Shrewski 13-Mar-22
Habitat 14-Mar-22
MQQSE 14-Mar-22
sticksender 14-Mar-22
10-Mar-22

Bill in MI's Link
Glad I got out of the game in WY

10-Mar-22
So glad when they went to 50 and 100 cost of PP I backed out.

10-Mar-22
So next year at this time will they just publish the same article except change the pictures and text to elk/deer/antelope?

10-Mar-22
Wow. Glad I got to hunt WY the handful of times I did. If you don't already live in the state you like to hunt, you might want to move.

10-Mar-22
"First off, the amount of preference points required to draw a sheep or moose tag in Wyoming will more than double under the new system. For instance, Area-2, a very popular sheep area in Wyoming, currently has a tag quota of 20 sheep tags. Last year this tag took 22 preference points to draw for a nonresident hunter with one of the five nonresident tags being allocated in the random draw for one lucky applicant with less than 22 points. Under the new system, instead of five nonresident tags available for this hunt there will be only two nonresident tags available. There will be no tags available for the random draw and as a result, under the current demand the number of preference points required to draw a nonresident sheep tag in Area-2 will now be 53 preference points and counting! Yes, you read that correctly this “middle of the road” sheep hunt will now take more than 50 preference points to draw!"

Am I crazy? Or is this the dumbest thing I've ever read? The system hasn't even been in place for 30 years. Jesus Christ doesn't even have 30 points.

10-Mar-22
"With around 11,000-point holders in the system for both moose and sheep and a newly reduced nonresident tag allocation of 18 sheep tags, down from 44 tags and 36 moose tags from 72 tags, there will not ever be enough resources to fulfill the demand."

This is up there with the dumbest things I've ever read: If 18 and 36 makes it insolvent, 44 and 72 wasn't? LOL!

I have some serious questions about the understanding of the writer of that article.

10-Mar-22
"A 20 -25% nonresident allocation is well beyond what most neighboring and comparative states allocate. That is a fact. Colorado is the next most generous with a maximum of 10% while most other states are 3-5% maximum for nonresident sheep and moose tag allocations."

Boy, this guy is on a roll. Most states are 10%. CA, ID, MT, AZ,...who am I missing?

10-Mar-22
Let's just face it, the state of Wyoming is not interested in non-res hunters. Between this BS law and the corner crossing BS, why does anyone want to step foot in Wyoming. I have made a number of trips to Wyoming for elk, deer and antelope and spent thousands of dollars over the years. My home state of WI welcomes out of state sportsmen and women with open arms. We have over the counter tags for deer, you can come and use of our public boat landings, state and county lands. You can buy hunting and fishing licenses and go use them the same day. I just can't get my mind around the thought process in Wyoming. I have been putting in for pref points in Wyoming for years, but maybe I need to rethink my use of my money and time.

10-Mar-22
I’ve heard it being kicked around that preference points would be changed to bonus points. Also heard rumors that some were talking about changing deer, elk and lope to 90/5/5, with the last 5 being outfitter tags.

Lots of rumors out there. Can’t believe I’ve wasted 22 years on sheep points just to get kicked in the nuts. Sign me up for the class action lawsuit.

10-Mar-22
Here in a couple years it might be 12 points for a general elk tag.

10-Mar-22
The truly crazy part is, this might not even reduce NR apps. I remember hearing a theory that raising NR point fees and adding convenience fees a few years back would cause NR's to drop out in droves, but it did not. I know this is a bit different, but many will say "hey so your saying there's still a chance?" and keep right on applying. Pretty sure all the app services will continue to recommend applying. And if they're able to change the preference system to bonus points or bonus squared, they won't even have to give up that big ol' cash cow of NR points sales.

10-Mar-22
Well I'll just head to Wisconsin for my next elk, antelope, or mule deer hunt lol.

Why should Wyoming give out a higher percentage of its big three tags than any other western state? If I was a Wyoming resident I would be thrilled with the change. As someone who's only been in the point game 7 years I never started sheep or moose in Wyoming as even someone with my limited math skills could see it was a fool's errand. Am I worried we will see this change to elk, deer, and antelope soon damn right. Oh well the only thing that's certain is change. I know I'll still be looking to hunt Wyoming as often as possible because it's been hands down the highest quality hunting I've seen out of any of the western states (not that I've hunted them all).

10-Mar-22
Just happen to read in Bugle mag, they looked at a few counties and what non- resident hunters contributed to the local economy:

All these are from 2017 data: Jackson County, WY: took in $8.5 million in revenue, 70% from elk hunters. Teton County, WY: Average non-resident spent $1,382. (They didn't say how many big game hunters there were, so there was no final dollar amount.) Rough estimate would be close to about $9 million in revenue for Teton co.,,, $17.5 million in revenue for just two counties.

Colorado: .... El Paso County: $61 million in revenue and $3 million to state and local taxes:::::: Routt County: $13.2 million in revenue and $1.1 million in state & local taxes..... Gunnison County: $8.4 million in revenue and $825,000 in state & local taxes.... Moffatt County: 11.9 million in revenue $807,000 in local & state taxes

So for just these few Colorado counties (I'm assuming they were the top money producers),, That's $94.5 million dollars revenue in just one year, from the non-residents (2017 - and we all know the prices have taken a substantial increase since 2017). AND a little over $5.7 million in state and local taxes.

So, just keep dumping on the non-residents. I do have to wonder why the local business's don't say something - at some point they will be the losers in all this as well.

10-Mar-22
A game and fish departments job isn't propping up the local economy. It's to hold the wildlife in trust for the residents of the state. Colorado cpw should look to Wyoming on how to manage wildlife not vice versa.

10-Mar-22
For me the biggest issue I have with it is the “bait and switch”. Take the $ and change the rules.

10-Mar-22
Time to get an apartment in Wyoming and work there for a year.

10-Mar-22
MQQSE,

You bring up a very good point. Why not grandfather people in?

10-Mar-22
Well one thing you gotta give them credit for, there were plenty of warnings for years this was coming. Burned my moose points 6 or 7 years ago, and same as bghunter for me bailed on sheep when $50 jumped to $100. Good choice. Every other state I apply in except Iowa & New Hampshire were guilty of baiting & switching, but none of them gave any advance warning.

I'm on a mission to burn vulnerable points, in hopes of avoiding this. 25 Elk points going in Colorado this year. Then Wyoming elk in 2023. Colorado deer 2024 will take care of three of my biggest. Hope I beat them to the punch. Pretty pathetic a guy has to make point cheapening his number one variable when forming both short & long term application strategies, but that is my reality.

10-Mar-22
Bastards!

10-Mar-22
I grew up hunting NM and would love to go back (in UT now). However, I have not applied for elk there in years. The odds are so lousy I just can't justify loaning them $800 for a few months. This kind of stuff will drive out some of us that don't like to gamble. The determined applicants will get a rare hunt after decades worth of cash. To each his own.

10-Mar-22
Every night before bed I pray for good health for my family, that Colorado will wake up and treat resident hunters the same way other western states do, and will prohibit nonresidents from hunting wilderness areas. So far only the first part of that prayer is being answered.

11-Mar-22
Flawed math. No one has 53 points .

Number of points to draw will not immediately double because tags have been cut in half.

Clearly it will accelerate point creep to much higher levels and could well reach those numbers in years to come until then max points are not that high. Tags are not drawn with phantom points.

And yet there will be a new crop of virgin applicants getting into the Wy point game. Which is truly baffling, they must be trying for phantom tags as they grab their ankles and press apply key with their nose.

11-Mar-22
Thanks for the link, Bill.

I will share it with others as most of us quit Eastman's years ago.

True that Iddy, same as with most of their Odd's lists...........

Good luck, Robb

11-Mar-22
Burned my WY moose points in 2013. Dropped sheep points when they increased from $7/point. Would have had 21 points going into last year's draw...so there would have been a chance. MAYBE another chance this year...since they waited until after the application deadline to verify what many already knew was coming. If I were holding 23 sheep points after this year's draw...I'd be big time depressed!

Crap like this happens somewhere...almost every year. This one probably the worst change for non-residents since New Mexico (but no points involved there). In recent years, we've seen NR odds (and in some cases resident odds too) reduced in several western states....CO, AZ, NM, MT and now WY. Guess we shouldn't really be surprised? Like Zim, ...I'm pretty much in "cash out" mode too. Grateful for all the tags I've drawn and hopefully a few yet to come. Time will tell....

11-Mar-22

Ramhunter's embedded Photo
Ramhunter's embedded Photo
Thanks for the memories Wyoming…

11-Mar-22
"Colorado: .... El Paso County: $61 million in revenue and $3 million to state and local taxes::"

I'm not buying these figures, and it makes me question the validity of the rest of the Bugle article. El Paso isn't exactly a destination county for NR hunters, or any hunters for that matter. Colorado Springs may benefit from NR hunters buying supplies as they pass thru, but it's not where most are hunting.

Regardless, as PushCoArcher mentioned, the goal of the CPW should be to manage state resources (wildlife) for its residents, not prop up local economies by catering to NRs.

Lou, I say a similar prayer every night.

Matt

11-Mar-22
In case the impact of this change is not totally clear.....under the current way the draw is done, there'd now need to be at least 40 total licenses for a hunt code, before a random license could be issued to NR's. Based on 2022 quotas, that means ZERO random sheep licenses, and ONE random Moose license statewide, issued to NR. Without a complete re-write of the draw rules, there'd be no reason for most people to continue buying points or applying for the affected species as a NR. Except for those in the top few tiers of point holders (say 22+). The other 11000+ NR guys with less points would be wasting $165.00 per app on each species. For that reason, they'll pretty much have to change the draw rules and/or the function of points. There's almost 4 million dollars a year in NR revenue at risk of vaporizing.

11-Mar-22
Good for WY! They don't owe us a damn thing as NR hunters. It's a privilege that states allow us to pursue the game they hold in public trust for their residents. If you want to hunt a state that badly then move there. I love opportunity as much as the next guy, but I also understand how hard it is to scratch out a living in some of these western states, a few more tags for those that do isn't a lot to ask. I appreciate the opportunities that are provided, and I'll applaud efforts made by state organizations to support the residents of their respective states. The first people to complain are always those that want to live where life, jobs, money, entertainment, etc are easy to come by and yet have their cake and eat it too by going hunting where the hunting is good. Good for states like WY taking care of their own.

11-Mar-22
Excellent comment Brotsky! I was just getting ready to post the comment "how many of Wyoming's tags do you guys believe we owe you"? To me 20% and 25% to NR is insane.

11-Mar-22
It's not so bad when the state tells you what the odds are like in NM but to change the rules after collecting money for 20 + years bites big time.It seems like most states cave to the NR screaming such as Kansas did when George from USO outfitters decided to come to Kansas and threaten us and then went back to his home state of NM and threatened them. It's all about the almighty dollar and has nothing to do with game management.

11-Mar-22
My biggest complaint is that they keep moving the goalposts on NR, right before halftime, then again right before the game-winning kick. I’m glad I drew my moose tag last year with 20 points, and bailed on my 18 sheep points when I did. I feel especially bad for the guys invested with 20-25 points. They’re caught somewhere in no-man’s-land.

11-Mar-22
"It's all about the almighty dollar and has nothing to do with game management."

This isn't about money at all. It will cost the state a boat load to make this change. It's also no about game management. It's a social issue, period. They are creating more opportunities for Wyoming residents to draw tags. If you live, work, raise your family, and pay taxes in Wyoming then this is a great move by the state for you. If you are a NR that is looking to benefit from another state's natural resources then it's not a good deal for you. That's the whole thing in a nut shell, it's nothing other than that.

11-Mar-22
Brotsky and Steve,

Let me guess…..you guys don’t have 20-22 sheep or moose points do you?

FML I’m at 22 for each. Shame on WY!

11-Mar-22
Brotsky x2 ^^^^^

11-Mar-22
Quinn, I don't have sheep or moose points in WY, but I get why people in that position would be mad. Unfortunately there's not a great answer for guys in your shoes, only tough decisions. I piss away a lot of money on apps where I never see a tag each year, so I get the frustration.

11-Mar-22
Was there ever any guarantee, written or implied, that Wyoming's non-resident tag allocation system would never change? Don't get me wrong. If I was sitting on max points I'd be pissed. A bunch of people have been pissed for a long time because they were born to late to get in on the ground floor!

And someone at Eastman's needs to take some more math classes!!!

11-Mar-22
Quinn: no but I do pay taxes to Wyoming and one of its Counties.

11-Mar-22
Now I’m hypocritical because I wish CO would do the same thing:)

CO will never give up the NR welfare though. They’ve gotten so used to that money that they probably wouldn’t be able to operate without it.

11-Mar-22
I don’t have a dog in this fight, as all I’ve ever hunted in Wyoming is pronghorn. I enjoyed the hell out of that but mountain goats and sheep were never something I cared about hunting. Still, I have to say I feel like Brotsky. I guess the main reason is that my state has always been easier and less expensive for a non-res to hunt or fish in than any of our neighboring states. I always thought we should be a little tougher on the non-res outdoorsmen.

Exception for hogs, y’all come down here and kill all of those bastards that you can. Bring claymore, dynamite, whatever…….

11-Mar-22
Quin you could hunted both by now, should have taken that opportunity it looks like.

11-Mar-22
Wytex,

You're right.

I just looked and I only have 20 points for each so I'm even more screwed. Not sure why I was thinking I had 22 points?

I did check on WY residency requirements and with possibly retirement coming before I can draw that may be the answer.

11-Mar-22
I would be curious to see if some of the application services will try to take some sort of legal action. They stand to lose a good bit of money for people that decide to give up applying.

11-Mar-22
I'm with Brots also...Wyoming has been pretty generous for a long time...Things change, roll with it!

Let's go Brandon!!!

11-Mar-22
I’m moving. That’s for damn sure.

11-Mar-22
It might cost the state wildlife but then it does away with almost all of the DIY hunters and I bet they do something like NM where you have to pay a guide to get in an upper chance class then that money triples in the state and then they also can tax the outfitters.Who really knows why they would do it.If it was for management wouldn't they just lower the number of tags?

11-Mar-22
I never started the point game for sheep in WY because I did the math when I got into the game 10 years ago and knew I'd never draw.

I did put in for moose, but gave up years ago when the price went up, knowing that I'd most likely never draw.

I feel really bad for the guys that have been pumping tons of money into this system only to have the rules changed and the rug pulled out from under their feet.

IMO, they should be given the opportunity to get a refund.

11-Mar-22
Habitat the residents of Wyoming have decided they want a bigger piece of the pie. Can you blame them it's their pie! And for once a wildlife agency is making a decision not based on $$$ but on doing the best thing for their residents. I would think giving more tags to residents would equal less use of outfitters not more. Residents are already less likely to use a outfitter and with the wilderness rule not affecting them even less likely. As stated above the job of game and fish is to hold the wildlife in public trust for the residents of that state. Being allowed any percentage is a pleasure not a right.

11-Mar-22
Do residents believe outfitters should get more welfare in the form of half of the total NR quota?

11-Mar-22
Under the new numbers there will be zero random sheep tags for NR., unless I am missing something.

11-Mar-22
“ and will prohibit nonresidents from hunting wilderness areas.”

Wow. That one is an overreach in my opinion. And a gut punch.

11-Mar-22
Idyll,

I'm in that pool of 20+ point holders but don't believe a refund should be given or will. I have been using the points I purchased every year by applying for both sheep and moose with the hope that my worst case scenario would be having a chance at the random tag. I also still have a chance to draw a moose or sheep tag if i live to be 100+ :)

Now with no random tags I have to decide if enough people ahead of me will die before drawing. We all know there's not enough tags and maybe there never were to begin with and this was all just a dream.

11-Mar-22
I'll say as a resident, I don't like this. I don't agree with moving goalposts when so many non-residents have been applying and contributing so much to Wyoming. It's a huge disservice to them.

11-Mar-22
I bailed many years ago so I don’t have a horse in the race. And I’ve been screwed many times by other states, without consequence. But due to the excessive cost of points for WY’s big 3, I really think they should give current NR point investors the option of staying in the game, or getting a refund plus interest fee on their points, at least since $50/year began. I realize it’s never been done before, but this is an unreasonably huge destruction of value since there won’t even be a chance for random tags. This IMO is not much to ask. WY should throw these guys a bone.

11-Mar-22
Here's what it would take to get through all the 21+ preference point holders assuming no one dies.

This year's tag numbers 75/25 & 80/20: Sheep 18 Years, Moose 25 Years

Next Year @ 90/10: Sheep 46 Years, Moose 52 Years

The way I see it the preference point game will have to change in WY with no random tags to bait application numbers.

My wife just asked me how much money I wasted. I don't even have it in me to tell her the true cost. :(

11-Mar-22
9 years ago when i joined Bowsite I thought about jumping in for moose in Wyoming and Colorado.

I decided not to start gaining points. Sounds like a smart decision now.

11-Mar-22
^^^ I’ve been to Alaska moose hunting twice in the past 5 years.

And I’m a cheap bastard

11-Mar-22
Zim nailed it. However, I’m all for this new change as I’m gonna just move to WY.

I’m sure I’m not the only NR shopping for a 2-3 year domicile in WY. I’ll be flushing points down the toilet like the morning after the chili cook-off at the elks lodge, by 2024.

Sheep unit 2 Deer 128 Lope 58 Hope the wife moves with me! She is stacked with garbage points too.

11-Mar-22
Yep, my wife is all for 366 days in a condo in Jackson Hole on our way to AZ retirement. We will see how much more changes between now and then.

11-Mar-22
MQQSE, if you have 23 PP’s in 2024 you’ll be in great shape. Less than that, not so much. Keep in mind, there isn’t a PP system for residents for elk, deer, or antelope. For 2021, resident odds for area 58 antelope were 18%. Resident odds for area 128 deer were 1.5%.

Unless you’ve spent a winter and spring here, your wife may not be quite as eager as you. You’ve heard that saying about the only things that are certain are death and taxes? In Wyoming we add 4 additional items. Snow, cold, wind, and more wind! ;-)

11-Mar-22
I know it doesn't matter, but Wyoming is 48% Federal land. Maybe it should just all be sold off to the highest bidder. Let the landowners make the money on trespass fees and guided hunts. Why should the rest of the country pay to support public hunting grounds that locals don't want to share. Pay to play boys, that's the way it works in the rest of the country.

Yeah, I'm bitter. 20 years of moose points at $150 a pop. Flush em down the toilet. Point creep with this allocation is going to explode and I'll die before drawing. It's the biggest con game I've ever been a part of.

11-Mar-22

11-Mar-22
I'm glad I invested in Russian rubles instead of Wyoming preference points.

12-Mar-22
Plus, it will take basically 2 years to be in the Resident Draw Pool if a guy did move to Wyoming.

Not sure if you move you could still buy points as a Non-Ressy? cause you won't be a ressy for a full date year.

I guess you could move and get your drivers license on an exact date to be eligible in 1 year to apply going into your 2nd year of Residency?

What ya save on Taxes (currently and that could easily change) you would spent on heating your house for 9 months!!!

Good luck, Robb

12-Mar-22
Justin - FWIW I think states should take care of their own. I understand that NRs get fewer tags allocated and pay higher fees. Hunting as a Non-Resident is a privilege.

Many of those NR hunters are regular guys who also work hard every day and may have resident family and friends who would like to hunt with them.

Obviously, unlimited OTC tags for NR hunters is not the answer for sheep or moose in WY and not appreciated by CO residents for elk. But I think this really sucks for anybody who’s invested in points.

It sucks for the guys with top tier points, but maybe they’ll live long enough to get a tag. It really sucks for the guys with 19 points. I feel for those guys.

12-Mar-22
Without the ability and opportunity of the non resident to hunt other states, the demise of hunting is inevitable. When you can't hunt your own state due to draw statistics, the hunter begins to find other interests they can do.

The hunting community will outsmart itself on this pastime and opportunity going forward...

12-Mar-22
GG .... "I'm not buying these figures, and it makes me question the validity of the rest of the Bugle article."

That doesn't surprise me, you being the hard core Biden supporting liberal you are, if the information doesn't come from the Washington Post, you don't believe it.

12-Mar-22
I'm a firm believer in loopholes, and privileges for rich guys. Lol.

With elk limitations coming and landowner tags coming, I'm looking to buy land that qualifies for tags, problem is I need a few partners because Hayden outdoors keeps telling landowners their sage land with no water is worth 8k an acre. Who wants to partner up?

12-Mar-22
Grasshopper, you only need 160 acres of contiguous land, with suitable habitat and adequate populations of the species you want to hunt. A true rich guy should be able to swing that himself. ;-)

Matt

12-Mar-22
Surprised the outfitters allowed this to happen. Just cut there revenue in half.

13-Mar-22
GG, 160 is Colorado law. I believe wyoming is 2000 animal use days, but their rules aren't as clear. Ever land sale means renrollment, and they count poop piles.

While I was just kidding about the rich guy stuff, I can't see spending a million plus for land when you can just buy a landowner tag for a lot less.

13-Mar-22
"I know it doesn't matter, but Wyoming is 48% Federal land. Maybe it should just all be sold off to the highest bidder. Let the landowners make the money on trespass fees and guided hunts. Why should the rest of the country pay to support public hunting grounds that locals don't want to share."

Because, like the corner crossing "crisis", 99% of the country doesn't care.

13-Mar-22
Wyoming is 160 contiguous acres with some species use caveat too. Tags cant be transferred or used elsewhere, iirc, immediate family of owners only.

13-Mar-22
I’d be surprised if any eastern states sold 10% of any of their tags to nonresidents. Not a factor in the argument but the reason would be lack of demand or value. Don’t agree with the wilderness law or maybe this change but it does work in my favor as a resident. Thankfully the more populated parts of our country don’t elect our state government. It seems like they were trying to protect our interests. The moose tag numbers in western Wyoming have dropped or disappeared in some units since the wolf reintroduction making it slow going in getting through the high point holders. My selfish perspective stems from when I wasn’t a resident and had accumulated moose points. On my handwritten application, my poorly written name was mistaken as Ranall instead of Randall giving me an elk point. The local game and fish said I had to go to Cheyenne to straighten it out. Instead Ranall drew his last 38-9 elk tag. I also lost all of my moose points putting me way behind the group drawing moose tags. This new allocation may let me draw before I can’t hunt.

13-Mar-22
in addition to Steve H: "Any lands purchased for the primary purpose of obtaining landowner licenses shall not be eligible for landowner licenses"

13-Mar-22

14-Mar-22
So is anyone that applied this year buying a point if they don't draw and say are sitting at 19 this year for moose.

14-Mar-22
I’m sure they will be squared soon. So buying isn’t stupid. IMO anyway. It’s all a scam in the long run.

14-Mar-22
Good chance they'll sell more points this year to NR's than they ever have. Because of the threat of changing from preference to bonus-squared.

Some people have been applying for Sheep & Moose without spending the extra 300.00/year for points, putting them in the random draw. Those people might start buying points now.

• Sitka Gear