Buskill 20-Feb-22
DonVathome 20-Feb-22
Jeff.Thomp 20-Feb-22
DonVathome 21-Feb-22
Pyrannah 21-Feb-22
Jeff.Thomp 22-Feb-22
JohnMC 22-Feb-22
20-Feb-22
Who? and Why? I planned to hunt Newfoundland but can't cross the boarder without the shot which I found out Im allergic to. So it looks as if Alaska is my best option. What outfit and why? Thanks!

20-Feb-22
You wanting an all out guided hunt or you wanting a transporter to put you in moose country and it all be a bit more DIY ?

20-Feb-22
Budget?

20-Feb-22
I don't have a budget set for this. Newfoundland was around $10k Id still love to do that hunt but can't there at the moment. Im not opposed to DIY, but Im not sure Id be with anyone and that seems to be a huge task to take on alone.

21-Feb-22
After 20 years research and 100 page word doc with notes, transporter reviews and draw unit research I gave up on what I consider a true DIY and hired a good transporter. I hunted alone, no guide, no one else and took a great moose. Yes I did it myself but I killed my moose because I paid $10,000 for a great transporter, hence why I do not consider my hunt true DIY. I would strongly recommend a ridgetop hunt with a top of the line, well researched transporter. I cannot reveal who I went with for a few more years - I promised someone not too until he goes in a few years. I can say good transporters are booked years out. Until you have hunted AK and researched for as long as I have it is difficult to comprehend the difficulty of planning a DIY moose hunt with realistic expectations of take a 55" plus moose. A $5k hunt with 30% success is, IMO, not worth it vs. a $10k hunt with 90% success. Guided hunts are over $20k last I checked years ago. Keep in mind trophy potential and success. It is not a deal if it takes you 2 or 3 trips to kill a moose. I have hunted over 15 different big game animals in the US and done all DIY. Gator to sheep to mnt goats to moose. NOTHING compares to the research and logistics AK requires. Nothing even comes close. I thought it was bad 10 years ago it is 2x as hard now.

21-Feb-22
who were u planning to go with in NF?

i just booked with them cause as mentioned, alaska is tough...

22-Feb-22
Thanks so much for the input. I have done a pile of research on transporters and got called in quick enough to be put on a wait list but I didn't get in. I guess the research will continue..

22-Feb-22
Find yourself a homeless guy give him a $100 to get vaxxed under your name.

• Sitka Gear