PREZ 12-Apr-22
APauls 12-Apr-22
Treeline 12-Apr-22
lamb 14-Apr-22
APauls 14-Apr-22
Corax_latrans 16-Apr-22
rattling_junkie 17-Apr-22
18-Mar-22
Have you used them or known anyone who has and how did they perform on elk?

18-Mar-22
I haven't shot an elk with them, but did run through a black bear with a 175gr Jagger. Frontal shot and it zipped all the way through.

Very tough , low profile slick heads.

19-Mar-22
I’m playing around with them as well. Shot a hog last weekend with them way forward to see if it could blow through. Broadside shot. Deflected off leg bone and went all the way through the hog angling backward through the front of guts

The exiting arrow hit the leg on the feeder so hard it bent the tip

Wicked arrows.

I need to try shooting them at 60 yards and see how big the pin gaps are. From what I see now I’ll be using them for elk

I’d like to get a shot at a big boar and drive one through the shield

19-Mar-22
I'm getting them sharp with a round diamond rod and/or the slightly oval diamond file (got from 3Rivers Archery) pushing from tip to base. Polish using the blue jean method pulling from base to tip while you are wearing blue jeans. From around the knee area or lower thigh. It's safe don't worry. The jean material will polish the Valkjerie curve. Works for regular 3 blades also such as VPAs.

19-Mar-22
are yall shooting their bloodeagle heads with your usual arrow or did you buy their tapered arrow system too?

19-Mar-22
@David - frankly, I’m surprised you’d bother to ask that question.

If you can get them sharp, they should work as well as anything else, no? But arguably no better…..

Is there something about them that made you wonder if they have shortcomings, or is it just March?

21-Mar-22

David A.'s embedded Photo
David A.'s embedded Photo
Heard of one instance of poor penetration on a musk ox, but second hand info. Took this buck with a Valkyrie, zipped through like butter. OK but not great blood trail. Probably will use on elk with my longbow. Haven't made any bad choices yet on elk, I just like to be thorough with my "homework".

21-Mar-22
Apologies... didn't mean for the photo to be so large. I felt sorry for that buck, only had one ear so I took him out of the gene pool, hehe.

22-Mar-22
when selecting a broadhead/arrow for elk it is important to remember this, Elk are big not just big deer, but big, it is important to have your arrow completely tuned to your bow, You need all the penetration you can get, It goes with out saying your broadhead has to be very sharp and you need a good sized hole for a maximum blood trail, so when selecting a broadhead, try to select one you can sharpen very sharp and one that cuts a big hole,

22-Mar-22
I’ll go for a deep hole vs a very big hole, on elk. The ones I’ve killed went down fast and I was using a 1 1/8” diameter or slightly less coc bh.

22-Mar-22
when the wound channel is deep and wide its even better

23-Mar-22
I am convinced that Valkyrie is the BEST. They are built specifically for penetration. Last elk season my son's bow sight broke, so we both used my bow with Valkyrie arrows. Two bulls down, both with complete pass-through. Jagger BH with their centerpin system and arrow. They are expensive, but it is THE most important piece of gear. Any well-tuned bow will do, but the arrow does the job.

24-Mar-22
“ when the wound channel is deep and wide its even better”

Never would’ve guessed…. :p

Recurves & Longbows operate under a different set of limitations. Not clear whether you’ve taken that into account, but I suspect not.

24-Mar-22
lol

25-Mar-22
They fly great and are probably the coolest looking head I've owned, but man I can't sharpen those things for the life of me and they got dull really quick compared to other heads

03-Apr-22
You can easily get them sharp using the method I describe above which is as simple as can be. Even so, I can't them as sharp as the best single bevels, IMO. Abowyer (that's the brand) single bevels come much sharper, too. My other complaint is you could run into trouble if you dead center an elk's rib and certainly on shoulder blade whereas a single bevel bh likely will have a better outcome by splitting the bone.

12-Apr-22
Valkyrie heads will be on my arrows this year for elk. I think they are one of the best heads on the market. Accurate, super tough and sharp. I sharpen them with the Valkyrie sharpening system on grinding wheels.

12-Apr-22
The broadhead looks like it is like 3" long so you would assume that leads to a very nice blade angle. But no, they took like a standard broadhead angle and then just extended it another inch and a half. For what purpose? So that you can have a rounded corner on the inside and make them difficult to sharpen? This head makes no sense to me. They solved exactly 0 problems. But I guess that's what happens when you need to be different for the sake of being different. It's not going to penetrate better than any other 1 1/8" head just because it has a long leading point.

Of course it would work for elk, but why wouldn't you just go with a Wensel Woodsman?

12-Apr-22
^^ What Adam said.

They will certainly kill an elk, or anything else when put in the right place. There are plenty of great options out there these days that will work as well, if not better overall. Plus being less expensive and easier to get sharp…

14-Apr-22
apauls have you shot one or even seen one in your hand? my bet would be no. like the guy at 3d that was telling me how to caribou hunt . i asked how many caribou hunts have you been on ? he tells me none???

14-Apr-22
lamb I have not. There are some things a person needs to do to have experience and there are other things you do not. When the question is regarding a physical piece of metal, and one has experimented with many other pieces of metal and also knows the laws of physics you can come up with an answer.

There are certain features of a broadhead that will give it an advantage in a certain area. These have been proven over time. So you can look at a head and it's combination of features and make assumptions. That is why there is no "one best broadhead." Because in order to increase in one area you take away from another. If you want to increase penetration by changing only head characteristics (not weight) that generally means you are going to be giving up cutting width. And so on and so on. Looking at that head, it doesn't solve any problems, and makes other things (like sharpening) more difficult to the average user.

Without having ever stepped foot in a lowered Honda Civic with reduced suspension and low profile tires could you tell me how it rides?

16-Apr-22
“ could you tell me how it rides?”

Only after re-learning how to talk without any fillings in his teeth… ;)

17-Apr-22
I was hoping to learn how to shoot a longbow as accurate as my compound.

• Sitka Gear