Carbon Defiant 34 14-Apr-22
Inshart 15-Apr-22
yooper89 15-Apr-22
Carolina Counsel 19-Jul-22
wildwilderness 22-Jul-22
Carolina Counsel 22-Jul-22
JL 22-Jul-22
04-Mar-22
I’ve seen a few older threads on forums but wondering if anybody has used Renfro for drop camps in recent years. How was the hunt and experience overall? Cousin and I are looking to do a moose hunt and saw the have an option where they provide camp setup. Obviously Renfro’s associates speak very highly of themselves so hoping to get some firsthand experience here.

Thanks!

04-Mar-22
I went with them last year and it appeared that the percentage of kills was very high, the short amount of time I was in the hanger I saw quite a few bulls, lots of bulls in the 40's and quite a few that were big. I did not use my bow but considering I killed the first day and my friend killed the 2nd day I think it is very doable to arrow one in Renfro's areas. We used our own gear so I can't speak about what they provide, I need to have complete control over my gear and food.

04-Mar-22

mrelite's Link
We didn't have much time to play around but this is a video of a little bull we called into about 10 yds.

04-Mar-22
As a flatlander from WI and moose very high on my bucket list, that bull looks like a shooter in my eyes!! I can judge whitetail with the best of them but I have no idea when it comes to moose. That is a little one??

04-Mar-22
What year and what’s your budget? My partner had to cancel this year. Believe me the homework is done! If you’re interested in the hunt let me know.

04-Mar-22
The Renfro experience... never booked a hunt with them but met the old man some yrs ago... he gave me a tour of his personal trophy room, it was a great experience!

04-Mar-22
Big bulls are noticeably bigger than that one, if you can tell that a bull is definitely under 50 inch then it's on the small side, if you can definitely tell a bull is over 50 then it 's a big one, the reality is that size only matters if it matters, in my book how a kill goes down is a big factor on whether I am shooting or not. The good thing on my hunt was that the first calling sequence for me as the shooter called in a bull that there was no way I could pass up, the bad part was that my hunt was over.

04-Mar-22

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
Here are a few pics to help you pull the trigger on a hunt. I don't know what hunt Mule Power is planning but if you can get in on a hunt without waiting for 3 years then that might be a good thing to jump on, if I thought my wife would let me go 2 years in a row I would be talking to Mule power.

04-Mar-22
MrElite thank you for the write up!

Mule- I pm’d you.

14-Apr-22
For an Alaskan Moose please give judging ideas for a 50" vs a 60". What would qualify as a P & Y qualifier.

14-Apr-22
Great area. A lot of moose. But most are not patient and shoot smaller bulls. Which I think the state is good with since it’s over capacity. We used Wades gear and it was fine. No issues. I’ve heard Papa Bears equipment and planes are newer. They both hunt the same area.

14-Apr-22
You’ll fly northeast from bethel. And hunt between the Kuskokwim And Yukon rivers. Most of the lakes are too shallow for fish.

15-Apr-22
Although I know I will never be able to afford it, on my bucket list for sure. Yooper, did you get set up with Mule?

15-Apr-22
Did not. Have a few things going this September, and with my work schedule and family, I need more than a few months to plan. No matter how “cheap” a hunt. Definitely appreciated the offer though.

19-Jul-22
I realize that this is a delayed thread resurrection, but is Renfro's a drop camp hunt versus a float option? I can't seem to find that answer on the website. We are in the early stages of planning and trying to decide between the two style hunts. I'm inclined toward a float trip, but would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the two options. Thanks.

22-Jul-22
Drop camp. Usually on a lake

22-Jul-22
Thanks WW

22-Jul-22
Looking at their website, it seems the things that take place before and after the hunt will need to be pre-planned and added expense that need to be factored in to the total package. I'm speculating what it costs these current days to get the meat/cape/antlers home will be a large percentage of the total hunt?? For the 2 person minimum, figure $17K for the DIY - BYOG option, plus tags, travel, etc. then getting 2 moose back from Bethel to Anchorage to home.....that will add up. Any estimations on the two person cost?

• Sitka Gear