an archery booking agent like BSC.

23-Jan-22
My buddy Joe did the Sonora thing last year at a steep discount.

I think it had to do with Covid, etc- but at the end of 2021 they were discounting that hunt or a guy cancelled from the usual $60k.

23-Jan-22
I would second La Palomosa. Heck, I would be willing to go down as interpreter and help guide if it could work out…

23-Jan-22
Wow...well out of my league unfortunately...

23-Jan-22
Does this high cost include a guaranteed tag? I suppose drawing a tag in the US is not very likely in your lifetime kind of deal? Is there an enterprising individual out there who raises these? It seems like there would be a market to sell them to a state wildlife agency for restocking??

23-Jan-22
JL- yes there have been breeding programs for about the last 15 years. That is why the prices have plateaued compared to other sheep hunts. The breeders agree to release a certain number every year to help the free range populations.

The Government sets the number of tags for the privates ranches based on how many free range sheep they have.

Also why you can find High Fence hunts for about half price.

23-Jan-22
WildWilderness. Are sheep released in mexico to supplement existing populations? If so what age are they released at and are they bred in captivity?

23-Jan-22
Breeding program for sheep? Released into the wild?

First I’ve heard of that. Kind of takes some of the allure away from the kill or am I missing something?

23-Jan-22
That's most of Mexico, especially the mule deer

23-Jan-22
First you’ve heard Pat? I’d be careful in Mexico if free range anything is your goal… do your research.

23-Jan-22
Nick, no worries about me hunting in Mexico, or paying 60k for a sheep tag. If I pay 60k or 600k for hunting it will be for hunting land that I’ll hunt on for 20 years, not 10 days. No criticism for those that do it, just not my thing anymore. Too much opportunity cost associated with these hunts.

23-Jan-22
Nick....not that I'm going to run down to Mexico any time soon.....but are high fence or "salted" hunts big down there?

23-Jan-22
From a conservation standpoint it’s been a success. Sonora, MX had about 1,500 sheep about 20 yrs ago and now it’s closer to 6,000.

Hunting has made it work since the big land owners see value in putting sheep on the mountain (capitalism at work for wildlife). They also improve habitat and do predator control.

In turn this has increased supply of available sheep tags and why the prices haven’t changed much as compared to Stone/Dalls/Rockys

23-Jan-22
Leo- from my limited knowledge sheep are released into suitable habitat which is usually historic range to either supplement existing populations or start new populations. Just about all land is private, but they still have to get government permissions.

One big rancher who I spoke with spearheaded the sheep introduction in his area said it took 12 years to finally get free range hunt permits and a court petition to get it done.

He said they usually release ewes and rams at about 3 yrs old. Of course they want them to stay on their property (1 million acres) so they have water improvements, mineral licks, feeders that also help the deer etc. Ranches with breeding programs generally have bigger rams due to better genetics, health of the herds, but at a higher price.

Now the “ethical” side of things come with trophy hunting- they hold many rams to sell and exchange with other breeders. If one gets particularly big they may even sell it to a hunter- release as “free range” a day or two early then go shoot it, price based on size….

23-Jan-22
Never knew that. Like Africa I guess

23-Jan-22
I never knew or heard of "salting" the sheep in Mexico either.

23-Jan-22
so are Sonora sheep hunts not considered fair chase by P&Y?

23-Jan-22
Glad I drew a NV desert tag and arrowed a free range DIY ram with a couple of buddies. Probably would never have a grand or super slam if that had not happened 30 yrs ago.

24-Jan-22
I’m not a P&Y expert like the many scorers/admin on here but to my knowledge they are considered free range if they are out of any enclosure. The herd at La Palmosa in Coahuila was also reintroduced about 12 yrs ago. I think Chihuahua also had attempts at transplants

It would be impossible for most animals (other than the trophy kill ones) to tell if they were born wild or born captive and released at a younger age- there are no tags, tattoos, chips etc.

24-Jan-22
not sure on the sheep but many of the muleys passed off as "free range" are not. Glad I helped my tag kill his awards book desert here in Colorado on a 250 tag and a few tanks of gas for scouting trips.

24-Jan-22
I wonder how that goes............

Estimado juez del estado de Sonora. ¡No sé si estés al tanto de los precios que los gringos pagan para poder matar un borrego, pero le juro que están locos! ¡Este mercado es mejor que drogas porque no es necesario traficar dicho producto a los estados unidos! Con su aprobación, me gustaría criarlos en mi finca de 50 acres y después de 8 años le los vendo por 500 pesos incluyendo transporte de mi finca a su rancho de 10 mil acres sin costo adicional. Ya he contratado 2 peruanos que van alimentar y vigilar los borregos durante los veranos, y ellos deberían llevar los borregos a su rancho sin perdidas. Si patrón, por el precio de un taco, podríamos vender un borrego por 50 mil dólares.

Espero sus comentarios

Juan de Fuca

24-Jan-22
For those that don't habla......this is funny in my opinion. Might even be some "straight" truth in there from Juan De Fuca.....

""Dear judge of the state of Sonora. I don't know if you are aware of the prices that the gringos pay to be able to kill a sheep, but I swear they are crazy! This market is better than drugs because it is not necessary to traffic such a product to the United States! With your approval, I would like to raise them on my 50-acre farm and after 8 years I sell them to you for 500 pesos including transportation from my farm to your 10,000-acre ranch at no additional cost. I have already hired 2 Peruvians who will feed and watch the sheep during the summers, and they should take the sheep to their ranch without losses. If skipper, for the price of a taco, we could sell a sheep for 50 thousand dollars. I look forward to your comments Juan de Fuca""

24-Jan-22
I wonder how many guys who have done those hunts know how canned they are

24-Jan-22
I didn’t know this was a thing in Mexico. Sad!

In the mid 90s I was flying to work over in SA and Namibia, and was sitting next to a giant of a man. We struck up a conversation and he ended being a fighter, and also worked on a ranch. He said they bought old “has been”lions from zoos, game parks, etc and dropped them on their ranch. They’d the. Take Europeans as well as Americans all over to hell and back, and then day 3-4 drive over to where the “lion was” and make the shot.

I couldn't believe what he was telling me. The more and more you learn about the hunting industry, it just makes your stomach turn. So many lies, hidden truths etc.

24-Jan-22
The ones who pay for the big rams know…. And pay on a scale.

There are legit free range herds though.

With the other questionable outfits Tiburon and “Indian Reservation” lands are notorious. The government tries to counter act that and the locking tags are now issued with the hunters name from the gov printed on them.

29-Jan-22
Mexico Desert Sheep are actually a huge conservation success story. By the 1960s they had become extinct in many parts of their historic range. Sheep were transplanted into suitable habitat in a number of areas/states within their historic range. The reintroductions began in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and with careful management the sheep have prospered and the herds are very healthy. Just like many other reintroductions throughout North America - East Canada Moose, Elk, Whitetails, etc.

However, within the past decade or so there are now some high-fenced breeding/hunting operations for both sheep and mule deer in Mexico. Mature HF Sheep fetch quite a bit less $ than a free-range ram. With that, some unscrupulous outfitters have cropped up with some unsavory practices. So, beware of bargain or sketchy sheep hunts in Mexico. Do some research and target known free-range operations. There are some fantastic free-range sheep hunting operations throughout Mexico.

29-Jan-22
Por 500 pesos? A la edad de ocho? No lo creo.

29-Jan-22
wilderness,

Cabela's has 1 listed in the new hunt catalogue for $55k.

I don't have a BassPro/Cabela's C-card anymore so I don't know if I would be eligible for this hunt via them?

They definitely have had a good reputation on these hunts in the past------>Fair Chase

Good luck, Robb

29-Jan-22
Yes it has been a huge conservation success. In Sonora for example there were virtually 0 bighorn sheep in the 1950’s.

The first transplants came with 20 sheep to Tiburon Island. The numbers grew and That herd was used to re establish other herds. Enough so to allow hunting again.

The ability for private landowners to make a profit off the sheep is huge in the on going conservation efforts.

It is a bright spot in the hunting world with increased availability. I do foresee a trend where prices may continue to go down….

How low do you think desert sheep prices will go? What will it be in 5? 10 years?

29-Jan-22
The recent newsletter from the wild sheep foundation indicates that this year’s sheep show raised over $10M. That organization is on fire.

29-Jan-22
Hi Phil,

I really don’t see the prices on desert sheep dipping all that much, even though they are probably doing better than any other North American Sheep Species. Prices are fairly stable right now due to herd health and continued permit management. Alternatively, some diminished availability / issues with Stone and Dall populations over the past few years have those outfitters seemingly unable to keep up with demand (some are already booked into 2025 and beyond). Hopefully Desert prices will remain stable or even trickle down a bit. Trouble is once most guys get into hunting sheep, that’s where their focus stays. Always amazes me when someone at GSCO or WSF is congratulated for completing their 3rd or 4th Grand Slam. That’s probably the #1 obstacle for the guys currently chasing their 1st GS - all of the other guys who keep rebooking all of the quality outfitters ahead of him. It’s really all about supply and demand - sheep are in ever-increasing, ultra-high demand, and outside of Mexico there really isn’t much good news on supply - bad winters, disease, predators, cuts in NR tags, etc.

• Sitka Gear