BULELK1 08-Feb-22
SBH 08-Feb-22
SteveB 08-Feb-22
Chuckster 08-Feb-22
Roper 08-Feb-22
Beendare 09-Feb-22
Rockbass 10-Feb-22
06-Feb-22
I finally believe I will draw an early archery Arizona 5B North Elk tag for 2022.

I decided since I will be 63 when September rolls around and know nothing about the Unit I will go with an outfitter for 10-14 days.

I am not looking to put a 370-380 on the ground but would be tickled pink with a 340 class bull as I should be from that unit.

Does anyone have any outfitter recommendations for Unit 5B North and if so, what guide they think has knowledge and experience with the Unit?

Since this is most likely going to be my last archery Elk hunt I just want a great experience in some beautiful country with some great people (taking an Elk home will just be a bonus).

Hope everyone has a great 2022 hunting season. Thank you.

06-Feb-22
Ask that question over on coueswhitetail.com in their forum. Campfire or elk section or in both. It’s an Arizona based hunting site with a lot of good AZ info.

06-Feb-22
Steven Ward (Ward's Outfitters) is a Bowsite sponsor and is familiar - might start with him.

06-Feb-22
Thanks for the info. Will check out both your recommendations.

06-Feb-22
I heard AZG&F gave Wards a timeout for a few years.

06-Feb-22
A big difference between ‘hearing’ and proof! Wards or HighPoint, they live in Flagstaff…

06-Feb-22
Ike, the Commission revoked his license for 5 years back in December 2021.

06-Feb-22
Still haven’t seen a link!

06-Feb-22
I hunted AZ unit 7 west about 5 yrs ago. Public ground was over run with people. I suggest u try and find a private ranch to hunt.

06-Feb-22
Go to cousewhitetail.com and search Wards outfitters there’s about a 10 page thread about it.

06-Feb-22

AZ8's Link
Ike, go to 2:46 in the audio link. You can listen to the entire hearing starting around 2:09.

06-Feb-22
And to the OP, sorry about the hijack. Ike asked for a link and I provided.

06-Feb-22
Look into Steve Chappell. Otherwise I would have said Ward's too.

06-Feb-22
Yup, Chappell is another one…Go to Jay Scott PodCast and you can hear quite a few of the guides on there, that Jay interviews and talks about units they hunt!

07-Feb-22
Have had great hunts with Big Chino. Might be good to reach out to JP Vicente for a convo.

07-Feb-22
Delete

07-Feb-22
"Public ground was over run with people. I suggest u try and find a private ranch to hunt."

That's virtually non-existent in Arizona. The only such ranch I can think of charges $15,000 after you have to draw the tag.

07-Feb-22
My experience is if you can walk more than 1/4 mile from a road or a tank you get away from most AZ elk hunters. I’ve drawn 5 or 6 bull tags there over the years and never had an issue getting away from the crowds.

07-Feb-22
Walk?!? Did you say walk? That’s ridiculous…

:-)

07-Feb-22
PM sent

08-Feb-22
63 and last elk hunt?

Huh. Why didn't I think of using that one.......

08-Feb-22
+1 Matt

I can't remember hiking/hunting into another hunter in the 7 Bull tags I've drawn over the many years.

Good luck, Robb

08-Feb-22
I'm not help on referrals but I hope you have a great hunt and kill a whopper! Let us know who you go with and how you do please. Good luck.

08-Feb-22
I was in 5a about 4 years ago and too many hunters were not a problem.

08-Feb-22
I listened to the whole thing regarding Steve. Bowsite and Pat were mentioned multiple times during that hearing. The cabin Steve rents belongs to my brothers boss. Nice place.

08-Feb-22
Go to cousewhitetail.com and search Wards outfitters there’s about a 10 page thread about it.

09-Feb-22
I help a buddy guide in the rifle seasons in AZ. We typically go 4 for 5 or 3 for 5 on good bulls…most guys pass the small ones so we are not 100%.

I talk to hunters almost every day on the roads that have been hunting for days and never see an elk and the success in those units is pretty poor considering its a rifle hunt.

The secret to his success….but you have to keep this just between us- grin…….my buddy spends 300 days a year scouting those units.

10-Feb-22
AZ8 - No problem . To everyone else that helped out..a big thank you....a lot of good information. Now I just have to narrow the search down and also...narrow the waist down!

• Sitka Gear