midwest 20-Feb-22
TODDY 20-Feb-22
Willieboat 20-Feb-22
Beendare 20-Feb-22
Elk Assasin 21-Feb-22
18-Feb-22
I'm just curious as to your strategy......grin

18-Feb-22
Probably going to give it to his/ her grandkids so they can jump to the front of the line...

18-Feb-22
No but I have 26 UT points

Strategies welcome. Grin

18-Feb-22
Imagine not getting one.

18-Feb-22
Norse......San Juan archery. Fairly late dates this year as far as Utah goes. Ends on 9/18.

18-Feb-22
Yep. On top of my list. Maybe 5-10 years and an any weapon might happen.

18-Feb-22
Norseman you should be in the running for SJ Early Rifle this year. Your pool went 1 for 7 last year. Personally I'd go for the bow license and the longer season, but early rifle has the best rut dates by far. You're in a great position either way!

18-Feb-22
Norseman…..I was gonna suggest to get out while you’re still fairly young!

18-Feb-22
Norseman, hunted the San Juan for archery elk in 2010 after applying as a resident for 25 years here. Multiple changes to the point system and all and had one of the greatest hunts ever. Have a pages long post on MM in the hunt adventure challenge from back in 2010 called 'Lucky 25' that documents the whole thing if you ever want to check it out in more detail.

Here's the video of all the bulls I filmed during the actual archery season that year.

https://rumble.com/vl7uhy-bulls-of-the-san-juan-2010.html The bull I shot shows up at the 6:24 mark and his wallowing ends about 15 seconds before I shot him !!!

Have tons of other footage from helping others on their hunts down there if you ever get more interested :)

If you ever decide to go there for an archery hunt, I have all the waypoints for waterholes, camping and tons of places to find bulls. I've been down there with my youngest son a dozen times after that and know the mtn extremely well.

Let me know if you ever want to chat about that particular unit.

Cheers, Pete

18-Feb-22
Pete, I have read your posts, on your hunt dozens of times. Many a day dreaming. I appreciate the offer and plan on talking with you when I decide to pull the trigger. Thanks

19-Feb-22
Norse- pull the damn trigger!

19-Feb-22
See TJ, I'm not the only one!!! haha

Good luck, Robb

19-Feb-22
It's not me but it will be in nine years if I don't draw by then.........

19-Feb-22
Norse, good luck on drawing.

I feel like an idiot having 19 points in Nev for elk and only a 1.5% chance of drawing the tag. Are used to hunt deer there every year so I would buy the license and use it, now not so much.

The bad part is my odds are actually declining every year. My odds 10 years ago were high single digits now less than 1%…its getting worse every year due to the system.

19-Feb-22
Bruce, My apologies on hijacking your thread.

A lot of reasons for people holding to points for so long. I gave up on Colorado when I reached 14 points. I figured th e units I wanted were out if reached. I have been blessed in drawing some outstanding elk hunts, mainly in NM during the heyday of the 90’s and early 2000’s. AZ unit 9 was a blast as well.

I’m not in any hurry to us up my UT points. Right now my busy family life, and taking care of elderly parents is keeping me from “pulling the trigger”. I want to take a lot of time off for this one! Plus I only have 3 guys that have offered to go with. I will need to recruit 12 more to meet the UT minimum hunting party requirements. ;)

19-Feb-22
Standard rule should be we must commit as many days to the hunt as we have years accumulating points. :) I'm hoping my wife buys that line when I burn my CO points this year or next on 76 depending on the draw.

19-Feb-22
Yes Darrell!

20-Feb-22
I misquoted the Utah archery dates they are 8/20-9/16 not 9/18. Still a later year for Utah.

20-Feb-22
Thanks Walt!

20-Feb-22
"I will need to recruit 12 more to meet the UT minimum hunting party requirements." LOL!

Yep, and 1/2 of those dozen guys will need to be able to find and camp out on a monster bull for an entire month.

20-Feb-22
32 points. Imagine how many awesome AZ hunts they could have had over the last 32 years.

20-Feb-22
Midwest, maybe 2??? Lol!!

20-Feb-22
32 points and if they are a nonresident still not enough to guarantee the best unit !

20-Feb-22
“Plus I only have 3 guys that have offered to go with. I will need to recruit 12 more to meet the UT minimum hunting party requirements. ;)”

TJ, too funny. I’m sure you got your fill of big hunting parties in unit 9, I’ve never seen anything like it. AZ passed the cam law…….is the hunting party law right around the corner? Grin. Knowing AZ, I’m surprised they don’t have a “Friends and Family Accessory fee” they could make a fortune. Just like an ATV fee, have them put a sticker on their forehead. At least that way you know when you run in to the guy that actually has the tag.

Not a hijack, I posted to commiserate with the guy….and inform some of the young guys. We heard that “Apply, Apply” mantra for a lot of years and this is the result.

Now the mantra should be; Apply Smart young man.

21-Feb-22
The guy with 18 points is here, be 19 soon. I hear next year they will award me the much admired patch that says I CAN'T DECIDE SUBBORN OR STUPID. But Bernie Madoff had nothing compared to Arizona's ponzi scheme.

• Sitka Gear