JSW 31-Jan-22
JSW 31-Jan-22
Bowhunter5031 31-Jan-22
Quinn @work 31-Jan-22
StickFlicker 01-Feb-22
Big Joe 01-Feb-22
Bowhunter5031 01-Feb-22
29-Jan-22
Has anyone hunted with Motshweve Safaris & Outfitters out of South Africa? Attended a hunting show yesterday and they have a great deal but need to get more info on them

29-Jan-22
Have not hunted with them. But hunted with Limcroma twice in SA.

29-Jan-22
Have hunted Limcroma once but want to go back to South Africa. Talked to about 6 outfitters from South Africa & the best deal was 10 days, eight animals, crating , dipping, taxidermy & observer for $5,995. They will also take you to Kruger for 4 days at $275/person/day all inclusive, it is about 6 hours dr. There were other deals there that were pretty good too. They all said not any problem traveling.

29-Jan-22
This deal good for 2022, 2023, 2024

29-Jan-22
That's dirt cheap!! What's the list of animals and trophy quality for that price?

29-Jan-22
Wayne,

Have you ever bowhunted South Africa before?

29-Jan-22
I did hunt SA in Aug. 16 with Limcroma, great outfit. Kudu, zebra, impala, blesbuck, steenbuck, springbuck, blue wildebeast & Gemsbuck. Like all the others, you can take anything in exchange just pay difference in trophy fee.

29-Jan-22
Very nice brochure. Pics of animals taken look very nice but I'm sure nothing small made the cut.

29-Jan-22
If the taxidermy is an acceptable quality, that is an excellent deal. However, I have seen very little taxidermy come out of RSA that I consider acceptable. Definately ask them for recent taxidermy references. Or you can just get Euro mounts and there's almost no risk with that.

29-Jan-22
Pat, I hate to say it, but I have seen some sorry euro work come out of Africa. Poorly boiled, lack of boiling entire skull or over boiling and damage to skull. I'm a "victim" and I have had to "lick the calf again" to get things right. With African work, it is just not financially feasible to take it back and demand that the work be done right.

I have also gotten some mostly beautiful euro work out of Africa.

In the big scheme of things more good than bad. No different than in US- good taxidermists and sorry taxidermists.

29-Jan-22
What are the 8 animals offered on the hunt?

What is the ratio of PH/hunter?

How many acres will you be hunting?

"Dipping taxidermy"- is this "dip and ship" of trophies or is this full taxidermy work? If taxidermy, what type of mounting (shoulder, 1/2 body, full)?

What about skin processing?

How far from Joburg? Is transport to and from Joburg included in the hunt price?

Is this outfitter set up for bowhunting? Average shot distance?

Recent references provided?

29-Jan-22
Bow hunted Limcroma 3x. You will not be disappointed....

29-Jan-22
Thanks for all the threads. Limcroma was great but this appears to be a great deal. A different area, a different outfitter as well some different species available. A plus is the trip to Kruger making for a great hunting, photo combination. Loved SA when I went & really want my wife to have the experience too.

31-Jan-22
that is a sweet deal, even if you do just dip ship or euros you are way ahead,

31-Jan-22
It sounds like a good deal but… there’s no way I’d have my taxidermy done over there. The first time I went I was talked into having it done there and it was cheaper but you get what you pay for. When I got my animals back they were so bad I was embarrassed to show them to anyone. I ended up paying to have them redone here in the states. When I complained to the guy he offered to give me a deal on my next trophies. There really is no recourse if you’re unhappy with their work and you are stuck with them.

31-Jan-22
Only one thing worse than bad taxidermy……..

31-Jan-22
I am constantly researching pricing at different African safari companies, and I can tell you that Motshwere Safaris & Outfitters has had by far the most expensive prices I've ever seen for additional animals. If you are happy just taking the animals in the package, they offer some great show deals, but if you plan to take any additional species while you're there, I'm not sure you could find more expensive prices anywhere in South Africa.

31-Jan-22
I would expect that what they mean by "taxidermy" is skinning, prepping, dipping and packing, not actually mounting. If it's mounted, it would not require dipping.

I would never have anything mounted in Africa. They convince you that you will save money but you never do. Then there's the fact that the quality of work from Africa is nothing compared to US quality.

31-Jan-22
I would expect that what they mean by "taxidermy" is skinning, prepping, dipping and packing, not actually mounting. If it's mounted, it would not require dipping. The dipping process generally cleans to skull good enough for a euro mount. Sometimes they over boil the skulls and you lose some of the upper palate.

I would never have anything mounted in Africa. They convince you that you will save money and their guy is really good but that's seldom the case. The quality of work from Africa is nothing compared to US quality.

31-Jan-22
Thanks for all the input. I did notice that his trophy costs are high, if fact, quite a bit higher then most all outfits that I have looked at. THANKS TO ALL

31-Jan-22
If it sounds like too good of a deal it usually isn't in the end.

If you had a good trip with Limcroma I would consider going back with them. They seem to have great references here. There's also other great places that are bowsite sponsors.

Never have taxidermy done in Africa. I had all my mounts done here in the US and the one euro (warthog) I had them do in Africa got to the US in a couple pieces due to over boiling. My taxidermist had to glue it back together, missing teeth and had to re-bleach to get the grease out.

01-Feb-22
For those that haven't gone lately, the shipping costs are getting crazy high the last couple of years. Shipping home full mounts would be awfully costly! On a recent quote, four animals with just skull/horns on one, just flat skin on another and two with skull/horns/cape, it was close to $3,000 all-in from dip and pack to arrival.

01-Feb-22
After the video I saw this morning, I would stay away from them. The video showed the most unethical hunting I have seen, EVER. Guides chasing zebra with a vehicle and yelling at the hunter to "Shoot it in the ass". Not once but 5 times. That after the hunter missed 4 shots on the zebra. They aren't registered as a member of PHASA, because I tried to lodge a complaint earlier today to get their licenses revoked.

It is outfitters like these that give hunting/hunters a bad name. I wish somehow we can get rid of them in the industry.

01-Feb-22
THANKS ALL!!!

• Sitka Gear