Jack Harris 10-Feb-22
KHNC 10-Feb-22
Jack Harris 10-Feb-22
groundhunter50 10-Feb-22
#bowhunter 11-Feb-22
Shuteye 11-Feb-22
t-roy 11-Feb-22
28-Jan-22
Just got back from the Ag Store stocking up on Kelly's mix . Got 300lbs of ingredients. Plan is to refresh my 3 sites tomorrow. They were hammered last year. Pretty big holes now from them digging. Dicalcium Phosphate Trace Mineral Dried Molasses

Good stuff- The deer love it. Hope it actually helps. Costs 30% more than last year same time.

29-Jan-22
What was the bill for 300# this year?

29-Jan-22
When I was making my own homer mixes years back, di-cal was hard to find. Is it easy to find these days? I was adding dollar store brown sugar and instant jello mixes...mostly the berry flavored ones....apple if you can find it.

30-Jan-22
I was thinking of trying a mineral mix this year and was wondering what a good ratio for salt, lime and dical is. I can get everything at no cost so that is not an issue. Also how and where to put it out ideas would be appreciated. thanks, Moe

30-Jan-22
moe………Look up the “Kelly Harris Mineral Recipe” thread, from last year. Some good information in it.

I’ve used several different minerals mixes over the years, and started using Kelly’s mix last year. The deer really hammered my sites more than ever this year.

30-Jan-22
Based on you guys, I added molasses to the mineral and refreshed my 3 sites two weeks ago.

Thanks!

30-Jan-22
When you start a site, how much do you add the first time and how often do you add more?

30-Jan-22
Matt…….2-3 gallon bucketful would be good to start with. I’d dig the dirt up in about a 3’ circle at your site, and mix the mineral in with the dirt. Depending how much they utilize it, I’d freshen it up 2-3 during the spring/summer, possibly more if they really work it hard. In my area, they usually quit hitting the licks around the time that the bucks shed their velvet. Usually see a little activity starting in late February, and and really picks up in March/April.

31-Jan-22
All this is good information. 300lbs cost me 161.88 this time. I thought that was a bit high. The deer do love it though. Hopefully it helps. Main reason i do it is so i can get my cameras out in July and see what bucks are around. The bachelor groups seem to stay on it daily. Dical is NOT easy to find. I have one place that carries it , and they dont always have it in stock. Southern States in Fletcher NC.

31-Jan-22
^....sounds like finding dical is still a hit or miss thing.

31-Jan-22
I tried finding Dical after re reading the thread from last year and still can not find it near me. My buddy in PA is gonna check down there and get back to me.

31-Jan-22
I went with my homer mix without Dical. I used mineral stuff from Tractor Supply and the deer liked it....especially after adding the sugar, jello mix and vanilla.

01-Feb-22
^^Isnt Di-Cal one of the main things needed for antler growth and overall bone density health?

01-Feb-22
I don't remember the brand name, but I believe the Tractor Supply mix had it as part of the mix. I was using mixes as a deer attractant.

01-Feb-22
Does anyone have a good source of dicalcium phosphate or granular molasses in Northern Ohio? I live west of Cleveland and have land in Coshocton County so anywhere near or between the two would be convenient.

01-Feb-22
goyt……If there’s a feed mill, co-op, or feed store in your area, I would think they would be able to order some for you. Don’t know if you’re in a farm or livestock production area or not, though.

01-Feb-22

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
This is what I purchase at Family Center in Paola, KS. It does have a deer pictured on it and comes close to the “official” deer minerals sold. $14.95 a 50 lbs sack. Their dried molasses is $19.95 for 50 lbs. you can probably find this on-line.

01-Feb-22
goyt. Call Wilson Feed Mill in Valley View, Oh You can order and pick up di-cal here.

01-Feb-22

Here is the ingredients for the Ragland brand. I did mix by shovel a sack of each and deer are already hitting the one by our pond.

I believe it was Troy that uses a 3 point cement mixer to blend them, which is what I would do if I had access to one.

01-Feb-22
I was mixing smaller batches in 5gl buckets and toting it out to the hunt areas. If you want to mix in larger batches....maybe use your deer drag cart.

01-Feb-22
HFW…..it was just an older electric cement mixer that I picked up on the cheap at a farm sale. It sure works great to mix the mineral mix up, though. I also get a lot of my bulk N, P & K fertilizer in separate garbage cans and tubs, so I can mix different formulations for different plots. The mixer works awesome for that, as well. I just rinse it out with the garden hose after I’m finished.

01-Feb-22
Thanks, I am going to look for one.

09-Feb-22
Anyone in Oklahoma have leads for these ingredients? I checked with Eckroat Seed in OKC but don't carry. Haven't checked with a feed store yet. May call the local one by our property and check with him too. Thanks!

09-Feb-22

09-Feb-22
If there are dairy cattle in your area , find a place that sells to them . Di Cal is used as a supplement for dairy cattle feed . My Michigan property is in a big dairy farm area . Local coop sells it .

09-Feb-22
I noticed you said help,is there anything in the mix that benefits deer?Or just for attraction.I don't see how you could get a deer to digest enough of even a high quality mineral to help antler growth.I do this there may be something that could be added to help with ticks and EHD nids

09-Feb-22
I was able to get everything, dicalcium phosphate, dry molasses and trace minerals from Heritage Coop in Fresno, OH. They did not have it all at that store but they were able to bring it in from other stores. If you have convenient access to any of their stores just give that store a call and, in a week, or so they should be able to get it all for you.

10-Feb-22
"I noticed you said help,is there anything in the mix that benefits deer?Or just for attraction.I don't see how you could get a deer to digest enough of even a high quality mineral to help antler growth.I do this there may be something that could be added to help with ticks and EHD nids"

I use it like deer crack. They cant stay away from it! Early bow season, they still hit it. At least i know what bucks are living on my property initially. After September its a crap shoot anyway. Big or small they wander off somewhere for a while.

10-Feb-22
How much dried molasses should I add to a 3gal mix?

10-Feb-22
Can someone please post the exact mixture/ratios? Tried doing a search but that function appears to be broken on here. Thanks

10-Feb-22
I Jack, i use a 50lb bag of each per mineral site. I have two sites on 66 acres. I mix all 3 bags equal. So if i was doing a 5gal bucket i would use just under 2gal of each bag. Probably 40lbs in a 5gal bucket, so 13lbs of each approx.

10-Feb-22
Thank you KH

10-Feb-22
Thanks also K

11-Feb-22
I can't bring up the mineral list, can someone post each mineral & ratio. Thanks

11-Feb-22
I have used every kind of mineral out there for over 50 years. Now I just pour a $12 Black Magic on the ground and that's it. Deer will start on it the first night. A bag will last several weeks. They will dig a big hole. They use it all year but really hit it hard in early spring. There is a liquid that goes with the powder but I don't use it since the powder works great all alone. I don't even add water the rain will wash it in but they love the dry powder before it rains. They also like the big brown salt blocks that are used for cattle and they are cheap and supposed to have all the good minerals for cattle.

11-Feb-22
Like KHNC posted above, I mixed equal amounts of trace minerals, dicalcium phosphate, and dried molasses. I also added some free salt in the mix. Approximately 10 lbs of salt to every 50 lbs of each other ingredients.

• Sitka Gear