Thehospitabledoc 31-Mar-22
Rut Nut 01-Apr-22
Rut Nut 06-Apr-22
Rut Nut 19-May-22
Rut Nut 19-May-22
29-Mar-22
Is the anker or positon the way to go?

30-Mar-22
I've used an Anker in the past but have been looking to see if there is a better option. I have seen a few that now have a built-in solar charger. They say it takes a long time to recharge by solar, but is a nice feature in a pinch if you use up the battery and have no way (other than the sun) to recharge it.

30-Mar-22
I use an anker as well but have a small solar charge I leave out on the back of my pack or in camp to charge the anker throughout the day. I got it from amazon and it weighs about 1.5#.

30-Mar-22
I assume the solar chargers are alot heavier?

30-Mar-22
I like my Dark Energy Poseidon charger. Have only used Solar once or twice

30-Mar-22
I'm curious Brotsky..............how long does your charger take to charge your powerbank and how much "juice" does your Anker store?

I'm looking at a 43,800mAH powerbank with 4 panel (built in) solar charger that is 1.5 lbs. Not sure I need all that power, so debating if I want to go over a pound.

I can get a 36,800mAH powerbank that weighs .8 pounds but only a single solar panel. THe reviews say the 4 panel will charge in half the time of the single panel.

30-Mar-22
I've used a Mophie 5000 for the past 2 years and been super happy with it.

30-Mar-22
I had a solar charger a few years back, not sure of it name but it took way to long to recharge. I bought a charger pack that I can charge my phone about 2 1/2 times. So thats 3 1/2 charges. which with off and on and using my GPS my phone would last 2 weeks. My old phone you could take the batteries out of and replace them when dead. I bought 3 replacement batteries on ebay that would get me though my 2 weeks out. Also there's disposable lite weight battery packs you can buy now. If I remember right they cost about 8 or 10 bucks. Guessing you get only one or 1.5 charges out of them.

30-Mar-22
the greatWapiti which Mophie 5000? Look on Amazon and lots of options. Thanks

30-Mar-22
Perry, I don't think I've ever kept track of how long to a full charge, mainly because it never gets there! Ha! I just charge it a bit here and there whenever I've been able and it seems to always have enough juice to get me through my hunts. The 36800 is likely enough for you on everything but the longest hunts just charging a cell phone and an inreach mini for example.

30-Mar-22

TheGreatWapiti's embedded Photo
Here is a pic! Mine is 2 years old so there is probably a newer model. Weighs 4 oz. Same dimensions as my phone. I get about 2-3 evening recharges and then I swing by my vehicle, plug into usb, get a recharge on the charger and good to go for a few more days. Probably better units out there but it has worked pretty good for me. Maybe I need to look for a new model based on seeing what's out there!!

30-Mar-22

Model info

30-Mar-22
I have a little Anker Powercore 10,000 and its wonderful. Small, lightweight, couldn't be happier for the applications I need on a hunt (occasional OnX or Gaia, and Inreach check-ins)

30-Mar-22

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo

KSflatlander's Link
This is what I use and have had good luck. I attach it to the outside of my pack and can charge my phone/inreach and still use it.

myCharge Portable Charger Waterproof USB C Power Bank Adventure 10050mAh Internal Battery / 18W Turbo Fast Charging Rugged Outdoor External Battery Pack Backup

30-Mar-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I had a rep give me this to try out. I normally take an anker 10, 000 ma and a solar charger when out for a week or longer. This may be a new option for the whole group to charge from since it uses any Milwaukee tool battery. The weight is an issue but if our group pooled joint use items. It may not be an issue

30-Mar-22
Thanks Brotsky! I hear you- the one review said it took 6 or 8 hours in the sun to charge it enough to provide a 25% charge on a smartphone. So it would be more for “emergency” power once you run out. Nice to have that option though.

30-Mar-22
altitude, I have used that Milwaukee system for 3 years at my hunting shack with no power. It works great, weight is not an issue for me.

30-Mar-22
A 17 AH ebike battery makes a pretty good backup power source too.. ;-)

31-Mar-22
I also see that new Ford electric pickup can power your whole house in a power outage! ;-)

31-Mar-22
For base camp, the Milwaukee battery with adaptor is hard to beat. For times when weight matters, the anker has always worked great.

31-Mar-22
thanks for the info GreatWapiti

31-Mar-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I just ordered this one from Amazon. Got it for 40% off- $23.99

31-Mar-22
I too like the 10,000 mAh Anker chargers…and prefer two small ones over one big one.

31-Mar-22
I have a charger that I purchased from Monoprice.com. On a full charge, it will give 7 full charges to a phone.

31-Mar-22
Love my Anker. Lasts forever and zero issues.

31-Mar-22
Rut but I’ve got that same one and find it to work fine for my purposes - usually using it 2-3 days at a time and leaving it in the sun when I can

01-Apr-22
Sounds good-thanks Kyle!

06-Apr-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I think this one will work great for me! Comes with a short charging cord that reverses to charge both my headlamp and InReach. Tried it out today to recharge my headlamp and phone and it still had over 75% charge. I also like the built-in flashlight as a backup.

19-May-22
Well, I did a test on the recharging of my power bank by solar(only)...............after 7 days (not all days were sunny) it got a little above 25% charged. But it was enough to recharge my phone to 80%. So it will work well in an emergency situation.

19-May-22
Oh, forgot to mention................I tested it out a few weeks ago and it will charge my phone, InReach and headlamp one time. That should be all I need.

• Sitka Gear