Redskin 29-Mar-22
Blood 29-Mar-22
Bou'bound 29-Mar-22
Bou'bound 28-Feb-24
Mad Trapper 28-Feb-24
Painless 28-Feb-24
Ridge Runner 28-Feb-24
23-Jan-22
I think I’ve seen a thousand TV shows (exaggeration) where the TV celebrity has a deer (shooter!) closing in and they range it, then fiddle with their sight to adjust the pin.

I am dumbfounded every time I watch it - which seems to be every TV show. The most recent being The Crush. Then I saw some other TV guy do it on the next show.

I can’t imagine a whitetail tolerating that amount of movement when within bow range. And I can’t imagine having the time to pull that off as a buck is approaching. Then draw and shoot.

So seriously, do any of you guys use those sights in real world situations or is it all made for TV?

23-Jan-22
...... and how does the camera man have time to zoom right in on the name on the sight?

23-Jan-22
I tried a single pin slider one season and didn't like it for that exact reason. I went back to multiple pins.

23-Jan-22
They’re called “outtakes”. Shot after the hunt and then edited in. My guess is it’s a subtle way of advertising that particular sight.

23-Jan-22
I agree. I had the same conservation with the bow shop guy yesterday minus the tv shows. Seems like to much movement & not enough time on average for the range, site adjustment & draw.

23-Jan-22
I shoot & hunt with trad gear but I was in the industry and because of that I shot a lot of modern gear over the years. No way would I use an adjustable single pin but they are obviously popular. B roll may or may not be what actually happened as plenty of it is shot after the kill but with the ease and cost of setting up multiple view cameras these days some of it is real-time. They must practice a lot to be able to do it under pressure but obviously some you see are post shot and filmed to show off the sight.

23-Jan-22
These guys ARE professionals, after all… Can you say “B roll”?

I WILL say Lakosky knows his stuff, and I’m sure he knows when and when not to move, especially on whitetails.

23-Jan-22
For stand hunting I use two pins 15 and 25 at 30 I hold just below the hairline and it drops into bottom 1/3 of lungs

23-Jan-22
^^^ Lol this! Plus, can you say Sponsor?!? :-)

23-Jan-22
Im with you Pat. Hey shoot what you want…..

But I’ve called elk for 3 guys that screwed up bulls coming to a call while they fiddled with their slider and got busted.

23-Jan-22
"Photoshop" for TV !! Old Word Perfect language- "cut and paste!" "It's only make believe."- Conway Twitty

23-Jan-22
I did for one season…

23-Jan-22
The Crush is shooting a Spot Hogg single pin. I shot a bunch of animals with one. It is like shooting a hinge or a thumb button release....you have more time than you think. More often than not I don't touch my sight while deer hunting (I leave it set on 25 yds normally), but I have shot numerous deer, turkey and an elk after adjusting my single pin.

23-Jan-22
The other thing I notice on the hunting shows is guys throwing their binoculars up to their eyes to check out a buck. The bucks in those videos are nothing like the ones I hunt. I have to move my binoculars real slow. I guess my bucks have better eye sight than the ones on TV.

23-Jan-22
I use an MBG Verdict Ascent single pin for most of my hunting and set at 30 when I’m stalking. If I’m in a ground blind or tree I set it at 25yds. I just aim high or low.

The mule deer buck I just shot in AZ the water hole was 25yds. I had my pin set for that range.

A single pin is not for everyone but I prefer it. There’s no clutter from multiple pins to block your vision in the kill area when aiming.

I was watching the Brunson hunting show today and Tina had a Garmin Zero sight. A nice buck came in and she forgot turn it on and had to let down. She turned it on and came to full draw, but the buck walked off and never gave her a shot. If she would have been using a regular sight, that Buck would have probably been shot.

23-Jan-22
It’s BS B-roll footage to make the rangefinder sponsor happy.

I use a single pin slider but would never adjust it inside of 30. From a treestand, there’s plenty of time to range every possible tree or other landmark - no reason to be fiddling with the rangefinder at go time.

I’m sure Lee Lakosky is smart enough to have all this figured out. His B-roll footage would be more honest if they showed him ranging landmarks around the stand as he was getting settled in.

23-Jan-22
A lot of Michigan guys get set with single pin adjustable. Tried it when I first tried sights. I wasn’t qualified

24-Jan-22
Single pin user for 20+ years. Love the uncluttered view. Can think of less than 5 times I wished I had another pin.

Craig

24-Jan-22
the sites are amazingly precise out to very extended ranges when matched with the exact site tape. far more precise than I could ever dream of. if you set at a known common range and adjust mentally with game within range of detecting you you're fine. you still have the option for long range shots at known range to dial in the exact yardage and get the benefit of that.

no gear is perfect for every scenario. it's all trade offs, benefits, pros and cons. there are pros and cons to each on the site thing as well. the hope is that "net net" in the end your choices put more points on the board than the option you rejected, but you know like in anything you're not going to bat 1.000.

the biggest need is when the game is out there and if the game is out there you probably have time and cover to move and adjust. if the game in in close you really don't need to adjust the pin, just adjust the aiming point.

24-Jan-22
Single pin here as well .... The uncluttered sight picture was essential in curing target panic. Many may feel the same or can benefit from using one.

24-Jan-22
Lol you can do a 360 in your stand if he ain’t looking, have to know when to and when not to move as previously stated .. I’ve shot a single pin for going on 15 yrs now no floaters … prob killed 6-7 p&y’s with it, I can also shoot my 20 out to 50 cause I practice doing it all summer…if I don’t have time or the chance to move it he’s still up the creek.. mabye when I was in my 20’s it caused me to miss a deer or 2 seems like..but I’m a little more cool and collected nowadays, and what is my sight set to is just engraved into my shot process . ( and what you see on the crush tv besides them pulling the trigger is 90% + B role brother and filmed after they are dead. Him moving that sight was probably shot last yr in Nigeria somehwere it’s hard telling it’s all fake..)

24-Jan-22
Ambush answered the WHY from the OP with his HOW question -

"...... and how does the camera man have time to zoom right in on the name on the sight? "

These shows are adver-tainment.

24-Jan-22
I don't watch hunting shows but use a single pin. When deer hunting I range my possible shot openings as soon as I'm in the stand. It's too thick for long shots so I set it and forget it. Our deer notice when you just think about moving.

24-Jan-22
No, it's not all fake. We call these "recreates" because that is what we do is recreate what just happened. Yes, it gives you a chance to show your sponsor's rangefinder, binos, release, sight, etc. but that is not the primary reason for recreates. This is mostly done for the video editor's sake. If you have a buck walking toward you and it takes him six minutes to get there you can't air the entire six minutes. And you can't "jump cut" the buck from location to location as he approaches. You need the short clip of ranging, adjusting sight, clipping on release, or whatever, so when the editor comes back to the animal it's closer and the shot is imminent. Unless you have multiple cameras aiming in every direction you must do these recreates after the shot when the light, the clothing and the gear is all the same. That's why you can't do it prior to any shot opportunity, or the next day (you can, but it's a pain). The unknowing seem to think we are attempting to deceive but that is not the case. If you don't do recreates the editor will whup you. Regarding sights, I use a multi-pin sight. Just can't get used to a mover and having to worry about keeping it where it needs to be at all times.

24-Jan-22
Funny, when I talk with single pin shooters, it’s because they don’t want to gap shoot between pins. Come hunting season they set the single pin at 25 or 30 and hold high or low on the animal. Isn’t that gap shooting the animal?

24-Jan-22
I use a 3 pin slider. 20, 30 and 40. I never adjust. The only time I adjust the sight is when I’m practicing.

24-Jan-22
For moveable pin users...................Just think back to your last 20 kills.

How many honestly could you have adjusted on?

How many honestly could you not have adjusted on?

How many did you not need to adjust on? (this # makes the site choice irrelevant)

How many did you need to adjust one, but messed up while doing it? (this # makes the is a problem as the site type cost you a chance)

24-Jan-22
I have used a HHA single pin sight for many years now. I range several trails when I am in stand and leave my sight loose enough to be able to easily move. I leave it on the distance for the trail I feel is most likely to see a deer. If all my shots are expected to be less than 23yds I leave it set at 20yds because with my set up I am good less than or to 23yds. I don't shoot a fast set up but I can easily adjust my pin with one finger then prepare to draw. It has become part of my drawing sequence. I have never been seen by a deer adjusting my sight and I only hunt at between 15 and 17ft in a tree.

24-Jan-22
Hey Curt - we r talking about a treestand hunt for wt right? Often over bait. For an unexpected longer shot, I’ll buy the use of the rangefinder. But when a deer walks in to the bait, which everybody already knows is 20 yards, I highly doubt that the rangefinder would ever come out of the pocket. The slider will have been set at 20 yards 3 days ago.

Note to field producers - I understand the need for cutaways for the editor, but in that scenario, shots of the hunter clipping on or staring intently would make for more honest ‘recreates’ that would be less likely to make Pats head explode.

24-Jan-22
Ive always wondered why anyone would want a slider for midwest treestand deer. I could see how you may want one for caribou or western mule deer where you may need to really reach out there but I doubt I would ever wanna fool with one.

24-Jan-22
I don't watch hunting shows so I haven't seen this in action. Pat is exactly right on this!!!

I archery elk hunt with a single pin slider using the slider in practice to shoot out to 80 yards. In hunting the slider is set at 25 yards (all of my shots have been 3 to 25) and I can easily shoot to 35 yards without moving anything...because you don't have the time to move and you don't want to move!

24-Jan-22
Boubound - my last 20 kills have all been inside of 25 yards. I’m prepared to move my sight during a hunt, but the reality for me is it almost only happens during practice. I like the uncluttered sight picture. It’s a matter of preference.

24-Jan-22
I just guided a guy spot and stalk he didn't kill because he was always adjusting his sight on the stalks

24-Jan-22
and I know a guy who missed a deer because he chose the wrong pin.

When I’m on the ground, I set it at 30. No need to adjust it inside of 35.

24-Jan-22
5 pin fixed for me.

Biggest advantage for me is when hunting thick stuff for elk, I can determine if my arrow arc will clear when taking a longer shots

24-Jan-22
Also... what are 'TV Guys'?

24-Jan-22
K.I.S.S. Trophy Ridge V5 vertical ballistic sight. A lot less clutter with vertical pins.

24-Jan-22
I was watching an elk hunt yesterday. The hunt was advertised as a DIY, late season archery hunt but there was a guide there and a guide was listed in the credits. The hunter shot at an elk and his arrow was deflected by a branch. I thought that it was an extremely high hit. The replay showed the arrow hitting the branch but nothing after that. The hunter then walked over and with two fingers wiggled a clean arrow and pulled it out of a log just behind where the elk had been standing. No way that arrow was shot into that log. They wanted to show a clean miss.

24-Jan-22
I love a single pin, or dot, slider for 3D shooting. I tried one for hunting and didn't care for it.

Along the same lines, I've never actually ranged an animal just before shooting it. That always seemed like too much movement right at crunch time. Instead, I range land marks around my stand, or blind, ahead of time, then my range finder goes back in my pack.

Matt

24-Jan-22
5 pin spott Hogg adjustable. the bottom pin is set for 60 and I can dial that one in out to 100 by cranking the dial.the other 4 pins are set to specific yardages from 20-50 and stay that way until I move the dial to enact my floater. Its kind of a compromise and best of both ideas. if you are shooting past 60 most of the time you are not worried about being caught moving to adjust the sight.

24-Jan-22
I can see the value of both adjustable and non adjustable fixed pins. It's just a matter of what your brain is capable of. Mine is not capable of the possibility of moving a sight. I'd rather deal with the clutter of 3 or 5 pins. Most of the time I'm using the top pin. For whitetails I'm not shooting probably past 30 yards unless it is to try and get a second arrow into a deer I've hit. Maybe the best of all worlds would be the three pin sliders for me. Or the new two or three pin stacked slider sights. But in all honesty, I wouldn't slide the sight except while practicing. 40 yards looks like a mile in the woods as it is to me.

24-Jan-22
I've used everything from single pin slider to seven pin fixed. Pin confusion seemed to get worse as I got older , so the seven pin on my back up bow is down to four and it doesn't go on mountain or open space hunts anymore. My main hunting bow has a three pin Spot Hogg slider, which I find pretty much ideal. Top middle or bottom out to about forty five yards. A buddy has a two vertical pin Fast Eddie I will try this spring.

Thanks for the insight Curt, never thought of those points.

24-Jan-22
I used one for one season. We won't talk about the 190 or so reasons why i switched back to fixed pins.... Live and learn i suppose. Honestly, for treestand whitetail hunting, you could get away with a single fixed pin the majority of the time. Thinking back, just about every mature deer i've killed has been inside 30 yards.

24-Jan-22
I used both. Right now, switching from Trad to Compound, I chose the HHA Tetra, single pin. I sited in at 20 yards, and at 60 yards, put the tape on, and it amazes me, they did the math, because it shoots dead on, at multiple ranges,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I hunt mostly on the ground. I keep it set at 25 yards, but really have had little issues making an adjustment, if needed. Shooting trad for years, the single pin is cleaner......

As far as TV, it is what it is. I enjoy most shows, I can imagine the effort it goes to make one. I would think a camerman would be the greatest issue, not moving a site,,,,,,, ,,,,,, But like other had said on here, I try to watch for the little things that are done, and you can always learn something.........

24-Jan-22
The movement the TV hunters get away with may be due to the nature of the deer they are hunting. John Eberhart suggests that since the deer have encountered humans earlier in their life with no consequences, they are much more tolerant of human activity as they age and may discount what a more "normal" deer might spook from. Since younger deer aren't shot at because they haven't met the size requirement, this idea may have some merit. Maybe, the older deer on the Lakosky property aren't the same as a similar deer in Michigan or Pennsylvania.

24-Jan-22
When I switched from trad to compound I tried a five pin MBG. Didn't like it at all - too much clutter in the sight picture, too much thinking involved. But I was used to looking at a spot and releasing, for, like, 50 years.

After taking my friend Tony Peterson's advice (former Bowhunter equipment editor, now with Meateater) and switching to a single pin, my accuracy, consistency, and confidence have improved immensely.

I keep it set on 30. That's good out to 40. Killed a bull walking toward me at 7 yards with it set on 30 and didn't have to think, just looked at the spot and shot. When blind or ambush hunting, or calling, I range different landmarks ahead of time. If I had grown up shooting multi pins it would be different, I'm sure. But for me this is more like instinctive shooting with a crutch.

24-Jan-22
First off, I'm not a "TV hunter." I'm a bowhunter who always has a cameraman with him, which can be a pain at times, but I've learned to cope with it. And I hunt with really good cameramen. However, I hunt the same deer and elk as everyone else and I've never encountered even a doe that is tolerant of humans at close range. That's a ridiculous assumption, at least from my perspective. The only human "acclimation" I've witnessed was on the Iliamna River in Alaska where the brown bears get accustomed to seeing anglers floating by on boats. They can't tell the difference between anglers and bowhunters. However, the mature boars run anyway.

24-Jan-22
I’ve seen what Pat described on TV - it makes me chuckle.

I highly doubt Lee Lakosky is ranging deer and adjusting sights at 18 yards from a tree stand - despite the edited version you see on TV. Out at 40? - that’s a different story.

25-Jan-22
How do those sights hold up to actual hunting scenarios like pulling up to a treestand

25-Jan-22
The particular sight referenced by the OP is a Spot Hogg. They are as bullet proof of a sight that is made.

25-Jan-22
Mine is an MBG single pin and it is solid. I hunt hard, drop my bow occasionally, crawl around in rocks, brush, in all sorts of terrain, haul it on my ebike. One of the strap points on my pack is the sight itself. Never had an issue. Pulling it up into a treestand would be a vacation at the beach compared to what I put mine through.

25-Jan-22
if you make it and promote it hunters will buy it. Now, whether they continue to use it is a different matter lol. If the hunting celebs use it then it must be good, right?

25-Jan-22
lol... I've guided a lot of guys using slide sights, and I've never had one screw up a bull or mule deer trying to adjust their sights. Yessir, I've seen guys wound bulls cause they used the wrong sight.. As with anything, if you use it enough, you get used to it. And you know what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. And a slider allows you to shoot very accurate. Most of these guys shoot enough to know where to put their 30 yard set pin for a 15 yard shot. They know exactly how high their arrow will hit. Had a hunter from back east one year whispering to me where to hold his 40 yard pin on a bedded buck 52 yards away. Had another guy wanting me to give him exact yardage on a buck that was chasing does, not standing still for long. And yessir, he was shooting a 3 pin fixed sight. Worried where to stick his 30 yard pin on a 36 yard mulie.

Slide sights ain't bad. But you do gotta use them and get used to them. And they are extremely tough and very well made. If you screw up a slide sight, you probably screwed up your bow as well.

25-Jan-22
I thought that a slider would give me more range, so I bought a used one. Montana Black Gold, 3 pin. I took off my 5 pin fixed and played around with the slider. And, based on my form, I couldn't get any more distance out of it. So when deer season was rolling around, my Spott Hogg 5 pin (20, 30, 40, 50, 60) went back on!

Short story. I heard of a guy hunting elk out west, bull comes in to a wallow. About 25 yards. He shoots & hits it. Bull ran & stopped at about 40 (he used a MBG 3 pin adjustable), he shot it a 2nd time. Bull runs off & comes back at about 60. He holds high & sends it. Bull not recovered despite resembling a pin cushion (i know, not funny). Turns out he shot at a dirt bank the day before & had dialed the sight to 55 & left it there. All of his shots were high, but unfortunately still hit.

Always set your bow sight back to 20 and always turn your scope back down!

25-Jan-22
I've used a single pin slider for many years. I have it set for 25 and, unless beyond about 35, leave it be. Amuses me when you see someone adjusting when a deer is at 15 or 20. Plus initially using their rangefinder!

25-Jan-22
X2 on what Thisismyhandle said. Like everyone says, I range landmarks before.

25-Jan-22
Watched an elk hunting YouTube video the other day. It wasn’t a name brand guy. He was hunting a good unit and in the course of 2 days he missed two shot opportunities on 330” + bulls because he didn’t have time to range and adjust his single pin slider. I was having a cow. Who uses a single pin slider for anything not standing at a feeder. If your effective range is 30 yards I guess it makes sense but if your range is beyond 40 I cannot imagine adjusting for everything that’s not 20 yards.

25-Jan-22
Sounds like most of the single pin slider guys use it the same way. I shoot same MBG as Jacquomo… at close distances it’s ”instinctive with a crutch”. At longer distances, there is usually time and space for rangefinder and sight adjustment.

25-Jan-22
What Lou said X2.... single pin here. Older MBG slider frame with their light adjusting full size head set up with one green .10 pin. Almost always set to 30 yards and rarely touch it. You don't fiddle with it moving it from 25 to 32 then down to 28, that's not how you use them. I'm good from 0 to 40 without touching it and never have to hold off the animal. Like it's on auto pilot. Hold a bit low, a bit high.... but I don't have a ball of pins in my sight picture, that's yuge to me. Anything much over 40 and if I don't have time to range it and slide I probably shouldn't shoot. Killed 2 bucks last year that were ranged and dialed 45 yards and 52 (he took another couple steps away while I was settling into the shot so actually about 55, held 52 a bit high and a perfect quartering away hit). One made it 40 yards and the other about 60. A doe at 47. Most everything else, goats, pigs, couple does were 40 and in, no ranging, no sliding. Odd year in that everything was from the ground. Sat in trees, saw plenty of deer, but either passed or no shots. But if in a tree here... it's a rare tree you get a clean shot over 30. Absolutely zero need to "fiddle" with anything.

WRT gap shooting.... there is no gap to shoot. I'm not familiar with the method, but with one pin I adjust where I hold on the animal in relation to where I want to hit, I know my arrow's trajectory. Similar as to when I used to shoot with a scoped rifle. I'm thinking gap shooting you are bracketing where you want to hit with your pins? Or are you doing the same thing as I am with one pin, at 25 yard are you holding your 30 pin low.... or your 20 pin high? Or not holding a pin on a spot at all and focused on bracketing where you want to hit?

Bottom line, if you guess your yardage wrong..... I don't care what sight you are using. More pins isn't going to make it a better miss......

25-Jan-22
My multi-pin friends call it "splitting pins". Which is effectively gap shooting.

I never figured out why anyone would need a 20 yard pin unless they are shooting spots competitively.

25-Jan-22

GhostBird's embedded Photo
... it's the part of the hunt the pro-staff sponsers wait for.
GhostBird's embedded Photo
... it's the part of the hunt the pro-staff sponsers wait for.

25-Jan-22
“ I never figured out why anyone would need a 20 yard pin unless they are shooting spots competitively.”

Jaq my coyote rifle has a night force scope with adjustable turrets. I could zero my score at 200-250 yards and kill anything under 300. A lot of folks do that. I zero at 100. I want to be holding where I’m going to hit for the vast majority of shots. Coyotes aren’t real big and if my zero has me two inches off of center I can’t pull off very much before I miss completely. If I aiming at the spot I want to hit I can “miss” by a few inches and still kill. If a yote is 250 and I have time I dial. If the yote is ready to bolt I just hold high. When my shots average 100 yards why would I want a 250 zero. Same with my 20 yard pin. Most shots are 20 or less. I wouldn’t want to forget to aim low with my 30 or 35 yard single pin and spine a deer. I get the appeal of less trash in the sight housing but I like to aim dead nuts 20-60 with my 5 pin and not guess.

25-Jan-22
"Who uses a single pin slider for anything not standing at a feeder"

Many guys on this site. Especially some of us guys that don't quite have the vision we once had. Danny Moore didn't seem to have problems with his single pin while elk hunting. All of this equipment works, you just have to be shooting what works best for you.

25-Jan-22
I understand what Curt is saying. But not sure why guys would need to make much of an adjustment while hunting whitetails. The vast majority of the deer I have shot was with the top pin of a 5 pin sight. I always set my top pin up for 30 yards. That put me hitting high at 20 yards by 2”.

This year I am switching to a HHA Tetra. The main reason for it is pin clutter. I will still set the pin at 30 while hunting whitetails.

25-Jan-22
Curt makes sense, that recreate helps tell a better story….

Sounds like most guys get it….you dont adjust your slider sight for every shot…you learn to gap off the pin. It seems the guys I was calling for had been watching too many of Lee’s videos

26-Jan-22
Single pin slider user here, elk hunter. Like others I set it to 30 and don't adjust it for normal shots. The one time I did adjust it a bull was circling me and I saw he was going to hit the edge of a clearing by a tree I had ranged at 50 yards. Conditions were perfect, everything but vitals blocked by trees. I got my bull.

Didn't buy it because of TV guys but because I once sent an arrow over the back of a bull at 20 yards because I used the wrong pin. I don't want extra pins in my way.

As a scoped rifle shooter holding a little high or low is natural for me.

Another possible use is following up a bad hit, may not be able to get in close but being able to dial in exact yardage beyond where most multiple pins end could save your day.

26-Jan-22
LFN my 5 pin dial adjustable can get my out to 100 yards before my fletchings hit my sight housing. That’s with a 560 grain arrow. I guess if I need to follow up further than that I’ll hold high and pray.

26-Jan-22
I pretty much don't do ANYTHING the TV guys do.

27-Jan-22
“I hunt the same deer and elk as everyone else”…. I don’t follow your show but I’m not buying that story. To say these private, leased, or outfitted lands with mostly unpressured animals aren’t different than public land pressured animals. That’s ridiculous. They may not let you pet them but they’ll tolerate a little more and give people a few extra precious seconds. Pressured public deer are gone at the slightest notion of anything. Lee Lakosky and I aren’t hunting the same deer. And I’m not even talking about horn size. Ever see these TV guys shoot a deer out of a field and the deer barely clear out, if they even do? Sorry we’re not all hunting the same deer.

27-Mar-22
How can I improve bottom housing clearance on long range settings in a slider. Vane will hit housing at longer ranges

28-Mar-22
Bou Raise your sight housing up in the bar. 1-2 screw holes makes a bug difference in travel. You may need to raise your peep height in the string as well. The other way is to shoot a faster arrow, thus ucing less sight movement(drop) in the housing itself. Im using the fast eddie xl on both my bows My Triax is 311fps My V3X is 329 fps I havent had a chance to get the new V3X out to anything past 50 yds yet, but have no issues with the Triax out to 100

28-Mar-22
Just more crap to sell the new and inexperience hunter. Hunting shows are nothing more than infomercials. The only thing they don't do is flash the 800 number to call and order, but I'm sure that's coming.

One side note, when you hunt deer that are rarely hunted you might get away with more movement.

28-Mar-22
"How can I improve bottom housing clearance on long range settings in a slider. Vane will hit housing at longer ranges"

You can't unless you change your peep height, move the housing closer, or, if using a drop away rest, rotate arrow so vane goes down. If the drop away is set correctly you'll clear the rest and have another .300+ of clearance under the housing.

28-Mar-22
I got roped in to a 3 pin slider. Used it 2 seasons.

It never cost me an animal, you just have to make adjustments at the right time no different than picking when you draw. But, it was more more place to make a mistake too. For that reason, I bagged it and put my fixed pin sight back on this weekend. I put the stupid in "keep it simple stupid".

28-Mar-22
I’ve made adjustments on my single pin adjustable a number of times, when whitetails are in range. You need to do it slowly and or when the deers head is behind trees or looking away. It can be done.

28-Mar-22
I've used a single pin slider for 15+ yrs. The only time I move it is to practice at 60 yds - Leave it there for a lot of the summer practicing my form. When hunting, its set for 25 yds and never moves - yes I'm a tree stand whitetail hunter. Have never moved it when hunting. I apply Kentucky windage for longer or shorter shots, but that is worked out in advance at the target range. I would not shoot at a deer longer than 35 yds, despite routine practice at 60. I do like the uncluttered view of a single pin sight.

28-Mar-22
I started with the old metal threaded sight posts with the painted round ball on the end. That was back in the 80’s. Graduated to the old fiber optic t-post sight. Then to a wire crosshair type sight. Spothog after that and now MBG. On all of them I have only ever used 1 single pin set at 30 or 35. I just learned to shoot my bow with whatever arrow combo I using. Much easier for me to just aim a little high or a little low when needed. My MBG is a single vertical pin slider. Best sight I have ever had. I never move it except when practicing shots farther that 40 yds. I have never moved it while hunting. If it’s farther than 40 yds or 50 at the farthest then I don’t shoot. I try to get closer. Having an uncluttered sight is extremely important to me.

29-Mar-22
I bought a 5 pin slider. Used it a little and had fun. Went to execute a semi-tame rabbit at my dad's place and shot over the head at 15 yards. Couldn't figure it out for days what went wrong until I realized I had forgot to put it back to zero. Never moved it again, and later bought a Spot Hogg fixed pin. Everyone has their own issues that they are likely to repeat. Forgetting to move it back is something I could see myself doing on repeat. Thankfully it only cost a semi-tame rabbit. Lesson learned for me.

29-Mar-22
^^APauls X2. I’ve done the same thing, a couple of different times, only with a 3 pin slider. Last time being on my Wyoming moose last fall. Set at 20, 30 & 40. I was rechecking the marks out to 70 at camp, last check was at 50. Got to within 44 on my bull and held on his heart. At the shot, my first thought was “dead bull”, but a good bit higher than it should have been. Thankfully, moose are big critters with more room for error and he only went about 100 yds before piling up, but things could have been less than ideal. The first time was on a Tom turkey at 30 yds and I missed him TWICE at that range! Blew feathers off the top of his back the second time. Didn’t take long to figure it out once I got home.

29-Mar-22
I've used a single pin slider for 15+ yrs. The only time I move it is to practice at 60 yds - Leave it there for a lot of the summer practicing my form. When hunting, its set for 25 yds and never moves - yes I'm a tree stand whitetail hunter. Have never moved it when hunting. I apply Kentucky windage for longer or shorter shots, but that is worked out in advance at the target range. I would not shoot at a deer longer than 35 yds, despite routine practice at 60. I do like the uncluttered view of a single pin sight.

29-Mar-22
Bou, if you have a multi pin slider, you can push your pins towards the bottom of the housing. It effectively gives you more room to slide the housing down at your longest ranges.

If you have a double pin single slider, use your second pin for your sight tape.

29-Mar-22
Thanks guys

28-Feb-24
Have a pristine Montana black gold pro sight listed in classifieds. Wanted same model in each bow so this one is for sale. Single pin. Pristine condition

28-Feb-24
I have always used a seven pin spot hog slider. For treestand hunting whitetails, I switched to a spot hog triple stack which is a single vertical pin with three fiber optic pins “embedded “ in it. I set the pins at 20,30, and 40 yards. Can’t imagine taking a shot at a whitetail over 40. This arrangement gets rid of the pin clutter caused by horizontal pins and I find that I shoot a bit better by aligning that pin behind the crease. I also used that sight on my recent brown bear hunt and it worked well. I tried using a single pin a few times and didn’t like it due to the need to move it. When hunting other animals where a shot at yards over 40 may be required, I use my seven pin slider.

28-Feb-24
I shoot a fixed 5 pin, but, in years past, have had excellent opportunities at great bulls out passed 60yds. For that reason, considering going to a slider of some kind. Seriously considering the Option Canyon Pounder. Anyone shooting one? Your thoughts?

28-Feb-24
I have a slider but has become useless for me because with out my reading glasses on I can’t see the sight tape lol , So it is set for about 18 yds and I keep my shots at 25 yds or less, I know this limits me but I’m only shooting 49 lbs now and the system has worked for me , It’s hell to be getting older but for me it has always been a close game sport

• Sitka Gear