midwest 06-May-22
Starfire 06-May-22
Starfire 06-May-22
jcneng 06-May-22
t-roy 06-May-22
20-Mar-22

Starfire's embedded Photo
After my earlier thread I decided to commit to using 125 bullheads this year. Things were going good with my first outing. 3 out of 3 hits on an empty toilet paper roll (thanks for whoever suggested that) @15 yds. But then things went off the tracks. Using a pillow hanging from a rope as a back stop at 20 yds I started missing. I checked and the blades are all slightly bent. I know Mike will replace them but I just don't think this is a viable setup if I cannot practice with them. I have check them for tightness every time and use a hanging pillow as suggested and I am only shooting 50#. So my question is for those who use and endorse them can you repeatably practice with these or is it just a shoot it once into the pillow to check you zero and then hunt with a different head to ensure they are not bent. In the attached picture you can see the top blades are new and unbent. the other three show various degrees of bending.

20-Mar-22
I've just always figured they were good for one shot anyhow. I used a big heavy arrow with mine and didn't have any flight issues. I've only shot one turkey with it. Shot low & hit it right in the chest the arrow bounced right off. But the turkey tipped over & never moved.

20-Mar-22
I always figured they were one or two shots at turkeys anyway. Never though they were made for repeated practice.

20-Mar-22
I never impressed my physics teacher but I can't see them not bending easily.

20-Mar-22
Keep practicing with the same one and yes the blades will bend after repetitive shooting into a pillow. You should be able to get them to hit with field points at close range. No need to ever shoot past 20 yards in my opinion and more than likely you will shoot birds at least than 10 yards if you set up properly.

20-Mar-22
Not sure I have ever bent one shooting a Pillow or layered foam target. Have bent them on Turkeys and misses where they hit the ground then just change out the bent blade and continue using them. Sometimes I even put heads together with 3 bent Blades that are about the same bend and the work and fly fine.

20-Mar-22
I never had them bent because I could never get them to fly accurately out of any my bows. They were not aerodynamic enough for me. But I'm sure it was operator error, I know lots of guys that like them. I'll stick to body shots with fixed blade heads. They rarely fail me.

20-Mar-22
Pat - What broadhead are you using for body shots? I have mostly used 3 blade expandables but the last two years I have lost birds and so I am wanting to give the dead or gone aspect of the head shot a try again. Good to hear that I am not the only one that has issues with bullhead accuracy. It seems like every time I post something about them everyone says my bow is not tuned.

20-Mar-22
Magnus was a sponsor of ours for years, Mike is a good guy and wanted me to try them. I remember when they were first announced right here on the forums.

I was a little apprehensive about head shots and decapitating turkeys but I wanted to try them. I really could not get them to fly straight. Tried a bunch of things, even recurves, and just could not get them to fly well. Told Mike and he tried to walk me through stuff like heavy arrows, etc. I eventually gave up. That was years ago, maybe the product has changed.

I use just plain old 1" 3-blade 100gr heads for everything from Elk, to deer, to turkeys. They fly perfect and I am 100% tagged out over the last 4 seasons at my property in NY. Here's last years' video.

I never was 100% sold on the whole decapitation thing. I know guys swear by them. I'm sure lots of shooters have it dialed in. I'll just stick to what works best for me. To each his own.

20-Mar-22
What works for me is a 3 or 4 blade and aim for the middle of the bird at any angle. The head shot thing ups the odds of a sure kill or clean miss but I have no desire to mess with the Bullhead type heads. I hunted with the Double Bull guys when they came out and they took a bunch of birds with them.

20-Mar-22
I noticed you only went back 4 years, Pat! ;-)

I haven’t had any problems getting my Bullheads to fly well out to at least 20 yards. I haven’t sighted them in past that. The old Gobbler Guillotines were a nightmare to use. If I have to shoot farther, I’ve got a couple of expandables in the quiver as well. I save the used blades and use them for practice. I definitely have bent a few on birds, and have broken a couple off, as well. I shoot into a cheapie fiberfill pillow stuffed into a cardboard box. There seems to be plenty of give to that setup, and will last for a couple dozen shots, at least.

Personally, I feel using the Bullheads makes me a better shot, by forcing me to dial in on a small target vs me ending up tending to shoot center mass on birds, using expandables.

21-Mar-22
The blades will bend after a few practice shots on pillows and on kill shots. In my case on pillows they bend symmetrically and don't seem to affect flight. My solution for flight accuracy is 6-fletch (all Blazer vanes). That setup gives me great flight 20+ yards no different than my FBB.

All that said, I burned through a few blades getting my setup dialed in, but now since they fly the same no need to practice with them, and every single time I've hit a turkey in the neck the result was impressive and immediate. I love Bullheads!

21-Mar-22
The blades on Solid DCAP broadheads are much stronger, if you can get your setup to handle 200 grain broadheads.

21-Mar-22
Smarba - I think I am going to do what you do since the first few practice shots were on target. I am going to carry two bullheads for close shots and two expandable since they have the same point of impact.

21-Mar-22
Both the bullheads and DCAP broadheads are ridiculously easy to sharpen. Just a few drags per blade on a RADA wheelie sharpener gets them back in action.

21-Mar-22
Scoot: "Pat always refers to head shot broadheads with the "decapitation thing" label. It's not about decapitation with them"

Then why do they call them DCAP Broadheads? I mean, that's the freaking name of the head! LOL!

21-Mar-22
I never found the decap heads appealing. I've not hunted Turkey with anything but bow for 20 + years and before that, off and on with gun. I hunted with a guy a few time that used decap heads. Last time i chatted with him he stopped using them. Saying just to hard to get setup with them. My favorite head is the 2 inch, 3 blade rocket hammer head. But each there own. You shoot what you like and feel confident with. Confidents 90% of making it enjoyable.

21-Mar-22
Honestly, with traditional archery setups and speeds, the DCAPs tune very well. 200 grains is a pretty common tip weight and the arrows are frequently a little heavier. That helps with this type of head as well. I have only killed 4 turkey with this type of head. 2 decapitated. One each with a bullhead and one with a DCAP. I can shoot them well to 30 yards, although I don’t shoot turkey nearly that far. When I shoot them in the body I use a string tracker to aid in the recovery. No denying that a lot of birds shot in the body are never recovered. Nothing guaranteed in this game.

21-Mar-22
I should mention the other 2 had their neck broken and bled profusely.

21-Mar-22
Tim Wells is making a turkey head. Its a 4 blade with very thick blades that will be easy to sharpen. The blades insert and mesh together like the old Muzzy heads, even have a trocar tip. They come in a 4 pack. I got a pack the other day but haven't shot them yet

21-Mar-22
They aren't about decapitation? What? Since when?

The "Gobbler Guillotine" came out early 2000s around 05 followed by the Bullhead a couple years later if I'm not mistaken. There were so many videos and photos of heads lopped off sent around by both companies that you couldn't avoid them. "Guillotine" is pretty clear what the intent was and the Bullhead followed suit. Maybe you aren't cutting heads off, but that was the original marketing.

22-Mar-22
I've killed a handful of birds with 125 Bullhead. Most sliced the neck clean in two. Although the term "like a chicken with it's head cut off" is appropriate; a little eerie honestly. But they drop like a stone, no tracking necessary.

22-Mar-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I’ve killed between 15-20 gobblers with a 100 grain Bullhead, and so far I’ve yet to decapitate a single bird. I’ve come close on a few, but not totally detached. (I won’t lose any sleep over it, if I do) I’d say the majority of them have died from having their necks broken from blunt force trauma as much as from slicing. I’ve hit more than a few closer to the base of the neck, than closer to the head. That possibly could be the reason. The bird in the pic was hit towards the base of his neck.

I’ve bounced a bullhead or two off their chests as well, with seemingly no ill effects to the bird, but last year I also hit a longbeard facing me at less than 10 yards, just to the right of the base of his neck, and actually got enough penetration to kill that bird pretty quickly.

22-Mar-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
It’s a little hard to see, but there’s a little bit of blood visible in front of the bird’s left wing butt.

22-Mar-22
Well stated. The decapitation thing makes for cool videos and good marketing, but the heads work because of the vulnerability of the head and neck area. Lots of blood vessels and if a #6 shogun pellet can break a vertebrate the KE of an arrow certainly will. The one bird I have killed with a bullhead just grazed his skull but it was enough to put him lights out. Combine that with the visibility of an obvious aiming target as apposed to the guess which feather the vitals are behind is why I started this thread, I really want to get them to work for me because I like the all or nothing "no need to track". I have watched all the "where to aim on a turkey videos" and still I have lost two birds in the last two years with a body shot.

22-Mar-22
Scoot, see my post above. Ridiculously easy to sharpen with a 10 dollar sharpener that you can throw in your pocket.

22-Mar-22
For those that are using the decap heads, Whats your arrow/bow setup? Kinda wondering if to easily get them to tune you need a heavy/stiff arrow with lower poundage???? I'm just guessing right now, as I've never try them.

22-Mar-22

smarba's embedded Photo
My first Bullhead turkey. Note the greenery disguising the fact his head was lopped completely off...
smarba's embedded Photo
My first Bullhead turkey. Note the greenery disguising the fact his head was lopped completely off...
I honestly believe the blunt force impact to the neck (spine) would kill a bird, so I doubt the sharpness or resharpening of the blades is even necessary.

25-Mar-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
pdk………..Thanks for the heads up on the RADA wheelie sharpener! Got it yesterday and it worked slick to resharpen some dull blades on my 100 grain Bullheads.

Teeton……I’m shooting 70lbs and using some Victory V1 shafts, that are 4fletched with 4” feathers. They came in kind of a kit, with 2 Bullheads and these arrows. I’ve had zero issues getting them to fly well out of my setup. A guy could easily get away with a lot less poundage, IMO.

25-Mar-22
The Rada does great. I used one on Bullheads when my daughter was shooting them. With blades being perpendicular to the shaft a super keen edge wouldn't work and in my opinion the Rada shines there.

02-Apr-22
Tim Wells is making a turkey head. Its a 4 blade with very thick blades that will be easy to sharpen. The blades insert and mesh together like the old Muzzy heads, even have a trocar tip. They come in a 4 pack. I got a pack the other day but haven't shot them yet

03-Apr-22
Glad it is working out for you t-roy

03-Apr-22
Glad it is working out for you t-roy

13-Apr-22

MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo
MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo

MikeSohm/Magnus's Link
Hey all. thanks for using our magnus bullheads, i dont visit the bowsite much but when i do if i see any thread on our broadheads i will always try and respond. First of all if you damage any magnus broadhead we replace it. take a picture email it to us with your name and address and we will replace. Taking their heads off is the best way and its a lot of fun. If you cannot get a bullhead to fly there is 2 reasons you cant and it doesnot matter who you are. If you cannot get them to fly or you even use another brand which is a head chopping broadhead, its because your bow is not tuned and your not using the correctly spined arrow. Its really that simple. I have attached a video to show. Because of the length of the blades, you can bend or break a blade its because of the pendulum effect, because of the length the leverage against the blade causes alot of force and it can bend or break BUT you email us we replace,. your out nothing. I have been blessed to take 18 birds with the bullhead , 1 was at 43 yds , 3 were over 20 yds and 14 were 10 and under. They dont go anywhere with their chopped off! You dont damage meat and its the easiest shot there is. Get some good decoys set the decoys at under 10 yds and have fun. We will always take care of you. Watch the video which comes in the bullhead package, this is very important. Head chopping broadheads require a full length arrow in most cases, YOU DONOT NEED FLU FLU FEATHERS. we use 4-4 inch right wing feathers or you can use 3-5 inch right wing feathers. If we can be of service please email us at [email protected]

13-Apr-22

MikeSohm/Magnus's Link
Hopefully this wont be deleted but for any of you who havenot seen a decapatation head in action watch this clip. Take their heads off!! and for the record you can take their heads off and still have them mounted. Whatever broadheads you use, enjoy the day in the woods. life is to short not to.

16-Apr-22

pdk25's Link
Skip the boring parts of a Jake jumping my decoy, and start around the 2:30 mark. Poor video, but this was my first bird using a bulkhead.

https://youtu.be/afiNveYHVB0

16-Apr-22

pdk25's Link

16-Apr-22
The head was just held on my some neck skin.

16-Apr-22
OK, I have an update on the Tim Wells turkey heads. I killed a bird with one last tuesday. All 4 blades broke off and the ferrule bent. It killed the bird, but he made it 75 yards before expiring. In fact, the bird almost came in the blind with me. I emailed Slockmaster but no response. I know if I email Magnus Mike will respond. No more Slockmaster turkey heads for me as the blades are too brittle.

17-Apr-22
Very reliable head. Not sure why you think you need to practice with them. One shot to verify POI and hunt.

17-Apr-22
Just the word Slockmaster is enough for me to never use that head. Im not usually one to be a prude about too many things others do as long as its legal…but slockmaster….nah thanks

17-Apr-22
Thanks for the reply t-roy.

Maybe next year I'll try and setup a bow for a decap head. Not enough time this year.

18-Apr-22
I've always used a big mech but I'd like to try one. To me, one of the biggest advantages would be no loss of meat and a clean carcass to process.

18-Apr-22
Nick I just ordered a kit online. 55 bucks shipped I think. Two arrows 4 fletched like T-Roy mentioned and two 100 grain heads

06-May-22
Authers update. I concluded that the bullheads shot on target until the blades started to bend, so it's not a head you can do extensive practice with. I ended up carrying both bullheads and expandable broadheads for the 2022 turkey season. My intent was to use the Bullheads for close range shots, when hunting near property lines where I knew I could not track or hunting in urban areas where I did not want to risk wounding a turkey and having him run around the neighborhood with an arrow sticking out. I ended up shooting a nice tom at 22 yards with the bullhead. THUMP...Dead in his tracks. It did break a blade upon impact, but I do not mind that I figure it did its job. The attached picture shows it hit him right in the neck breaking the vertebrate instantly. I am surprised it didn't take his head off, but my guess is one of the opposing blades may have also partly hit the body as he was in half strut and thus absorbing and redirecting some of energy away from severing the neck completely.

06-May-22
Awesome...congrats!

06-May-22

Pic

06-May-22

I had trouble with adding pics to the post so I will do it in separate posts. Here is the Bullhead Damage

06-May-22

jcneng's embedded Photo
jcneng's embedded Photo
They work! I would highly recommend them

06-May-22
Congrats, Starfire!!

• Sitka Gear