hoytshooter1 10-Mar-22
bowhunt 10-Mar-22
Jaybee 10-Mar-22
Pete-pec 10-Mar-22
Beendare 10-Mar-22
spike78 10-Mar-22
Charlie Rehor 10-Mar-22
07-Mar-22
I have shot many different broadheads over the years. With that said and without mentioning any names, some just aren't made as sharp as they once were. Looking for feedback and opinions on which fixed broadheads you all think are the sharpest. Thank you in advance.

07-Mar-22
For me it's the one I just got done sharpening.

07-Mar-22
WW x2

07-Mar-22
back in the day nothing was sharper than a Thunderhead. Don't know if they are still as sharp.

07-Mar-22
I agree Starfire. That was my experience also. But I stopped shooting them when I went back to shooting a stickbow many years ago because I wanted a cut on contact broadhead. The Thunderhead NEVER let me down.

07-Mar-22
WW - Same here. Zwickey and Wensel Woodsman's for me.

07-Mar-22
Those are both great heads. I still have some Razorcaps which I use. They're no longer made, so when they are gone it'll be the Wensels for me.

07-Mar-22

LINK's Link
David you might like these.

07-Mar-22
The ones just off the sharpening wheel are the absolute sharpest. Add a little chapstick to the edges of the carbon ones and good to go!

Have no idea on the pre-sharpened ones. Been at least 25 years since I used one.

07-Mar-22

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

07-Mar-22
I’ve not tried every broad head on the market. But I’ve found Iron Will to be extremely sharp and sharpenable.

07-Mar-22
A friend gave me an Exodus to try this year in Kansas and I was blown away with how scary sharp they were...………….shot 3 deer with that one broadhead (touch ups between kills.)

07-Mar-22
The original German Kinetics Silver Flame are the sharpest broadheads I’ve ever handled, shot, etc.

07-Mar-22
Hell Razor were the sharpest I've ever tried out of the package. I use VPA now, they are solid but need a touch up out of package. The Woodsmen's I got were terrible.

07-Mar-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Brand X Broadhead. Lol
Zim's embedded Photo
Brand X Broadhead. Lol
I have had bad luck finding Thunderheads last few years and had to use Brand X last year. But grabbed a handful of packs last week while at Bass Pro. Don’t need any more pass thrus like this one!

07-Mar-22
QAD Exodus. Can't get them out of the package without potentially bleeding to death!!

07-Mar-22
Link x2! Musacchia is my go to head now after having some fit issues like some others had with slick tricks.

07-Mar-22

Grunt-N-Gobble's embedded Photo
Grunt-N-Gobble's embedded Photo
QAD Exodus is pretty damn sharp. Won't get into details but one sent me to the ER in Oct. 2020.

NAP Killzone blades are sharp as well.

07-Mar-22
Kike and I are working on a new design… We are gonna call it the Glory Hole… Guaranteed Penetration!!!

Until they drop in 2026 Thunderhead blades were always surgical sharp

07-Mar-22
Wasp

07-Mar-22
Never played with them, but people I trust have said Iron Will are sharpest:

07-Mar-22
I love my Razor Caps. First time I saw them Gene Wenzel had them in his hands,, and told me his friend Phil came up with the idea. As soon as I could, I bought 3 packages of them,,,,, I even got a t shirt,,,,,,,,, as far as a head, the best I ever shot, bar none,

My friend was a machinist, took them to his shop, and got them so sharp it was scary. from exotics, to elk and bear and deer, opened up a hole, you could put a canoe thru,,,, better than any woodsman I can attest to that,,,,,

Sharpest replaceable heads I ever used was WASP SST Boss, and G5 Strikers,,,,, I received Iron Will as a gift. Very well built head, but not what I consider sharp. Yet in the right hands,, can be scary sharp.... Yet, do not compare to my Razor Caps

07-Mar-22
Muzzys

07-Mar-22
Depends on who is doing the sharpening ;^)

07-Mar-22
The QAD Exodus seems pretty sharp out of the package - maybe I need to buy one of those sharpness testers.

07-Mar-22
Makes no difference to me. I shoot all my heads before hunting with them so the factory edge doesn't mean much. Few stokes with a file and then on to the diamond stone. I know its not for everyone, but putting an edge on is a great skill every hunter should consider learning.

07-Mar-22
Out of the package QAD Exodus.

After hitting or going through an animal Iron Will.

07-Mar-22
Agree with Glunt. I shoot all my BHs and resharpen. I use a Lansky sharpener.

07-Mar-22
Some metal polishing compound on a cereal box is good for stropping. That can make a real difference on any blade. The more expensive ones just hold the edge longer.

07-Mar-22
I haven't tried them all but of the ones I've tried I'd say G5 Strikers and Wasp Boss.

08-Mar-22
I'm a bit puzzled here. If it's a FIXED blade head, why would you care how sharp it is out of the box? You WILL have to sharpen it yourself, unless you throw them away after using them or they get a tad dull when in your arrow box/quiver. My biggest concern would be that the head is well made/sturdy and performs well when shot from my bow.

Oh...and ISN'T made in China!!!

08-Mar-22
WW - you actually don't HAVE to sharpen all fixed heads. Some do come ready to hunt. Many of those have replaceable blades, making sharpening not necessary for many people. ex) QAD Exodus. Scary sharp, extremely durable, replaceable blades.

08-Mar-22
I always shot Thunderheads but have noticed the last pack I bought the blades weren't nearly as sharp and they produced erratic flight. I'm thinking they are manufactured overseas now.

08-Mar-22
If it's a fixed blade head, then how do you change the blades? Thunderheads, et.al are REPLACEABLE blade heads, right? Or am I missing something?

08-Mar-22
Iron Wills

08-Mar-22
Replaceable blades should be scalpel sharp out of the package. Solid fixed blade heads should be also, but typically need a touch up. Another head I just thought of that is very sharp out of the package is the Steelforce Hellfire.

08-Mar-22
Woods walker I think to most people “fixed” = not mechanical . That’s why I offered mussachia. In flight and at impact they are “fixed”. But I resharpen my replaceable blades.

08-Mar-22
I consider replaceable blade heads to be fixed blade heads because their blades are "fixed" in the configuration to do 100% of the intended cutting. As opposed to mechanical heads which are not and have to pivot or move mechanically to reach the configuration to do 100% of the intended cutting.

There are basically two categories of broadheads, mechanical and fixed blade. Some fixed blade broadheads have replaceable blades.

08-Mar-22
The real question is which broadhead stays sharp all the way through the vitals.

08-Mar-22
I don't want nor try to get my WW razor sharp, I want them sharp enough. A razor sharp scalpel cut will heal up quick and leave less of a blood trail. A cut from my WW wil cut and rip leaving a wicked wound that won't be so quick to heal, and blood trails are huge.

08-Mar-22
Fixed blade heads are fixed positionally. As in the don't move. Many have replaceable blades. (Thunderheads, Muzzy, Innerloc, QAD, etc etc)

08-Mar-22
All depends on who is sharpening them and how good they are at it.

08-Mar-22
Well, I stand corrected on the terminology. I guess the correct term for what I thought it was is "one piece"? Or "solid"?

08-Mar-22
Magnus snuffers for me this time of life. Sharp as hell. Tough built right.

08-Mar-22
I've shot & loved Zwickeys for decades. Sharpening's just part of the process ;^)

08-Mar-22
There's no woodsmanship skills needed to tie your boots either...

09-Mar-22
Exodus are pretty sharp and as mentioned earlier very dangerous getting them out of the package. I really hope they don't get bought out like many other brands, I may stock up just incase

09-Mar-22
Exodus, Iron Will, Tooth of the Arrow, Exodus, and Slick Trick have all been very sharp . And yes Exodus is damn scary trying to get them out of the box lol.

09-Mar-22
carcus, I've come up with a sure fire way of sharpening QADs after a pass through buries them in the ground or target shooting makes them dull. I've built a jig with two arkansas stones that allows me to sharpen the heads while on the arrow. I use a short piece of arrow mounted into a file handle to hold them. It brings them back as good or better than out of the package which, as you know is very sharp. I sharpie each edge, oil the stones, and a few passes later, after the sharpie shows a full edge, I'm done. Won't save the really rock battered blades but has cut down the need to purchase new blades dramatically.

09-Mar-22
Mike that was funny........... One more head I have to give a shout out too, is the Ram Cats. I think their offset, blades, and being quiver specific, is maybe why they are not so much talked about..... I first used them, to get distance, on the plains. They fly like a dime, and kill everything I shot them at. Still have several, to use up, but its a good head. Replaceable blade type......

09-Mar-22
woodsmanship skills and workmanship skills are two different things

09-Mar-22
VPA HANDS DOWN!!!

09-Mar-22
Gut pile as a guy who owns and shoots VPA 3 blade I have to disagree on the 3 blade anyway.. Don’t know anything about their two blade. As for me personally sharpening a head compared to other heads. With a landlubbers sharpener I would get the older Bear razor heads scary hair popping sharp.

09-Mar-22
VPA? Hell no, out of the box they barely cut paper.

09-Mar-22
I'm more concerned about which fixed blades fly best than which are sharpest out of the box. You can always make them sharper, but you can't make them fly better if the machining is sub-par. I hate to say it, but a lot of the old reliable brands are now owned by conglomerates that maximize profit by using cheaper materials and overseas labor. Some of the brands mentioned here I wouldn't hesitate to use on a 200" buck ten years ago - now I wouldn't use them on a squirrel.

09-Mar-22
I’ve had good luck with stingers.

09-Mar-22
Used to use muzzy. But when they sold out, I switched to rage for a couple years. Did the job but switched back to a 4 blade grim reaper pro hades. Ended up calling the company and they said there blades were made of 440 stainless. They seem to hold a edge better than others. Have shot 4 deer with them and I really like them. Shoot great and hold an edge. Made in America. Hope they don’t get bought out

10-Mar-22
Day six, g5 strikers (weirdly), wasp, Magnus stinger.

I've heard good things about iron will also from good sources

10-Mar-22
Grim Reaper fixed heads are stupid sharp out of the box...in my experience

10-Mar-22
As of a few years ago slick tricks we’re super sharp out of the package. I bought a bunch of viper tricks in 2019. I usually can just touch up the blades after shooting animals, so Haven’t had to buy any more since then.

Not sure on current sharpness or quality

10-Mar-22
Grizzlystik single bevel heads are dangerously sharp. Way sharper than any Rage, Thunderhead and Muzzys that I used to shoot.

10-Mar-22
Which uses the best steel? Which keeps its edge the longest? Which flies the best? Which has the strongest steel and ferrule? This is what I look for. I sharpen everything. I test them all. Out of the box, most will kill a deer however, including a 4 dollar Allen, so the variables I must take into consideration are performance (in flight, sharpness throughout the season in and out of your quiver, and when it makes contact with bone). There's so many that work and I often try new broadheads, but believe it or not, Muzzy MX3 made "the cut" last season, and zero complaints. Again, there's likely 20 that perform as well or better, that I'd either shoot or have shot without hesitation as long as it shot well from my bow.

10-Mar-22
"The real question is which broadhead stays sharp all the way through the vitals."

^ Bingo Beachtree!

I like the tapered 2 blades as I can get them razor sharp with little effort....and I can reuse them multiple times. So the head I'm using now at $6 each....but wait, cost of use when I've killed as many as 3 animals with the same head is $2 per use.

IME, A $35 head doesn't work any better....I suppose it makes guys feel better paying 6x more, not sure.

10-Mar-22
Iron Will stayed sharp even after hitting the ground.

10-Mar-22
IronWill’s are very sharp when they arrive and very sharp after 10 shots in a target or game. When you do touch them up they are easy to re-sharpen. Arrow Flight is very accurate. Brilliantly engineered. Bill has created a top tier head.

• Sitka Gear