Lewis 02-Mar-22
01-Mar-22

JHP's embedded Photo
few big ones
JHP's embedded Photo
few big ones
JHP's embedded Photo
JHP's embedded Photo
Had a good trip to Florida. Biggest was 25 pounds. Had several over 20. Anyone else eat gar besides me?

01-Mar-22

JHP's embedded Photo
JHP's embedded Photo

01-Mar-22
Gar balls or fried ? Nice haul of needle nose !

01-Mar-22
We take the strip of meat down the back. Bread and deep fry

01-Mar-22
Never had it but I heard it wasn't bad.

01-Mar-22
Never ate it, but have shot a few in Florida.

Where were bowfishing? Looks like you were wout during the day. Only time I shot fish in Fl was a night. I was told day time is tough as water isn't usually to clear. Sure doesn't look like that wad the case with you.

01-Mar-22
Who did you go with? Guide? Looks fun!

01-Mar-22
Nick

When I have gone I went with Florida bowfishing. What's fun with him is you shoot fresh/salt so you can go from shooting gar to drum, to stingray.

01-Mar-22
Shot a bunch that size.......lots of fun.

And I've cut'em out of their armor, sliced the backstraps out, chunked 'em, battered and fried 'em...........still, talapia is better.

01-Mar-22
Talapia.....

When I was stationed in PR, I was in a bass club that fished in the mountain lakes. The lake I fished alot was loaded with these talapia. You could walk on them sometimes. Some mountain folks used them for fertilizer. Seen a lot of floaters when the water got hot. No thanks.....

01-Mar-22
We were in Lake Harris near Attatula. The Gar were spawning is why we did so well in the day. Night was pretty good too with more shots but they were deeper and harder to hit consistently. Broke 2 arrows on the big ones. They are rough on equipment.

01-Mar-22
Did you use a guide?

01-Mar-22
JHP,

That makes sense with the spawn then.

Yea those bigger ones sure put up a fight. My best ever that I landed near crystal river was 52 inches.

Good work on those fish. I will have to try eating them one of these days when i go down there.

01-Mar-22
Did not use a guide. Talked to some of the locals. Huge help. Folks who have been on the lake for 20 years plus. Luck also played a part as it always does. :)

01-Mar-22
The biggest ones are females. Much more vulnerable during spawn.

01-Mar-22
Use Tin snips to go down the middle of the back. Skin the skin and scales away from the "back Straps".

01-Mar-22
Nice!!!

02-Mar-22
Kinda interesting the Indians back in the day preferred gar to snook reason being is that they ate the fish with the skin on and the skin on a snook tastes like soap they actually called it a soap fish.Looks like a fun trip we did that back in the 60s in South Florida.Good luck Lewis

• Sitka Gear