Contributors to this thread:
Ned mobile 21-Feb-22
walleyes 21-Feb-22
Bowfinatic 21-Feb-22
wildwilderness 22-Feb-22
Kurt 22-Feb-22
Treeline 22-Feb-22
21-Feb-22
There has been talk of QL caribou but what is the status of caribou in NWT?? I missed out when there were some great hunts taking place there. I have not heard of any news about the herds there as of recent.

21-Feb-22
There are some quality mountain caribou opportunities in the Mackenzie’s. Won’t see the quantity as migrating herd but mid sept on not uncommon to see 200+ plus a day while rutting. And pretty good bowhunting opportunities.

21-Feb-22
Numbers were decent in the NWT at Gana river last summer. Many bulls 350-400 range. Great stalkability for bow on these

22-Feb-22
Looks like the Mackenzies in the SW are mountain caribou, while the rest would be Central Canada Barren Ground. I have not looked at that area for bou, but know a few big ones have been killed out there

22-Feb-22
Mt caribou are open in the Mackenzies and are an excellent (pricey) hunt. Not sure that you can hunt CCBGC in the NWT anymore as most of the herds have been classified as a threatened species since late 2016? All the former hotspots like Mackay Lake are closed now. Wish I'd have gone up there with my buddies 20 some years ago....apparently was fabulous!

22-Feb-22

Treeline's embedded Photo
Mountain ‘bou
Treeline's embedded Photo
Mountain ‘bou
Like Kurt, I missed the boat on the NWT CCBG heyday…

Really sucks that I was invited on one of Glen St. Charles’s last big hunts at Mackay Lake and declined. I thought the good times would go on forever… Perhaps one of my greatest regrets as a bowhunter.

As for now, the mountain caribou are still in good shape in the Mackenzies. Go! Now!!

• Sitka Gear