Lawdog 23-Mar-22
DonVathome 23-Mar-22
WapitiBob 23-Mar-22
DonVathome 30-Mar-22
WapitiBob 30-Mar-22
zeke 03-Apr-22
Cheesehead Mike 03-Apr-22
22-Mar-22
I hooked my Garmin Dakota up to my computer and found GPX points, not sure what that was? I could not find my individual gps points. I am hoping for a way to simply copy files (gps points) from my gps to my computer and then into google earth. What extension should gps points have?

22-Mar-22
.gpx is the generic GPS file extension and what Garmin uses for GPS files. Programs like EasyGPS also uses .gpx extension. The extension for Google Earth is .klm

In OnX maps you can export your GPS files as both .klm and . gpx files. I've transferred waypoints into Google Earth before and never had any problem. I don't remember if I had to convert them to .klm or if I was able to import them as .gpx files.

22-Mar-22

23-Mar-22
Don, if you call Garmin, they can walk you through it. With them I was able to export the waypoints from my older Magellan and import them to my new Garmin via my computer. That was important to me since Magellan seems to have gotten out of the handheld business.

23-Mar-22
Lawdog great idea! Thanks guys, I was able to get some GPX stuff out but it drew lines around where i have been it did not bring in individual points. It was weird. I hand entered a few.

23-Mar-22
Plug in the garmin, it will become a new drive on your computer. navigate to the Garmin/gpx folder. Select all of them and copy to a new, appropriately named folder on the computer. Open GE Pro and go to "file/open" to import.

30-Mar-22
WB I did that and it did not pull in points, it drew some lines on the screen - that was like a "route" no gps points. Not sure what happened? It looked like it was my tracks for each day.

30-Mar-22
I removed the Garmin folders off my laptop so I don’t have the names but there are a cpl sub folders under Garmin that can contain user data.

03-Apr-22
This is the way I do it, there may be other ways. If you have BaseCamp, open the program, connect your your hand held unit to your computer, click on Device after a few seconds, BC will recognize your hand held unit. Then under Device click on receive from device. Your waypoints should automatically transfer to BC. Click on Tools, then select. Select all the waypoints you want to transfer. Next click on File, then Export, then Export Selection. You will be able to name the selected files and select a location to save them. Save them. At this point you have your waypoints on your handheld unit, on BC and saved elsewhere. Open GE, click on File, Open, go to the extension file and select Gpx, select your location and click on the file you want to open in GE, click open and your selection should open and be on GE. That is the way I do it, my explanation may not be the best. If you have questions PM me.

03-Apr-22
Pretty much how I do it too. I have all my waypoints saved on my laptop hard drive, on a thumb drive and on a CD. I've moved files around to GE, uploaded/downloaded to various different GPS units and OnX and emailed gpx files containing multiple waypoints to friends. It's pretty simple. I have too many OnX waypoints and I can't have them all uploaded at the same time because I exceed the maximum waypoint limit. Therefore I have to download and upload waypoints each year depending on what states I'm hunting. It's just basic copying and pasting and moving computer files around.

• Sitka Gear