Tradmike 21-Mar-22
Nomad @ work 22-Mar-22
Stealth2 22-Mar-22
creed 26-Mar-22
ahunter76 27-Mar-22
Coondog 27-Mar-22
KY EyeBow 27-Mar-22
18-Mar-22
I have a blown out rotator cuff in my left arm and can no longer hold up a bow more than a few seconds. I can pull 60lbs without issues but simply can't hold up a bow anymore. Has anybody successfully gone lefty from shooting right handed? It seems so awkward. I have both an AZ antelope and elk hunt this fall and qualify for an Xbow permit but don't want to go that route.

18-Mar-22
I've shot my buddy's recurve (lefty) a few times. I suck, but I'm pretty sure I could get used to it in a short period of time if I put in the effort. If I was in your shoes, I'd go lefty.

18-Mar-22
I shot lefty for a couple years after shooting right for many. I am left eye dominant and wanted to see if I could improve my shooting. My shooting wasn't any better so I went to back to right. It felt a bit awkward, but not bad. Definitely doable if you need to because of an injury.

18-Mar-22
I would get the rotator fixed

18-Mar-22
"I would get the rotator fixed " I tried that but had let it go too long. Retraction and fatty atrophy took care of any repairs,

18-Mar-22
Right-handed shooter here. Had left shoulder rotator surgery and it healed slowly,...too slowly! Was not able to shoot at all from the end of March to mid-October. Thought I was going to miss the bow season. Discovered I could not shoot in a normal right-handed manner but could draw & aim as a lefty. The next morning I purchased a left-handed bow and in two weeks taught myself to shoot left-handed. By November I was in the woods hunting. Limited myself to a 20-yard shot. Accuracy was OK but not great. Took two shots that fall and took a buck and a doe. By the next year was back to right-handed shooting. It was very awkward learning to shoot left-handed but I somehow managed. Everything was back-ass-wards! But it eventually worked out and all is well now. Yes, switching is doable. But it is challenging and at times frustrating. You can do it if you want too bad enough and persist with your efforts. Good luck and Keep 'em sharp!

18-Mar-22
I would recommend getting a very good archery coach at your local shop as you transition. We do this quite often at our shop with very good success. Best of luck

18-Mar-22
Right hand compound finger shooter for 35 years. Degrading right eyesight made me go lefty about 5 years ago. I am left eye dominant; used to close it when shooting right handed. I did go to a release when shooting left handed. The transition was quick and easy; should have done it years ago. Shooting a bow is a two handed process. As I've read on here before, "Always shoot your dominant eye!"

18-Mar-22
I am right handed, but left eye dominant,,,,, from the military, and on, always shot my Master eye...... I wish you luck..... I would do it, anything can be accomplished ,,,, there are guys who have to shoot with their teeth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You can do it,,,,, maybe get a lighter bow, with 80 percent let off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hang in their brother,,,,,, You can do it

18-Mar-22

18-Mar-22
I shot a bow right handed growing up but was left eye dominant. Always shot rifle and shotgun left handed. Bought a right handed bow when I started bow hunting about age 35. After a couple years I realized without my bow I would pick out targets with my left eye. Didn’t even know they made left handed bows. Anyway I switched. IQ sight helped trying to establish form. I can still shoot my sons bow right handed but prefer left.

18-Mar-22
I am right-handed and left eye dominant. Shot right-handed for about 10 years, first shooting a compound bow instinctive, then with sights. Switched to shooting left-handed in the mid-nineties in an effort to shoot better. I have always closed my non-firing eye and commonly shoot a rifle right-handed and handguns left-handed. Switching wasn't difficult for me. Good luck with your shooting and during your fall hunts.

18-Mar-22
I too switched from right to left because left eye dominant and as I aged the vision in my right eye got worse faster than my left eye. Wasn't all that hard. Gives you a chance to build a good shot sequence because for a while you'll have to be more conscious about it. Now shoot with both eyes open I couldn't do before.

18-Mar-22
Creed… I know what you mean. A buddy left his go to long. He loves turkey hunting and shoots right handed naturally. He had to switch to his left hand, in order to raise his shotgun. I wish you the best of luck.

18-Mar-22
My uncle shot right but figured out he was left eye dominant & made the switch without issues.

19-Mar-22
Injury to my right eye forced me to change. First thing I did out of the hospital was to pickup the .22 and plink. It made me concentrate more on form and aim. I believe I am a much better shooter since making the switch.

19-Mar-22
I switched due to target panic. I am a natural right hander and right eye dominant. Target panic got so bad I tried shooting left handed. It was a bit awkward at first, but it became very natural. Became a good shot on game and targets, won a number of tournaments. And found out I was stronger LH than RH!

I know some guys have switched and had trouble seeing their pins correctly unless they closed one eye. I had no problems shooting with both eyes open, although I "see" two sets of sight pins, one very strong and one weak. Hard to explain. I figured out quickly how to aim and have never had a problem. Shot that way for 20 yrs then the stubborn side of me decided to really give it a go RH again and see if I could beat the TP. It was still there, but I switched from fingers to a thumb release and beat it. It was a bit humorous at times, as I turned loose of the release a few times!

It can be done, but give yourself plenty of time.

20-Mar-22
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am going to give it a shot. Guess the worse thing that could happen is I would have to shoot a crossbow. God forbid LOL!

20-Mar-22
You won't have to. I shot a couple elk, and bears when I switched to lefty. You'll do fine.

20-Mar-22
Creed this is not a bash on you, I feel bad for your predicament. You need to give the left handed option a go. I know 2 people that did the xbow thing and after a year gave up hunting. Don’t let that happen!!!!!!

Anyone that needs thier shoulders done- get at it!!!!! Schedule surgery right after Xmas and you’ll be recovered by September. I had mine done on January 21 and after a month I was finally sleeping through the night after 2 years of misery. I’m 2/3 of the way through recovery and yes at times pt sucks, but I’m getting better every day and should be back shooting a lighter bow by the first of June. Don’t be in misery because of an injury life is too damn short not to enjoy it!!! Just had a friend who was 54 doe of a heart attack yesterday. You never know when the day is comin don’t let it be compromised

20-Mar-22
My lifelong hunting partner switched from left to right and picked it up in no time. Went on to kill a whole lot of animals with recurves after the switch. I tried switching from right to left after an eye injury changed my dominant eye, and never could get confident. Ended up sticking with right handed but switched to a compound with a peep, and that took care of it for me.

20-Mar-22
Bruce I am happy to see you not give up on hunting with a bow. Hang in there man! Seems like you are getting some good advice here. Cheers amigo!

20-Mar-22
Shot right handed growing up. Shot well. Developed target panic and started getting the left handed bear bows that we were collecting and hunting with. Had to practice hard to switch but have shot well for more than 40 years

21-Mar-22
I have switched from lh to rh and back to lh. This is over a period of 50 years. Dont be intimidated. You can do it and it doesnt take long. Just start with low poundage and progress from there.

22-Mar-22
I went from right to left eye dominant. Owner of pro shop convinced me to switch as I was purchasing a new bow. Was VERY skeptical but followed his advise. He said it happens quite often & I'd get used to it very quickly. He was right. I had no problem making the switch. Now I can shoot right or left handed.

22-Mar-22
I bow hunt RH and LH. Had to make the switch to LH due to rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. Practiced diligently with a 53# recurve for 4 months. shot 2 does that fall. Had surgery in January and now, bowhunt deer and turkey switching off righty and lefty.

26-Mar-22

creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
Got a left hand bow yesterday. I have shot about 30 arrows through it. It’s awkward as all get out but I think there’s hope. This is a 30 yd group. I shot another one about the same size.

27-Mar-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
One of my close friends long ago switched due to an eye problem.. Ended up being one of the top shooters in the state. My son, lazy eye & I switched him at a young age. He's a great lefty archer/bowhunter now & tagged many a biggame.

27-Mar-22
If you won't get surgery, look into stem cell injections.

27-Mar-22
I switched from right to left handed archery shooting about 15 years ago. Was getting some chronic tendinitis in my Left shoulder prior to switching. I'm also right eye dominant. The switch was not easy for me but it did allow me to learn the basics again and I feel like I'm a better shot, lefty, now than I was a Righty. The eye dominance issue was hardest for me as I had to learn to close my dominant eye while shooting which I used to never do. Also, it is a bit harder tracking moving targets/picking shooting lanes at the "moment of truth" but that has gotten better. Honestly, if you want it bad enough, just make it happen! No reason you shouldn't become very proficient with your off handedness. Good luck!

• Sitka Gear