Bowfreak 08-Feb-22
Michael 08-Feb-22
Pat Lefemine 08-Feb-22
Pat Lefemine 08-Feb-22
Bowfreak 08-Feb-22
Pat Lefemine 08-Feb-22
Bowfreak 08-Feb-22
07-Feb-22
For those of you using the Stratus jacket and bibs/pants, what are your other layers you use to make up your system and what temps are you able to hunt comfortably with these combinations? I am wanting to add a few pieces in the off season.

07-Feb-22
I am in Kansas, as far as I am concerned the Stratus System is my go to about 90% of the time. I have the pants I am going to get a pair of bibs this off season, have the vest, and jacket. On most days I go with mid weight mernio base, pants, fanatic hoddie, and Stratus Vest. Carry my coat in and put on depending on how windy or cold. The Wind block is the game changer for me. As I get older I can see having the fanatic, currently on really cold days I wear my 5.0 under armour stuff and than same set as mentioned above. There is a lot of pieces of clothing I have that if something happened would take a while to replace, not stratus if I lose, rip, etc... a piece I will replace ASAP.

07-Feb-22
So you use the mid weight merino base and then add the UA 5.0 over the mid weight when it is cold or replace the mid weight merino with the UA 5.0?

07-Feb-22
Put 5.0 over Merino. I have tried the fanatic bibs, and jacket, just not many days here they would come in handy. However will tell you that every year cold seems to affect me more so that may be next save item for me. From my previous experience trying them I think when its in 20s I could wear shorts and tshirt underneath and be plenty warm.

07-Feb-22
Thanks!

07-Feb-22
Kind of depends on how much wind I am dealing with but 25 degrees or so and colder is when I break the stratus bibs and jacket out. The lower end of those temps I will start with minus 33 merino base, cold weather hoody, gradient bottoms and the bibs and jacket. That's it. I can't walk more than 10 feet wearing those bibs unless it is real cold out. I have the fanatic system too and have worn it once in 3 seasons - just doesn't get cold enough for me and I let my son use it instead. Has to be around 0 before I want the fanatic stuff normally - but again it depends on how much wind.

08-Feb-22
Anyone else?

08-Feb-22
I have worn a north face 1/4 zip, sweatshirt hoodie and stratus jacket with temps in the mid to upper 30’s. Anything colder then that I switch to a fanatic jacket.

For my legs I have worn a Sitka base layer, cargo pants and the stratus bibs in temps down to single digits.

08-Feb-22
I never owned a Sitka Stratus set until this past season and boy was I missing out. I had used the Fanatic Lite set instead which is good for the 'cool' temperature ranges but I prefer the Stratus now. As far as layering, it's hard to say without knowing the temp and wind conditions. I generally just use a stratus vest, fanatic hoody, or the core lightweight hoody as variables depending on temperature. If I'm down in the 30's with a wind, I may just wear all three - or just use the Fanatic.

08-Feb-22
Not to Hijack this thread but I recently just reviewed the Aerolite Incinerator Jacket and Bib in 0-5 degrees with a 10-15mph wind. It's fantastic. I had read some reviews on it being noisy, or stiff, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's warmth without the bulk. However, it is no good for temps above 20, IMO. You will cook in it. I guess that's why they call it the incinerator. Plus, it's very expensive - far more than the Fanatic system.

Look for the review to be posted next week.

08-Feb-22
How about your bottoms Pat, are us using bibs or pants and what layers under them?

08-Feb-22
Assume you're referring to Stratus? I Always use bibs. I own the pants but I don't think I ever used them.

08-Feb-22
Yes, Stratus.

• Sitka Gear