Cornpone 22-Mar-22
Wirehair 22-Mar-22
Rock 22-Mar-22
rickepanton 07-Dec-23
Buckdeer 07-Dec-23
woodguy65 07-Dec-23
Live2Hunt 08-Dec-23
20-Mar-22
In a couple weeks we are remodeling our bathroom. We will be tearing out a shower and putting new one in. The gentleman doing remodel suggested taking down mounts as shower is on opposite side of wall of many of my mounts. It is a vaulted ceiling so mounts are difficult to reach so when down I wanted to give them a good cleaning. Any suggestions on what to do to them when I have them down? Is just a good dusting all I need to do or anything else to give them longevity? They range from about 15 year to 2 year old.

20-Mar-22
I just recently hung up my entire collection in our new home after having the mounts in storage for a year. Dennis Razza suggested an air compressor and it was fantastic. All dust removed.

20-Mar-22
Thanks Charlie! That is a great idea.

20-Mar-22
Take an air compressor to them. Then take about a 3:10 vinegar to water ratio and wet a rag and wipe them down.

Need to do mine again.

20-Mar-22
My taxidermist always said you can also wipe them down with non Amonia window cleaner. Which has worked for me since I don't have a compressor.

I have also used this product. https://www.mountmedix.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9

Has an odd minty smell to it though

20-Mar-22
I’ve always used just plain windex with a cheese cloth

20-Mar-22
My taxi says the same, compressor and non ammonia window cleaner. Also a soft beard brush gets all the hair back nicely.

20-Mar-22
air compressor and absorbeen show sheen used on show horses for the hair. they look better than alive!

20-Mar-22
I have always just used a small backpack style vacuum cleaner with flex hose and brush attachment. Seems to work well

20-Mar-22
If you don't have access to an air compressor you can use a leaf blower like i have done in the past.

20-Mar-22
Wet wash clothe

21-Mar-22
Air like others have mentioned, and a cloth sprayed with Cowboy Magic has worked for me.

21-Mar-22
If you have a lot of windows there are horse showing spray products that have UV sun protection in the spray.

21-Mar-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

21-Mar-22
I just wipe mine down with a damp washcloth and warm water.

Going with the lay of the hide hair.

Good luck, Robb

21-Mar-22
I vacuum with brush attachment & then use a damp soft cloth.

21-Mar-22
Soft brush attachment on the shopvac here.

22-Mar-22
Mount Medix makes a product called Mount Protector with restores the sheen and protects against infestation. As someone who has had beetles, I would recommend it. They also have a produce called Horn and Antler Conditioner which works nicely. I used it on deer, elk, moose, sheep, antelope and Mtn Goat.

22-Mar-22
I have two Mt Goats that have turned black from dust. Blowing them off doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

22-Mar-22
Pat, My goats are still very white so I have no experience with that. However, you may want to contact Mount Medix, www.mountmedix.com. They returned my calls a few years ago and were very helpful. I just ordered a gallon of mount protector from them. This thread reminded me that I have not treated my mounts for 3 years.

22-Mar-22
My euros are still in good shape. They were done by a local who, after talking with him last week, did 1430 deer this season. A number of other species also. If mine start to discolor I'll contact him and do whatever he tells me.

22-Mar-22
I’ll second the cowboy magic. It’s what my taxi recommended.

22-Mar-22
As others have said air compressor or vacuum with brush attachment, then I wipe mine down with Hair Sheen which is what my Taxidermist recommended. Big plus is my wife really likes the smell of the Hair Sheen.

07-Dec-23
For those hard-to-reach spots, like the vaulted ceiling, a long-handled duster or an extension pole with a brush attachment can be really handy. If you want to go the extra mile, there are specialized taxidermy cleaning products available that can help maintain their appearance and prevent dust buildup. As for longevity, keeping them away from direct sunlight and fluctuations in temperature and humidity can also help preserve them. If you're unsure about any specific cleaning methods, it's always a good idea to consult with a professional taxidermist who can provide guidance tailored to your mounts. And if you're too busy with your remodeling, you might want to check out a local maid service to assist with the cleaning.

07-Dec-23
It's a good time to inspect for weevils also

07-Dec-23

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
As others have said - good stuff. It’s all natural cleans and protects from critters.

08-Dec-23
vacuum with a soft brush attachment...working same direction as hair.

08-Dec-23
As shown, the best stuff is the items from taxidermist companies depending on what you want to do, dust, clean, remove stains, etc. I generally tell my clients to spray a rag with lemon pledge and wipe down. If really dusty, blow off first. You can also get those disposable packs with lemon pledge.

• Sitka Gear