RD in WI 27-Feb-22
RD in WI 27-Feb-22
scentman 27-Feb-22
Genesis 27-Feb-22
Genesis 27-Feb-22
Bigwoods 28-Feb-22
Dino 28-Feb-22
26-Feb-22
I am looking to buy both of my teenage sons (16 and 17) releases. They are both new to archery and got bows for Christmas. I'm thinking they should start with index finger releases. They certainly don't need top of the line, but I want to get them something that is very solid. Any suggestions here on specific models?

Thank You!

26-Feb-22
See if you can pick up a couple USED Stan Elements - tension releases. They will teach your sons how a real shot is supposed to feel with a totally "surprise " release. You may pay a little for them, but your sons will be much better off in the long run as you can learn too many bad habits with an index finger releases. There are other brands out there also like Carter, Dudley's Nock 2it or Dudley's "Back Strap" which is an index finfer operated back tension release. Do some research but I wish I had known about them when I first started release shooting and I wouldn't have to have deal with the dreaded "Target Panic"!! Once they learn how to shoot, they can then go to the release style they prefer but the tension releases will definitely teach you how to shoot releases properly,

27-Feb-22
If you want to teach proper form and shot execution with an index finger release, you'll want to spend the money on one that can be adjusted to zero travel and a stiff enough tension they can wrap their finger around the trigger with a good amount of pressure and try to pull their hand through the release strap until it fires. Personally, I would spend more on a good release and less on the bow if I was on a budget.

I agree with X-Master that a tension release would be the ideal way to teach a new archer proper shot execution.

BTW, the hand held tension release of Dudley's is the Silverback. The Nock2it is a thumb button.

Best of luck, Bigwoods, and thanks for passing it on!

27-Feb-22
Agree 100% with midwest. Any style release can be shot incorrectly, but if you go with an index finger release, get one that has ZERO trigger travel, such as a Carter Quickie or Rx1. As Nick says, firing the release by pulling through the shot rather than squeezing the trigger will help keep “punching the trigger “ out of the equation.

27-Feb-22
OOOPPPS! I stand corrected. Thanks Midwest, I couldn't think of the name of the "Silverback" right off hand, but you get the idea anyhow. I would also suggest that if you do go the index finger route, set them up so that they trigger the release with the "second knuckle" and not the tip of the index finger and as we all stated "pull through" the release and don't trigger it like shooting a rifle.

27-Feb-22
A release to me is kinda like a baseball glove or a pair of shoes. Something that fits and is comfortable. I would take your kids to a bow shop and let them try some releases and let them find what is workable and comfortable to them.

27-Feb-22
Carter Two Shot

27-Feb-22
Carter Two Shot

27-Feb-22
For me those forefinger trigger release with a wrist lanyard products were not comfortable, but the T handle type with a thumb trigger sent that arrow fly staight... for me anyway.

27-Feb-22
Shooting Carter Quickie for eons and always cut the little bungee off when I first get them and prefer to manually reset hook and not depend on something that can fail

27-Feb-22

28-Feb-22
Bump

28-Feb-22
I’d spend the extra money and buy tension releases. Carter evolution is a fine choice and will help teach proper form and technique.

• Sitka Gear