Hancock West 13-Feb-22
drycreek 13-Feb-22
wildwilderness 13-Feb-22
Buffalo1 13-Feb-22
Bentstick54 13-Feb-22
Inshart 14-Feb-22
APauls 14-Feb-22
13-Feb-22
Question...As a lone senior hunter (75) with some physical disabilities, I am struggling with the idea of either giving up hunting altogether or hunting on a high/low fence ranch. My wife and I love the wild game but she is becoming afraid that I will injure myself and have no one to help me. We have already lost a close hunting friend to a hunting accident.

13-Feb-22
Just do whitetail from a ground blind. About as easy, simple, and safe as it gets. And GREAT meat.

13-Feb-22
Keep hunting how ever you can!

13-Feb-22
I have no problem with you if you can afford it go it. The problem I have is people with no disability only deep pockets and large egos.

13-Feb-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
DIY, Public land. My sons 1st Antelope bowhunt 2019
DIY, Public land. My sons 1st Antelope bowhunt 2019
I'm 80 & still bowhunting & competing. I am lucky. That being said I've done 95% of all my bowhunting on public land (I started in 1956) & DIY & camp in a "tent" so please, no one " preach" to me about fair chase... Took my son in 2019 on his first Antelope bowhunt & he took a Buck the 3rd day, public land on our own. Anyway, I HAVE done some High Fench too. All have been on 1200 & 4000 acre ranches. All great experience & fun. NO, not shooting in a little pen. These were what is called Day Lease places & we always went for Hogs & a couple times Exotic Deer we could not afford in their native countries, Day lease is NOT a guarenteed kill like the expensive put & take places. We like to go for hogs in like Feb.,March & get a off season bowhunt + a break from our normal snow & under 20 degree temps. I don't care if you do hogs HF or otherwise, it's always fun & nothing will keep a hog if they want out. Again, we hunt larger properties for Exotics.. Shiloh Ranch, Stonewall, Ok (sponsor on BS) is a great hog fun hunt. No Mercy is another in Ok. Rate the day lease on Texasbowhunter message board can give you lots of Day lease properties (lots of great Tx bowhunters will point you in the right direction). Check them for sure as there are a few rip off's out there. We never do Whitetails. I still bowhunt whitetails at home & use both ladder stand & Ground blind (set up long time b/4season) I just park a little closer & keep my cell phone with. Check in as soon as Im back to the vehicle & wife always knows which stands I will be in.. Common sense..

13-Feb-22
Hunt how ever you want, low/high/no fence. Depending on the circumstances all can be very safe. Don't worry in the least about whether others agree with the way you hunt. I’m 71 and still actively hunting. Hope you can get out and do the same.

13-Feb-22
No need to struggle at all…go hunt!!! Don’t worry what anyone else thinks, the only opinion that matters is that guy you see in the mirror. If you stop doing what you enjoy, life becomes unenjoyable. Have fun!

13-Feb-22
PM sent

13-Feb-22
You know your limitations more than anyone on here. If high fence or low fence or outfitted makes you feel more comfortable than do it. I did an elk hunt like that with my dad because of his elevation issues and we had a great time.

13-Feb-22
I enjoy hunting no matter the fence, high, low, or non-existent. I’ve hunted in a high fenced property so big that you never saw the fence unless you were entering or leaving. I’ve also hunted a property of less than 200 acres that was high fenced. Neither bothered me because I was mostly after meat. Axis don’t run wild in East Texas so us hillbillies have to pay to play iffen we want to eat axis.

13-Feb-22
Hunt the Ranch!

13-Feb-22
Go hunt and enjoy !!

13-Feb-22
I hunt a lot by myself also. Mostly private property. My wife doesn’t really like it either but she accepted it a long time ago. I text her when I get there, and when I get back to my truck to start home. The landowners know where my stands are, and I have phone service from all of them. If something should happen I could call or text for help, if not I’m sure eventually they would come looking for me. You could also maybe find a younger hunting partner to share time with, and ease some worries about being alone.

14-Feb-22
As long as it's legal, who cares what others think about where/how you hunt. Anytime you can get off the couch and into the woods is a great day.

You only go around once and when you get to the point where you can no longer get out physically or mentally, you can look back and smile at all your memories!

14-Feb-22
There's also been a number of new inventions in the last number of years for fall SOS type situations that are built around ease of use. Might look into those as well if it is all just for your wife or families ' peace of mind. But you ain't living your life for us. Don't worry about other peoples' opinions.

• Sitka Gear