Inshart 12-May-22
Pete In Fairbanks 12-May-22
Tilzbow 12-May-22
TEmbry 13-May-22
DanaC 13-May-22
WI Shedhead 15-May-22
Pete In Fairbanks 16-May-22
30-Mar-22
The board unanimously supported the closure of unit 23 and part of 26a caribou hunting august 1- September 30 by nonresident hunters And yes I’m one of the guys booked for this fall out of kotzebue. Unreal

30-Mar-22
Total bullshit! Hell, 98% of that country is not even hunted by anyone! Woke bullshit!

31-Mar-22
To clarify that’s federal land in certain areas of 23 and 26 are closed to caribou for Non-Federal Qualified subsistence hunters.

So it also excludes Alaskans who don’t live in that area. State lands are still open

03-Apr-22
It will now be interesting to hear from those on Bowsite who loudly beat the drum about how having lands be in federal control is so much better than when they are managed by the individual states!

Pete

03-Apr-22
Hey guys, I am booked for the Fall 2023 hunt. Did they say if it was for 2022 or any number of years?

03-Apr-22
2022 and 2023. I’ve been told Thiers appeals being filed due to some potential overstepping of thier jurisdiction. We’ll see

11-May-22
Pete,

The state of Alaska wildlife board voted to close the season is that not correct?

11-May-22
Federal subsistence board I thought

11-May-22

Tilzbow's Link
Yooper,

You’re correct, it was the Fed’s.

11-May-22
Federal overreach yet again. Precedent has been set so now the proposals are popping up more and more. There’s a federal subsistence board vote for sheep in the brooks…. Subsistence…. For sheep….. No logic or reasoning behind these decisions other than flexing of power and preferential treatment of certain user groups over others.

11-May-22
Total BS.

12-May-22
I hunted that area in 2004 , it was a place With abundance of game and it was one of my favorite hunts .

12-May-22
Total Bull Shit!!!!, Hopefully those with a financial investment will get reimbursed.

12-May-22
Tilzbow,

No, this was not something done by the Alaska Board of Game. It was an illegal action taken by the Federal Subsistence Board. (Illegal because there was no actual "emergency") The State of Alaska will likely be bringing legal action against the FSB and the feds who run it.

Pete

12-May-22
Pete,

Given the fact there’s a Federal law mandating that wildlife is owned and managed by states I’d bet Alaska has a good case against the sustenance board.

13-May-22
This two year ban will play out long before the state would have any chance of making headway in federal courts stopping this. I just hope they still pursue action to stop future attempts of this nature.

13-May-22
Did someone or a group petition the FSB to close the areas in question or did they just 'decide' to?

15-May-22
As I understand, The local subsistence hunters have been complaining about non locals since the dawn of time. They don’t care for outsiders and see them as a threat, not in anyway a asset to thier communities financial health, and are very happy to do things the way thier ancestors did, which I guess is ok. The thing is Thiers no impact on this herd, harvest numbers wise and is the decision is biologically silly. My opinion is based on research, not first hand. I’ll give you the report after my first trip to this country September 18.

16-May-22
WI Shedhead,

Your research is accurate. If you were here "first hand," you would have arrived at the same conclusion!

Pete

• Sitka Gear