Glunt@work 26-Sep-22
SteveD 27-Sep-22
Duey 29-Sep-22
Buffalo1 29-Sep-22
Buffalo1 02-Oct-22
Glunt@work 02-Oct-22
06-Apr-22

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Trying not to believe it, but here is the link.

Air Bow: A gun that propels a dart using air.

Geez

06-Apr-22
As I read it, not legal during bow season, correct?

06-Apr-22

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
That’s my take on it.

“Allows hunters to use airbows and air rifles during primitive weapons seasons for deer after Nov. 30 on private land.“

06-Apr-22
"In 2020, a bill was introduced to allow the use of airbows in archery season. As you might imagine, the bill didn’t pass. Archery gear is clearly defined as crossbows or vertical bows."

Only a matter of time. Maybe they'll bring back the "pod", too!

06-Apr-22
Midwest, the pod is still allowed here. Just not as many people use it as in the past

06-Apr-22
I agree it is only a matter of time, not much difference than a crossbow.

06-Apr-22
"Midwest, the pod is still allowed here."

wow

06-Apr-22
What is a “pod”?

06-Apr-22
Come on, really,,, you dont know what a pod is

06-Apr-22
They are those Tide soap things you throw in the washing machine right?

—jim

06-Apr-22
HA ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think the airbow, will be legal in many states, in 10 years,,,,, BUT, the crossbow industry, does not want them in the game

06-Apr-22
Just have BATF-E regulate them. Sure they will at some point. Once its used in a domestic they will be on the list. Need a FFL background to buy one then.

JJjr

06-Apr-22
Air gun that shoots bolts or arrows. Won’t be regulated Same as any air rifle

06-Apr-22
Who cares, hunt the way you hunt and let others shoot what they want. I've shot one at cabelas, wouldn't own one .

06-Apr-22
Like you would know, Jim!!

07-Apr-22
the weapon is insane. the name so far off you may as well call it a wheelbarrow. but if it is not legal in a real bow season it really does not matter. if they legalized slingshots in general season it would be stupid too, but not impact archery

the risk obviously is that this insidious thing creeps into bow seasons. then we have an issue the whole concept though is baffling. forget it's allowed.........what kind of guy walks around the woods with that contraption as his weapon of choice when so many other things are available.

spears are legal too in some places.

07-Apr-22
Yup, the camel's nose is in the tent now. Matter of time...

07-Apr-22
Sorry, I still don’t know what a pod is.

07-Apr-22

DanaC's Link
Brent - it's an ancient controversial method of attaching poison 'pods' to arrows.

07-Apr-22
Bow and arrow hunting culture will continue to decline, this has been clear for many years now. Nothing new here.

07-Apr-22
THANKS Brent (and Dana)...............I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn’t know what a “pod” is. ;-)

I was aware of poison arrows being used in the past, just wasn’t familiar with the term.

07-Apr-22
I’d expect nothing less… They also were pro POD back in the day

07-Apr-22
Well, I guess what we need to blame is the absolute hunger for new and better ways of killing animals. Look at how the compound bow industry has grown. When they first came out they were these big hunky heavy 6 wheeled things that made archery easier for the common guy. This was the turning point, more people got into the sport. But the new tech kept growing and the tech with all the gadgets kept growing too. Manufactures are coming to the end of "what else" they can design for compounds so they made the move to xbows, and now you have airbows. The industry has/is killing itself off by overloading the market with the got to have tech. New hunters come in and find it to difficult to find a place to hunt and see trophy deer, don't have the money to buy what they think they need to have to be successful and quit. Hunter numbers are dropping and in ten or so years I feel hunting in some places will be in danger. Low number of hunters the easier for the antis to ban hunting, it's a matter of time.

07-Apr-22
If a guy wants to hunt with a air gun, air gun that shoots arrows, crossgun. I see no problem with it. In fact I think it is cool a guy wants to limit himself to those weapons limitation during a rifle season. Where I do have a problem is when anyone believe and/or starts to try to have these gadgets legalized for use during a archery season. Join your states bowhunting association, support them with your dollars and let them know archery season should stay hand drawn/hand held bows only.

07-Apr-22
Well said John.

07-Apr-22
State associations have battled these thing for years and always lose out to big money.

07-Apr-22
So far CO winning the battle. It seems the CPW is content with only handheld hand drawn bows during archery season. Our state association (CBA) has worked hard to keep it this way.

07-Apr-22
I am a native Mississippian and I hunt in MS

SB 2010 passed the MS Legislature and went to the governor on 4/6. The governor has till the 4/23rd to sign the bill. I do not know the final language of the bill, nor the governor’s position on this proposed law. Hence, the “fat lady” has not sung on this proposed legislation.

PODS- I don’t know if they are legal or not in MS and the legality has always been a gray subject in MS. The POD unit and the drug used, anectine, can be acquired at many bow shops. Not all MS bowhunter use PODS. Using poison to kill a deer would disqualify a deer from P&Y and B&C.

After the results of 2010 are final, I will update my post.

08-Apr-22
Why ar dyou guys so worried about some guy stomping around the woods with a air gun during archery season? How is that going to Affect you? Is he going to shoot your deer? It's just another high tech gadget to hunt with. Don't udeerstand the elitist attitude toward airbow/xbow. I see a lot of xbow hunters on public land walking out of the woods without a deer, they tend to be lazy hunters and not very good hunters to boot. Worry about you and not the other guy.

08-Apr-22
The problem is state agencies seeing all the crap about speed and distance, then deciding generous bow seasons are unnecessary.

08-Apr-22
LBShooter, the problem (for me) is that my BOW hunts are planned around minimal disturbance and deer on natural patterns. Put a bunch of stumbling newbies out there with a crossbow or airbow and no clue about BOW hunting, and now I'm forced to hunt deer like it was GUN season. Escape routes, thick bedding cover, nocturnal deer, everything that sucks about gun season.

Here in MA we (thankfully!) still limit x-bows to those physically, medically unable to draw a bow. Those guys tend not to roam too much. If I wrote the laws nobody would be allowed to crossbow hunt who did not have 15 years of BOW hunting under their belt.

If this brands me as an 'elitist', well, I been called worse ;-)

08-Apr-22
Most of you are far too late to the game.

08-Apr-22
Dana , I understand your concern, however, how's that yahoo going to be any different with a bow in hand. Inexperienced regardless of weapon is going to crate the same situation for you. And let's try to remember your hunting public land, so it's open to all, even the inexperienced hunters. I use to get upset at guys stomping around spooking deer too, but I hunt and want to enjoy myself, not get frustrated, that's why I gave up golf lol.

08-Apr-22
Has been and will forever be a moot point what "we" think or say. The powers that be couldn't care less how deer are killed, they just want/need the herd population managed.

08-Apr-22
"however, how's that yahoo going to be any different with a bow in hand. "

Simple - the yahoos in question are to deleted lazy to learn how to shoot a bow. They just wait for gun season. Give them ez-bows and it's another story.

08-Apr-22
Knowing Wi. it will be right along with the x-bow season, be easier for the 4 yrs olds to get them introduced to a deer kill, no limits with the populous.

08-Apr-22
Well funny you mention Wis. On the Wis Conservation Congress meetings, question forum, for asking for the use of air gun, air bow, during rifle season. As ridiculous as the next question. also included, is the use of a sling shot, for small game.......

The reason is, that young hunters can not access small game, since most land owners, want to keep the woods quiet, for their deer hunting,,,,,,, You can't make this stuff up, I retired my sling shot at 9 years old, for my 410 for squirrel fun,,,,,,

The air bow was defeated in MI, but I can see it, getting its foot in the door in Wisconsin....... No one whines more than crossbow hunters, that is how they got to be used by anyone here.

08-Apr-22
Air bows will be legal in archery season as soon as the manufacturers stuff enough coin in the pockets of corrupt politicians to sponsor the legislation for it. That’s how deer are managed these days. Not by state DNR’s.

09-Apr-22
The crossbow and now the airbow are targeted for one demographic only, the rifle hunter. "Become a 2 season hunter", and "hunt with a familiar platform" are two common mantras that are perpetuated. And then you have Pete Shepley of PSE who very famously stated, when he started to produced crossbows: "A gun goes bang, and a bow goes twang". With a mentality like that, the future of bow hunting has been doomed.

The ATA has promoted crossbows, and now has a former NRA executive as it's President and CEO.

RAVIN Crossbow "Meet Your Next Rifle", they know who their target market is.

Crossbow/Airbow does not introduce new blood into archery, mentoring does.

Game agencies push because they want to sell more licenses.

No one wants to put in the time and effort into becoming proficient at using a hand drawn, hand held bow. You can take a scoped crossbow or airbow out of the box and hit a bullseye at 100 yards within a few shots. Take a look for yourself at the ease of use from the TV show Top Shot during their "archery" episode. They couldn't hit the ocean standing on the beach with a longbow, but with a crossbow, bullseyes within 2-3 shots. And you had Bill Troubridge of Excalibur crossbows saying "The hardest thing about using a crossbow, is cocking it."

Just because the government had declared crossbows as archery tackle to fall under Pittman Robinson, does not make it archery, the same goes for an airbow, should the waters get muddy. Remember, the government also declared ketchup as a vegetable!

I have been in this fight for over 2 decades, and will continue to fight ANY superior implement that attempts to compromise the integrity of the archery season.

It was established that it takes longer to kill a deer with a hand drawn, hand held bow than with a firearm, that is why archery seasons are before firearm seasons, when the deer are calmer, and are longer in length, to get an opportunity to have a deer come into bow range, which BTW, the national average bowkill is 15 yards.

09-Apr-22
Crossbows have proven ineffective in two regards: posing a detriment to archery seasons as previous observed and being a recruitment windfall for the uninitiated. While I am grateful for the former, it comes at the expense of the latter. We have much bigger fish to fry.

09-Apr-22
Good post Al Dente.

25-Sep-22
I have brought home meat with recurve, compound, crossbow and now plan on using an airbow…… to bad for y’all that don’t like it.

25-Sep-22
Duey. Have you brought home meat from the grocery store?

Wondering how diverse you really are??

25-Sep-22

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
From the MS OUTDOOR DIGEST 2022-2023

I can find nothing about using an air gun on public property.

25-Sep-22
As long as someone is not poaching I could care less what their weapon of choice is.

I remember when compounds came on the scene..it was something new and different...I've never owned a compound but I don't have anything against them.

25-Sep-22
@AlDente….

“I have been in this fight for over 2 decades, and will continue to fight ANY superior implement that attempts to compromise the integrity of the archery season.“

So are you fighting compounds as well, or is twice the FPS and laser rangefinders and 85% let-off and a mechanical not Superior Enough to matter?

26-Sep-22
Airbows may be good for hunting but they are bad for bowhunting. Just like crossbows.

Any bowhunter who lives in a state where you compete to get a tag and sometimes may only get one in your lifetime for some species, if you are lucky, should understand that the things that make bowhunting hard are pillars better left in place instead of chipping away at them.

26-Sep-22
I heard that crossbow hunters are up in arms over this “you’re gonna ruin our archery season!”

26-Sep-22
Airbows and pods, everything is legal in Mississippi.

26-Sep-22
Guys need to quit bitchin and whining about who uses what, and come together as hunters.

26-Sep-22
RK…. I knew I could make a grown adult whine.

Yes, I buy meat from the grocery store.

26-Sep-22
My land… I can do whatever is legal.

26-Sep-22
My land… I can do whatever is legal.

26-Sep-22
Sarcasm duey. You are wrapped to tight. Lmao!

26-Sep-22
"Guys need to quit bitchin and whining about who uses what, and come together as hunters."

Agreed. I say that every time I see people bitchin and whining to get stuff other than bows into bow season.

27-Sep-22
Glunt@work +1.

29-Sep-22
RK…. Like a cocked crossbow! lol

29-Sep-22
ILBowhntr,

Please show me MS statue or regulation where a pod is legal to use in Mississippi.

Thanks

02-Oct-22
Where's ILBowhntr? You out there? Awaiting your response.

02-Oct-22
I dont think there is a statute saying they are legal. There just isn't one saying they aren't.

I hunted MS once with a guy who used them. Staying at his house, he panicked one morning because he was sure he had put them on the kitchen counter before bed with his wallet, keys, etc. and they were gone. He had a toddler in the house.

We found them in a pack but it scared the crap out of him and that was the last he ever used them.

• Sitka Gear