Kurt 03-Feb-22
LKH 03-Feb-22
hunter12345 03-Feb-22
03-Feb-22

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
19, 20 and 21 inch skulls
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
19, 20 and 21 inch skulls
We got these 3 bears aged from DeerAge after we thought they were all the same age but very different sizes. We had them all at 5 1/2 yr olds.

03-Feb-22
That's interesting data. Thanks

03-Feb-22
About as much variation in size as people...and older than what I assume is your estimate Mike or was the the tooth ager's estimate? Thanks!

03-Feb-22
Once killed a bear in ID that weighed less than 150. Teeth were nearly worn out.

03-Feb-22
Interesting. I was always surprised with the low age you gave for your bears given the size even knowing they have good genetics and pretty good food. This still shows pretty impressive size for that age as far as Iā€™m concerned.

One of the few good things Ontario does is age your bear for you if you mail in a tooth. The only one I sent in was from a fall boar estimated 300 pounds and squared 6ā€™5ā€. Skull was 18 3/16. Bear was 10.5 years old. Life in a boreal forest in far north ontario and an area that had never had established bear baits I think was evident in the relatively small size for the age. In the same general area I know of sows u set 150 lbs that had teeth pretty much worn to the gums from age.

• Sitka Gear