bghunter 05-Feb-22
FORESTBOWS 05-Feb-22
yeager 06-Feb-22
yeager 06-Feb-22
bghunter 06-Feb-22
yeager 06-Feb-22
INbowdude 06-Feb-22
04-Feb-22
I retired in April 2021 and my plan was to take a 3 week trip to New Zealand with my wife and spend at least 7-10 days hunting for Red Stag and fly fishing. Those plans have been on hold since New Zealand closed their borders but it appears the lockdown will be lifted later this year and at this time it appears they’ll lift the travel ban in October:

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Thursday that her country would soon start phasing out border restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19. Beginning Feb. 27, fully-vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residents, and certain visa holders will be allowed in from Australia, and will not need to undergo a 10-day quarantine at a government-run facility. Travelers will still have to self-quarantine. Two weeks later, vaccinated people from anywhere in the world will be allowed entry, with self-quarantine. By October, after nearly two years of shuttered borders, all pandemic travel restrictions should be lifted. "We must turn to the importance of reconnection," Ardern said. "Families and friends need to reunite. Our businesses need skills to grow." [BBC News, The Washington Post]

04-Feb-22
That's great news! New Zealand is on my list of places to see. Congratulations on your retirement and good luck hunting down there.

04-Feb-22
Which island are you going to be on, Scott?

I have buddies who have fly fished there, and they say it's unbelievable. Definitely on my bucket list.

Matt

04-Feb-22
You are going to love it!!

04-Feb-22
My dad and I sent our deposits in 2 weeks prior to the shutdowns. We are suppose to be on the south island April 4 but have been moved to next year mid April. Can't wait to chase some stags! This is good news. Our outfitter us 99% certain everything will go as planned now and they wi have a 2022 season

04-Feb-22
Matt,

We’ll probably visit both islands but we haven’t even started planning since it shut down almost a year prior to when I retired. Big question is if pent up demand is going to drive up prices like we saw in Canada.

04-Feb-22
Hopefully this doesn’t fall through. We’re scheduled for a red stag/tahr hunt for early April of 2023. Been bumped back twice already.

04-Feb-22
Exciting guys.

Living the dream, hang tight you’ll get there.

Best of luck!

04-Feb-22
Hopefully it all works out. Red stag won’t have antlers that time of year though.

04-Feb-22
Great to hear!

04-Feb-22
New Zealand is on my bucket list to, but it will not open up per the current plan There has only been 17,500 cases of Covid within a population of 5.1 million. Vacs wont stop this omicron. Hopefully they will let it run its course as quickly as they can handle it. USA has a reported case total of about 1 out of 4 people, Canada 1 out of 10, New Zealand 1 out of 294!.

05-Feb-22
New Zealand is on the 25th wedding anniversary list for me and my bride. Good to hear they will be open. May have to work in a trip later in 2022 or 2023.

05-Feb-22
I loved my trip there and would love to go back again, get in the mountains and chase Tahr

05-Feb-22
I have a God daughter there I have only seen once. She is 2 now. Looking forward to getting back over there and hunting/guiding with my friends.

06-Feb-22
Good news to hear…….my wife and I were planning to go there this year for our 50th anniversary, but decided to put it off to 2023.

06-Feb-22
Good news to hear…….my wife and I were planning to go there this year for our 50th anniversary, but decided to put it off to 2023.

06-Feb-22
Yeager,

If on the south island go see Milford sound and take the overnight cruise.

06-Feb-22
Thanks for the info Shawn.

06-Feb-22
I've been there twice and I'd go back again! You will absolutely love it. Try the meat pies! Keep an open mind to hunting more than just the red stag. Cheers!

• Sitka Gear