Zim 27-Jun-22
BC 27-Jun-22
Jeff Holchin 27-Jun-22
blue spot 27-Jun-22
Kodiak 27-Jun-22
Kodiak 27-Jun-22
Babysaph 27-Jun-22
29-Jan-22
How is the future looking? Just applied and they were down to 6 NR tags last year. Been going down steadily. Even at max points (17) my odds are still significantly below 1%. Depressing. 17 years of points and $25 fee for a 1:300 chance.

29-Jan-22
Yes, the population in NH and at least the southern half of ME has taken a hit due to the winter tick. The southerly half of NH will never have a bunch of moose due to brain worm. Deer carry it with no side effect but it is tragically deathly to moose. And the southerly fringe in both states varies depending on the level of heavy timber harvesting. I grew up in NH, watched a lot of friends and acquaintances get drawn multiple times. Never drawn as a resident and still not as an out of stater. Took me 20 years to get drawn in ME.

I was working in the northern tip of the state this past october/november. Walking back to the truck one day we spotted 3 cows in the edge of the woods on a clear cut. We watched them for 20-30 minutes. They looked to be in good shape but not one calf with them. It was either an older cow and 2 yearlings or 3 yearlings. Back ten or fifteen years ago when I used to a bunch of contract timber cruising on industrial land I was finding a dozen plus sets of moose bones per town. Always cows, bunches of calves and a mix of older animals. In my opinion, for years they kept the population far to high because it was such a cash cow supporting the self funded department and the was so much commercial interest looking at or hunting them. The woods were really beat up from over browsing. If you were a farmer you couldn't keep such a high population in a pasture without expecting parasite problems. Even less surprising growing a herd with no wormer or other parasite control. There are definitely moose in the north end of the state and you get a better big woods experience. But I sure wouldn't waste my time taking a tag in the southerly third of the state. The middle third of the state you better know well if you expect to succeed. And I am pretty familiar with the state and have worked in the woods a bunch. Erik

29-Jan-22
Keep trying don. That’s all you can do. I’ve been in as a NR since before points and have never drawn. Been a sub permittee 4 times. Pretty awesome up there on these hunts

29-Jan-22
Thanks! I drew Vermont years ago. Hunted hard all day the whole season and ne is saw or heard a moose. That was frustrating. I put in for all units in NH, blue spot was that a mistake?

29-Jan-22
Theirs an article out about Minnesota’s declining moose and the cause is both ticks and brainworm.

29-Jan-22
Don, It is not a mistake to put in for all the units if your primary goal is drawing a tag. If your primary goal is drawing a tag for a zone with a decently high population of animals and lots of industrial timberland or national forest where you can hunt thousands of acres without having to ask permission, then I recommend being a little more choosy. Spend a little time looking at aerial photos to see if there is enough clear cutting/heavy cutting to maintain a decent density of moose. No moose don't need clear cuts. But you need a reasonable abundance of clear cutting so there is enough high quality brows to support more than a couple of these creatures. I grew up in NH unit M. I have seen moose sign in many towns and seen moose in several towns. But I honestly don't like my chances of finding any moose in that zone in just 8 days. Many years ago when I was a farm manger/caretaker just north of Keene I picked up my very first shed and it is still one of my bigger moose antlers. But again, I would hate to roll the dice on that unit with my likely one and only try. I have managed the woods on 400 acres surrounding a farm in the middle of the state. Early on I can remember heading back to my truck to see 3 cows admiring their reflections in the glass of the cab. Fun memory. Several abutting lots had been cut very hard and there was a pretty good local population. But the woods grew up and the browse aged out and the population declined. Recently there has been a bunch of heavy cutting in the area including the property I manage. I may have to give the area a second thought as to whether I would want a tag there. The north end of the state has thousands of acres of heavy cuts that area heavily used by moose. and you can actually stand a good chance at finding sign and animals. And there are enough moose that you don't need to feel like you should kill the first one you see for fear of not seeing another.

so now as an out of stater I am going to be pretty picky on what unit I would pay the long dollar for the pleasure to hunt it. In Maine the state gives tags for some low density population of moose on the southern tier of their population. The state admits up front it is a challenge and gives you a whole month running concurrent with our deer rifle season. Basically the month of November. I live in the south end of one of those zones. One evening in december on a logging job in my home town I saw 4 moose parade by. I may have also gone 4 years without seeing a moose as well.

I would sum it up this way. I would buy an extra chest freezer before my hunt up north. I would wait until i knew I needed it if I was hunting moose in the southern half of NH.

30-Jan-22
Thanks blue spot! I will continue to apply for all units. Funny you mention the freezer. I really want to harvest as many different species unguided as possible. When I drew Vermont it was either sex and I would have happily shot a bow. I was rifle hunting and have hunted all over the US and AK and was confident I would easily fill my tag with a moose. I rented a spit and planned a huge BBQ for when I returned. I planned to cook an entire rack of ribs (Flintstones tyle) on the spit.

Man did that assure I would not kill a moose:)

30-Jan-22
Yeah never forget that old Moose saying don’t count your rack of ribs before they’re roasting

03-Feb-22
pretty much every zone has some moose in it , of course they are in pockets with the best habitat is in the southern half there is just so much more human population finding that good habitat is tougher,if you should be lucky enough to draw there are always plenty of locals that are willing to help

03-Feb-22
pretty much every zone has some moose in it , of course they are in pockets with the best habitat is in the southern half there is just so much more human population finding that good habitat is tougher,if you should be lucky enough to draw there are always plenty of locals that are willing to help

03-Feb-22
Thanks!

04-Feb-22
You're ahead of me, I'm only setting on 13 points...8^)

04-Feb-22
I have a related question: if I read correctly, the percent success of moose hunters in NH is surprisingly high. Why would this be? Moose are pretty scarce and elusive, right? I wonder if it’s because those fortunate enough to have a tag know that it’s a unique opportunity, and devote their full effort to it.

27-Jun-22
Ironically I came close to drawing. l got alternate permit #5. Sounds good until I realized there are only 7 total NR permits. I was an alternate last year (higher #). Makes me feel like next year is my year! haha

27-Jun-22
Any interest in Newfie caribou? A friend is going, looking for someone to go along.

27-Jun-22
I drew NH C2 in 2012 and scouted a full week prior to my hunt. Even there, moose sightings were not abundant. I only laid eyes on two dinks and one rag horn in two weeks until my buddy found the only guy logging out there and he put us on a big one with just a day left in my hunt. Otherwise I’d have eaten the tag. I don’t use guides, but would definitely get prices if I ever draw Maine. Just too rare an opportunity.

27-Jun-22
I drew an alternate in NH this year. Second year in a row. Only problem is I’m # 23. Not making any plans….

27-Jun-22

Jeff Holchin's embedded Photo
Jeff Holchin's embedded Photo
So glad that I drew a moose tag back in 2003 and put an arrow through the 16th moose that I saw during my hunt. That had to be near the peak of the population in recent years. So sad that the population has declined so much since then. My son and I were in NH fishing and turkey hunting this spring, and couldn’t believe the tick situation….

27-Jun-22
Zim, there is probably more moose and good habitat in C2 than any other zone in NH. If you struggled to find a moose in that zone you wouldn't stand a chance in the mid and southern zones. The majority of that zone is industrial forest that gets harvested on a regular basis. Lots of browse and edge between forest types. Congrats on sticking with it and pulling it out in the end.

27-Jun-22
"Theirs an article out about Minnesota’s declining moose and the cause is both ticks and brainworm"

It's tragic what's happening in Minnesota.

27-Jun-22
Way too many wolves in MN also.

27-Jun-22
I’d say you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than killing a moose there

• Sitka Gear