Bou'bound 23-Feb-22
hdaman 23-Feb-22
Supernaut 23-Feb-22
elkmtngear 23-Feb-22
orionsbrother 23-Feb-22
t-roy 23-Feb-22
WV Mountaineer 23-Feb-22
22-Feb-22
So... I put this under Cougar ‘cause of my wife and I figure if she comes across it and notices that I put it under Hogs and Exotics, I wouldn’t be waiting for death.

I’m sitting here kinda feeling like I’m waiting at the base of the gallows. I made the mistake of yielding to the whim of internally bemoaning the current challenges and asking myself, “What the ‘F’ else can go wrong?”

Well... I got the answer.

My wife got a couple of puppies for herself and the kids about four and a half months ago. Mutts and lovable. Good dogs.

One of them just up and died today. The one my wife claimed for herself, but the kids claimed them both. I’m just Switzerland, if Switzerland walked dogs in the rain and snow.

Just a few hours ago, I got the hysterical phone call. I have buried the dog and tried to comfort her and now I sit. My wife wanted to have some time to cry in the other room.

Got some time before we get to get the kids from school and work and share the news.

They are going to be really broken hearted.

Gonna do my best to be my best for them, but there are just things that dad can’t fix.

Kinda dreading this. Hope your day’s going better.

T minus one hour and five minutes...

22-Feb-22
Rick, I'll say a prayer for you all. It's tough to lose a pet. Hope all goes as well as possible.

22-Feb-22
Damn, that is the worst part of being a pet owner.

22-Feb-22
Very sorry for your loss. No fun at all losing a pet and consoling family. Bet the remaining pup gets a lot of extra attention and licks a lot of tears away. Good luck.

22-Feb-22
Prayers sent for you and your family, Rick.

Matt

22-Feb-22
Thanks guys. It’s a bummer. He was only six months old and had some kind of aneurysm or heart attack or something.

Good pup. I’m not happy, but the wife is devastated. And this is going to be bad with the kids. Real bad.

I wish I could do some sort of sin eating and take their pain for them. All I can do is the best I can do to give them some comfort.

But this waiting sucks.

T minus 42 minutes.

22-Feb-22
That sucks, Rick. And you have the family heartache to deal with. Sorry for your loss.

22-Feb-22
Yeah. Listening to current tears, and imagining those to come soon... kind of makes me wish that I’d have slowed down digging in the muddy, semi-frozen, root rich ground, out in the rain at 34*

22-Feb-22
I lost a black lab about 4 years ago. Died in my arms. He was the best dog. My friend. My buddy. And at one time, a big healer in my life. Physically and mentally. A true gift from God. And no doubt, given to me in a time of need by God himself.

I got another. I had him for 4 months or so. Until my wife ran over him. You want to talk about hysterical. That’s an hysterical wife right there. So, I feel your pain.

I suspect the kiddos will miss the dog. I suspect seeing their momma so upset is going to draw more attention then the pup though.

I don’t know what to tell you about the loss of the dog or your grieving wife. Only to say once the kids are home, closure will occur.

God Bless brother. And, I ain’t forgot. Just been busy. I’m going through another of my hunting,, fishing, outdoor gear organization this weekend. Them kiddos better get ready. Im sending it. lol

22-Feb-22
That is tough, my best to you and your family.

22-Feb-22
What dogs give is worth the pain when they leave.

Unfortunately, kids don’t understand that is what makes life so valuable, is the time stamp on the bottom of all of our feet. Dogs included.

22-Feb-22
Feel your pain, for my wife and I our pet's are family... some just don't get the connection, but those who do share a comfort and love all its own. Rick, stay tuff for the wife and kids... very fragile emotions being processed, prayers bro. scentman

22-Feb-22
Oh Justin!!! My wife just heard me swear in the other room! I am sorry you went through that brother!

But thank you for tossing some perspective my way!!

We’ll get through it. Of course. It’ll just suck while it’s happening.

It’s the anticipation. T minus fifteen. Heading out for the pick up.

Send some prayers and good karma for the wife and kids.

Here we go!

22-Feb-22
Oh Justin!!! My wife just heard me swear in the other room! I am sorry you went through that brother!

But thank you for tossing some perspective my way!!

We’ll get through it. Of course. It’ll just suck while it’s happening.

It’s the anticipation. T minus fifteen. Heading out for the pick up.

Send some prayers and good karma for the wife and kids.

Here we go!

23-Feb-22
thoughts with you and that everyone was there for each other in a difficult time. Sometimes life sucks but it's always life.

23-Feb-22
How are you and the family doing today? Thoughts are with you.

23-Feb-22
Rick, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. It is never easy and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a lot of tears when I lose a four legged family member. Praying for comfort for you and your family.

23-Feb-22
Sorry for your loss, Rick...hope things get better soon.

23-Feb-22
Wife and kids are pretty broken up. Understandably. There’s more crap going on.

Everyone will get over it. Life moves on.

There are a whole lot of people who’ve had to deal with this sort of thing and a whole lot worse. I traded some PMs. I’ve got perspective.

I had sent a PM to a friend facetiously requesting that he swear repeatedly in his head for me. Later in the day yesterday, one of my sister in laws went into the emergency room with heart trouble.

The computer may not convey tone very well, but I posted this thread making fun of myself because after burying the dog, I was directed to sit in the other room while my wife had some time to cry by herself.

So, I was just sitting there, waiting, not wanting to make any noise or do any chores, asked to be available and not go outside. I was trying to do what my wife needed, but had nothing to do other than imagine what was coming.

Just sitting idly is difficult for me.

I was dreading what was coming for the kids.

I admit that I am a pussy when my wife and kids are all heartbroken and there’s nothing I can do.

I posted in the vein of, “I just found out that my proctologist has hands like Shaquille O’Neal!”

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts, prayers and well wishes. Please toss some in for my sister in law. She’s a great person and of much greater importance than a dog.

My desire was to try to humorously commiserate. If my random thoughts and crappy, rushed typing came across otherwise, I apologize.

Under the “silver lining” category, it could have been sooooo much worse. Our youngest was going to be home alone with the dogs for a few hours later this week.

Had this dog died then while the kid was home alone and it would’ve taken me an hour to get home...

That thought, and a few of the tragic dog stories that were shared with me perversely make me very grateful that this wasn’t worse.

It’s just one of those days that we all unfortunately have.

23-Feb-22
Just be thankful that you could be Switzerland and not Ukraine, Rick! I could sense a touch of levity in your initial post.

Thoughts and prayers sent your way, for your entire family, as well as your sis-in-law.

23-Feb-22
One thing I know about Rick is hid willingness to give it to himself. A witty sense of humor is a great attribute among friends.

• Sitka Gear