Jaquomo 25-Jan-22
deerhunter72 25-Jan-22
Paul@thefort 25-Jan-22
LKH 25-Jan-22
TonyBear 25-Jan-22
carcus 25-Jan-22
Zbone 26-Jan-22
23-Jan-22
Purchased a CUTE 4 U propane refill adapter. Checked out Youtube for instructions. Placed 1# bottle in freezer over night. Attached adapter and empty 1# bottle this morn. Turned large full bottle upside down as instructed., Opened valve to transfer propane from large tank to small tank. Nothing, will not refill. Any advise to correct issue?

23-Jan-22
Don't do it the little tanks were not designed to be refilled. If something goes wrong the liability is all yours.

I am amazed this product is still on the market.

23-Jan-22
Did you open the valve on the small tank?

23-Jan-22
Tony, the how to do it, is all over Youtube. Seems a lot of big box stores sell the adapter.

Nick, the small 1# bottle tank does not have a valve to open or close. I use the same 1 # bottles with my Heater Buddy, one just screws them in. I would expect the adapter has a "arm" that when screwed into the 1 # tank, that allows the propane to flow once the large tank valve is opened. This adapter instruction is shown on Youtube, a few times and all of the instructions are basically the same.

23-Jan-22
OK, I reread the instructions for some of the comments, and it states, place the larger tank in the sun to warm up the propane in the large tank. Also, place the 1 # tank in the freezer to cool down this tank. Seems the transfer from warm to cold is the correct way to do this. I will try and report back.

23-Jan-22
Large tank tank warm and upside down (valve on bottom)

Tank u are filling cold and beneath supply tank.

Having large tank warm will just creat a little more pressure to propel LPG into smaller tank

Having small tank cold will just help condense the gas so you can get a little more LPG in it.

If grenade tank is older place a drop of oil down valve opening to help lube and seat the float.

23-Jan-22
I found that the easiest wsy to heat up the large tank was to run jot water over it in a utility sink.

23-Jan-22
Here. Hold my beer……….

23-Jan-22
I've refilled maybe 100 over the years and never heat the large tank. The liquid goes in just fine but I then put the small tank in the freezer for a few hours and repeat. I then leave them outside overnight in case I have a faulty little tank or I've overfilled which sometimes happens.

Paul, if you try this and it still doesn't work with another small tank I think you have a faulty adaptor.

23-Jan-22
This reminds me of the DIY taxidermy thread, except I’ve never seen a deer head explode.

23-Jan-22
Your in more danger filling up your car tires

23-Jan-22
Lol Pat

23-Jan-22
Well, tried the hot/cold tank with no results. It seems the arm that fits into the 1 # tank, from the adaptor, is not long enough to open the interior valve of the small tank. Will send it back.

Thanks all for the replies and help.

23-Jan-22
I just returned from my outdoor garage after refilling ten 1lb bottles. I've been doing this for years to use with my propane Mr.Heater.

First of all, you are taking a risk in heating the large tank, which I don't. What I do is store both large full and small empty tanks in the outside garage where they both reach ambient outdoor temperature equally. I screw the 1lb tank into the fitting which is attached to the large tank. Turn the large tank upside down and open the large tank valve ALL THE WAY. I found that leaving both tanks in this position for TWO MINUTES transfers enough gas top operate my two tank heater for 3 to 4 hours. I do not attempt to transfer a full 1lb to the small tank. IMHO that's just too risky. When removing the small tank I first tip the tank so the small tank opening is up and crack the valve as I listen for gas to pass through the connection, then I shut the valve and remove the small tank.

I did HVAC work and too many times to remember transferring freon from tank to systems and vise versa. Without scales to determine transfer weight the danger of overfilling is too easy to do, and IMHO, stupid when it comes to propane.

I must have twenty five 1lb tanks that I rotate through service cycles and I discard any tank that will not seal or refuses to accept a charge. I found that tanks that refuse to accept a charge are not empty enough. To check such a tank attach it to a torch tip and open it outside as you listen for gas escaping. DON'T SMOKE WHEN YOU TACKLE THIS OPERATION!

23-Jan-22
Paul, You do know that there is a check valve in the large tank to prevent opening the valve to the open air and discharging gas? A slight amount of backpressure is required for propane to pass through the stop valve.

23-Jan-22
Filling a small tank from a large one is no more dangerous than getting a dipper full of water out of a bucket and pouring it into a glass……..well, almost. You do have to take into consideration that it’s flammable, but you are actually releasing pressure from the big tank and the small tank usually won’t even take a full charge. Almost, but not quite. Think of it as a portable air tank putting air in a tire. The most it will do is equalize, (if there’s enough room). It’s not a compressor, neither is the twenty pound tank you’re filling the one pound propane tank from. I’m sure they fill them at the factory under much more pressure.

23-Jan-22
Paul, you’re welcome to borrow mine. It would rule out issues with your tank while troubleshooting. I’m guessing your adapter is messed up, it’s a pretty straightforward process.

23-Jan-22
I've been refilling one pounders too. The little ones go in the freezer for a few hours. I only fill about four or five bottles from a FULL twenty pounder. I weigh the empty bottles and re-weigh when done. takes about a two minutes to get a charge. If you leave it too long, liquid propane can keep transferring, but you've already about hit the pressure differential limit, so that excess propane can't be used.

23-Jan-22
I've been doing it for 30 years. Never had a problem. I dumpster dive at campgrounds so I can keep a good rotation, like 2Wild Bill.

Some just don't take a refill. But I bet Paul's problem was leaving it in the freezer too long. That can freeze the valve. I only freeze them for 30 minutes. It works much better if the 20 lb bottle is room temperature.

I have had some bottles leak after a couple fills. I have a cheap off-brand bottle (gray), flat bottom, that I've probably refilled 50 times during the time I've had it. Old Faithful. At $5 a bottle now for the 1 lb, if you use very many, its foolish to not refill them.

23-Jan-22
Just don't want to hear about " paul@theburnt fort" Stay safe my friend.

23-Jan-22
There are certain canisters that are made to be refilled. The green Coleman ones should not be refilled. Put the little ones in the freezer a while, big bottle in the sun...

23-Jan-22
Which green Coleman ones? I have about 20 refilled ones in my stash right now, some dozens of times.

23-Jan-22
Well, dang it. I just ordered one of those adapters off eBay. Hope mine works better then Paul’s.

23-Jan-22

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Mine extends 3/8" but it's all relative to length from the seal.

23-Jan-22
Paul, I consider you a national treasure. I’ll buy you the freaking propane bottles!

I’m all for DIY but after watching a propane tank explode and metal shards go through my siding and sheathing…No thanks.

23-Jan-22
Pat, what caused the bottle to explode?

23-Jan-22
15 year old boys

23-Jan-22
And fire arms

23-Jan-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Quit dicking around with it and go buy a small 5lb propane tank. Soooo much easier

23-Jan-22
And fire arms

23-Jan-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
the length of the inside tube is 1/2 inch
the length of the inside tube is 1/2 inch
what is sticking out at the end, length is 2/8. Lou's picture of his adapter is 3/8 in sticking out and end. I do not believe this is long enough to compress the valve inside the 1# bottle.
what is sticking out at the end, length is 2/8. Lou's picture of his adapter is 3/8 in sticking out and end. I do not believe this is long enough to compress the valve inside the 1# bottle.

24-Jan-22
Can you turn that fitting onto a 1 pounder with some gas in it. And see if it unseats the Schrader valve? Should be able to hear the gas unless there is a check valve in that fitting. Also the big tanks have to be opened slowly or the safety mechanism stops the flow. I’ve refilled many and haven’t had issues.

24-Jan-22
I haven’t read all the comments but will make an important one. DO NOT FILL 1# TANK COMPLETELY FULL!!! Even with a pressure relief valve, hydrostatic pressure due to expansion of the propane will blow the valve if small cylinder is warmed. You don’t want that blue-off in a vehicle or house, by an ignition source.

Only fill to 80% and do this by volume after weighing. Get a tare weight of 1# cylinder and add no more than 80% (calculate weight to volume using D=M/V for propane.).

You could get he fill weight that manufacturer uses by weighing a new full propane small cylinder and then again after you used it to empty. Weight again and calculate the difference of propane. This is your safe fill weight.

Be reminded, saving a few bucks is not worth the danger of refilling small propane cylinders. I do believe it is illegal as well. Too many have been named and killed refilling propane incorrectly.

24-Jan-22

HiMtnHnter's embedded Photo
HiMtnHnter's embedded Photo

24-Jan-22
Is that last built to heavier specs than the regular disposables? How expensive? (How long to recoup the cost vs using 'free' empties? )

I find myself agreeing with cnelk re buying a 5 pounder, unless weight is critical - and who backpacks with propane?

24-Jan-22
Paul, make sure the adaptor is fully seated in the 20# tank, with the that tank in the upright (normal use) position and outside- open the valve very slow- vapor should come out through the nozzle port. If nothing comes out- try it on another tank. The OPD valves in all smaller cylinders have a "check valve" to slow flow or stop it completely if it was in use and the rubber line was cut or burned etc. The sudden increase in flow will check the valve off. With age and use, these valves can be more finicky when opening and need some "back pressure" to equalize then open completely. Once you have vapor coming out of the nozzle, then hook your small bottle up and flip over the 20, again, open the valve very slowly.

24-Jan-22
I find the comments about opening the tank valve slowly interesting, since I rapidly open the large tank valve fully AFTER turning the tank upside down. I also shut the tank valve fully while upside down. In that state there is liquid trapped in the junction between the small and large tank. Therefore I tip the tank so the small tank opening is up and crack the large tank valve so I can hear gas clear the liquid from the opening between the tanks. Then shut the valve to remove the 1lb tank.

24-Jan-22
Been doing it for years as well. If you want to get a little more propane in there you can play with the pressure release valve on the 1lb side. But be very careful as you can easily over-fill the 1 pounder. Which I have done. Which would cause a problem if it was heated up. Which I did not do. I just released some propane until it was back within tolerance.

I have just bought new ones, weighted them so that I know a target weight to reach. I am usually doing it in the winter for ice fishing so I leave the 1 lb'ers outside and take my 20 inside. That will get them about 3/4 full. Some times all the way. But if you release some pressure and hook it up again you can get a lot more in. Just don't overdo it.

24-Jan-22

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Refillable at least 50 times.

I use them with buddy heaters, camping grill, ice fishing hut heaters, lantern, camp stove. Probably 20 a year. As far as cost differential, a 20 pound bottle refills for about $16 now, give or take. That will refill a whole bunch of one pounders (that don't totally fill) . A 1 lb bottle sells for $4.99 at my local hardware store.

I do it exactly as 2Wild Bill. Never an issue in over 30 years of refilling.

24-Jan-22
How do you know when the 1 pound bottle is full with out over filling. Or do you just fill for 2 minutes and that’s good enough? Kurt

24-Jan-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Soooo much easier

24-Jan-22
My method of freezing the small bottles a second time gets them completely full.

As a precaution against any overfill I leave them outside for a day. Any excess will bleed off through the small pressure vent. Any bad tanks get substantially lighter and I trash them.

24-Jan-22
I dunno, Brad. Carrying around three of those 5 pounders with hoses (one for the Buddy in the camper, one for the BBQ grill outside, another for the lantern outside) seems like it would be a bit inconvenient compared to a few little bottles that just screw on and off. ;-)

24-Jan-22
LKH,

"Any excess will bleed off through the small pressure vent."

My professional experience has been that safety relief valves, once lifted, never reseat themselves as good as they are when released from the factory. This has been proven to me regarding various substances or pressures under control.

24-Jan-22
2Wild Bill,

I've been doing this a long time and while I've had the rare tank not hold seal it's very rare. Just my experience which reminds me I've got a dozen to refill and it will be easier since temps are getting down to the 20's.

We've got a very accurate scale and I might weigh a few just to satisfy my curiousity.

24-Jan-22

DanaC's Link
for Lou

24-Jan-22
Paul, you likely could be right on the stem length. Might check it with some lanterns or stoves you have to compare. I'm also wondering if something, casting or machining material etc. blocking it internally. Not sure how these adapter fittings are put together to clear it if blocked. Mine is a bit different, uses a hose from the main tank with a manual valve at the filling end. I put the tank on a 10 lb scale, zero it out, open the valve and and fill from there, weighing as I go. They are technically 1lb cans, but usually I'll go to 14-15 oz. (Mostly because I'm a cheapskate and don't want to have to blow off and waste any excess.) But with the valve open I can physically blow though it from the tank end to the filler connection easily. I don't know what valves may be in other devices, but mine is a straight shot with the manual valve open. With the main tank open it will blow gas/LPG when I crack open the manual valve at the adapter. Does it blow gas with no 1lb tank connected and the main tank valve cracked? Do those one piece fillers have an internal valve in them? Don't know. Maybe worth a look.

Tanks and safety.... they don't "blow up" by filling. No more than they do by using, the pressures are the same in both given the same conditions. The pressures involved are not that high but will vary with temps. If I recall at 70 degrees about 120lbs? 110 can get you to 200lbs? In all honesty, that's not that much pressure, my air compressor runs at 175 all day long and has for couple decades. Unless WAY overfilled it won't be any more of an issue that a brand new one off the shelf. If overfilled and in some heat it might blow off some pressure out the side valve. It's a pop off valve (looks like a schrader valve but it's not, you know because you pull it to open it rather than push on it) It's not tank pressure that is the issue. It's gas leakage and ignition that is the issue.

If you use some awareness and take into consideration you are dealing with a highly flammable gas you're good to go. I do it outside in the yard. Well ventilated and no ignition sources are the keys. But those are the rules when you are using them as well.

I never touch the side vent valve and have never had any issues with them leaking. Those are notorious for leaking if you use them much. (they do fill faster if you use them) The main connection valve I have had leak on some.... but have also had them leak on new ones between uses when you remove the tank and it still has some in it. Ever put one on the shelf and come back in 6 months and it's empty? It's leaking. Those main valves are made cheaply and are the main issue, not the tanks. Propane gas is heavier than air and in still air will sink to the lowest point and "pool" (boat bilges are notorious) If you take note, a good deal of ignition sources are low.... pilot light in stoves and water heaters, HIVAC, etc. And many can be in basements or garages. Just a heads up.

Pick up some threaded brass caps made for sealing the tanks. Best thing I've ever done with those lil tanks regardless if you fill them or not. I think $20 can get you a dozen of them. A little silicone spray on the threads (adds a bit of lube/conditioning to the valve too, don't use wd40 or some such as it's hard on rubber) Thread on a brass cap (has a rubber gasket in it to seal) and no leaks, period. Reuse at will. And in our salt air environment they really help keep the threads from rusting. Years ago we used the heck out of them on lanterns when drifting fishing at night (ika shibi) The lights hanging off the rails with reflectors would bring up squid and other critters near the surface and the yellowfin tuna (ahi) would come in when everything aligned. (these days they use LEDs with 12 volt batteries that are even brighter and last all night... or three...)

WRT safety.... be safe. Personal responsibility, common sense and all. Some folks might want to keep their kids away from buckets too.... Let Karen watch em for ya. Those bucket warning labels are on there for a reason..... Climbing trees? Firearms? Well, we won't even talk about that....

But WRT playing with flammable gas..... oughta see the fun you can have with an oxy-acetylene torch and a bag of balloons..... with safety glasses on of course....

24-Jan-22
Oh yeah, Dana, have seen those. Then I have a spiderweb of hoses and have to have everything at the right distance and height. Takes me less than two minutes to screw on a bottle, fill it, unscrew it, check for a leak, screw on the next one.

24-Jan-22
Last summer I, as Paul did, watched you tube --- several different people -- most all of them were about the same. Ordered the part, cooled the small tanks for about 30 minutes in the freezer, followed what everyone else was doing -- didn't work.

I used the small pressure relief port on the side as I filled them (10 - 1# tanks) to release some "air" as I filled them to 16oz. (made sure they were completely empty, weighted them before and after filling). Took the empty weight and added 16oz - assumed they were full???

Every single one of them leaked till empty. After reading some of these posts, I'm thinking I will try it again. This time I'll only leave it on for about 2 minutes and see what they weigh. I will NOT use the side port this time.

24-Jan-22
BAD REFILL ADAPTER is the issue. Used a friend's adapter and it worked. Could hear the propane going from big to small tank. Filled both 1 # tanks 2/3 full. The adapter I ordered from Amazon was Model CUTE 4 U propane refill adapter.

Thanks all for your input. My best, Paul

24-Jan-22
Wow Pat, anybody hurt? The things 15 year old boys do,,, am lucky I survived my teeage years...

The oddity timing of this thread, I recently bought a small Weber Go Anywhere grill and almost bought an adaptor kit with 3 or 4 foot hose for the bigger refillable tanks, but put it on the back burner (pun intended) for now...

24-Jan-22
"CUTE 4 U" sounds like an Asian massage parlor.... =D

I forget what "brand" my rig was, but pretty sure all these adapters, like 90% of everything else.... made in Chi-na.

25-Jan-22
Zbone, I have used one of those adaptors and hose with grills, a lantern, and Mr. Heater. They are fine for the application. That Weber grill is great. Really consistent heat. Love mine.

25-Jan-22
Glad you figured it out Paul but I agree with Pat, you're a treasure so be careful! It's not exactly convenient to haul around, but since it's the only place I use it I hook up my little buddy to a 20lb tank in my deer blind and forget it.

25-Jan-22
Lou, Matt's adapter was also a Mr. Heater adapter that I used to confirm the one I purchased did not work as advertised. Sending it back to Amazon for free return and $$ back. While I also have a 10 and a 20 # tank, I use the 1# tanks for my small out side grill, and sometime for the Heater buddy while ice fishing. I just purchase this Mr. Heater adapter for $19 at JAX Farm store. Yep, made in China.

25-Jan-22

25-Jan-22
Just get the 3-5 # refillable. These meet the necessary stds. for safety.

We all climbed trees years ago without fall protection, that didn't make it safe.

25-Jan-22
I've filled them, half leaked

26-Jan-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Yeah, thanks Jaquomo, I'm on my second one... I don't buy full size grills anymore, got tired of maintaining them etc, etc, all that goes with a nice expensive grill so I started buying throw aways after 3-5 years of use and it's all I have anymore... The Go Anywhere sets nice on board across my deck railing, plus I can take it anywhere...8^) Yeah, think am going to get one of those hose/adapter kits for refillable tanks, I still have 2 tanks from full size grill from many moons.... Got a brand of the hose/adapter kit in mind?... Thanks

BTW, also have a Mr. Heater for my hunting shack...

• Sitka Gear