blackbear62 13-May-22
Mike Ukrainetz 13-May-22
'Ike' (Phone) 13-May-22
Mt. man 13-May-22
blackbear62 24-May-22
blackbear62 03-Jun-22
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Jun-22
10-Apr-22
I know a lot of guys on here have hunted with Mike. I just heard that his Dad passed away yesterday at 85 yrs young. He fell and broke his hip the other day and his heart gave out during surgery. His Mom passed away a week and a half ago. There will be a double funeral. Initially there was a Celebration of Life for Pat this Tuesday evening with internment the next day. Not sure of details yet. Ehor was such a hoot with his stories around a campfire. Those of you that pray please keep Mike and family in yours. Thanks

10-Apr-22
So sad to hear that! Many thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Ukrainetz family!

10-Apr-22
Prayers for sure. What a tough time for Mike. I am sure he had many blessings each day with his Mom and Dad for many many decades.

10-Apr-22
Prayers, comfort and condolences sent. Sorry to hear this. May God bless and keep them all in His hands.

10-Apr-22
God bless Mike and family.

10-Apr-22
Condolences from here.

10-Apr-22
Prayers to the entire Ukrainetz family!

10-Apr-22
God bless.

10-Apr-22
Prayers sent.

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss Mike!

10-Apr-22
Sorry to hear this sad news, Prayers and condolences for Mike.

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss Mike. Thoughts are with you and your family.

10-Apr-22
Never met mike but he seems like one of bowsites finest. Will definitely be thinking about him & his family.

10-Apr-22
Condolences and prayers for the family.

10-Apr-22
Prayers for the family.

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family. Mark

10-Apr-22
Prayers for all of them!! It's so hard!!

10-Apr-22
Prayers sent...

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss, Mike.

10-Apr-22
Prayers

10-Apr-22
Very sorry for your families loss Mike, hope you can find solace that your parents are together again and they don't have to live apart.

10-Apr-22
My son Matt and I were Mike and Jens first hunters at their new Spirit River Lodge in August 2006. Mikes Mom, Dad and brother Phil were there as well to celebrate the new venture. A proud family for sure. Lots of Love. Sorry to hear this Mike. Prayers..

10-Apr-22
Yes. Prayers to those left behind.

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss, Mike.

10-Apr-22
Thankfully, Mike has an awesome family and great friends to support him!

10-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss Mike. Your Mom and Dad did not have to live apart long, and hopefully that is a blessing and a comfort.

10-Apr-22
Condolences Mike, you had amazing parents. Their legacy lives on!

10-Apr-22
Condolences.

10-Apr-22
Sorry for you loss Mike.

10-Apr-22
Condolences to you and your family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

11-Apr-22
Condolences

11-Apr-22
Prayers sent from PA......................................

I was thinking the same thing, Ambush! Amazing how God works sometimes...................

11-Apr-22
Sorry to hear this Mike, condolences.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss Mike.

11-Apr-22
Sorry to hear about your loss Mike. You were lucky to have your parents for so long, that is a blessing. Prayers from MT for you and your family.

11-Apr-22
Our condolences to the family.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your families loss Mike...

11-Apr-22
So very sorry to hear this Mike, prayers to you and your family.

11-Apr-22

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Ehor Ivan Ukrainetz, 1936 to 2022
Ehor Ivan Ukrainetz, 1936 to 2022
Thanks Gun for the post and thanks guys for the nice comments. He was my Hero, tough as nails, an old school woodsman. This pic is from 1975.

11-Apr-22
Thoughts and prays bud

11-Apr-22
Mike, so sorry to hear this, god bless!

ElkNut/Paul

11-Apr-22

1982, I’m the long haired punk, teenager in the camo spray painted jacket and jeans, my hunting clothes for the day. My Dad is in his hunting clothes too, shorts, rubber boots and no shirt. He could resist the cold like no man. He would leave camp in the morning and hike and hike, staying out all day usually, have a nap, kill a grouse for lunch, cook it over a fire and come back to camp in the dark with no headlamp. No compass, no map, just follow his nose. Occasionally he got a bit lost but it didn’t phase him.

11-Apr-22
Condolences Mike. What a tough time for your family.

11-Apr-22
Sorry to hear about your loss Mike. Sounds like you’ve got lots of good memories. Will be praying for you and your family.

11-Apr-22
Condolences on the loss of both your parents. Sounds like your Dad was quite a guy. Prayers for your family.

11-Apr-22
Prayers sent north to you and Jen and your family Mike.

I was fortunate to meet Phil and hear some of the legendary mountain hunting stories about your Father when I hunted with you.

Mark

11-Apr-22
Our condolences to the family.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss, condolences to your family and prayers sent.

11-Apr-22
Mr. Ehor Ivan Ukrainetz, of Calgary, passed away at the age of 85 years. Ehor is survived by his children: Teresa, Paul, Veronica, Michael, Nadia, and Philip, and their spouses, Jerry, Susan, Jen, Kevin, and Sandra; his grandchildren, Katya, Graham, Sean, Neil, Brooke, Tyler, Lukas, Jake, Noah, NoahD, Sadie, Kate, Josh, Amy, and Sarah; and his sisters Evelyn Walsh and Claudia (and Walter) Gardner. Ehor was preceded very recently in death by his beloved wife, Patricia. Ehor was born in Edmonton, Alberta, to Nancy (Shavchook) and Michael Ukrainetz.

He grew up in prairie towns north of Edmonton where his father was a teacher and principal, and graduated from high school in Peace River. Ehor earned a B.A. in English Literature from the University of Alberta and started on his B.Ed., but left to join the navy as lieutenant in the instructor's branch. He was stationed in Victoria where he met Patricia Rooney, newly arrived from England. They were married July 8, 1961, and honeymooned at a fishing camp in the Okanagan. They started their family with Max the dog and Inky the cat. Teresa soon arrived and had her first camping trip at 1 month of age - Pat carrying her and Ehor pushing the stroller piled with camping gear. In 1963, Ehor and Pat moved back to Edmonton, where Ehor finished his degree and began his teaching career. Paul, Veronica, and Mike then expanded the family. In 1967, Ehor decided it was time to explore new terrain, and the family moved to Calgary, where Nadia and Phil were born.

Calgary's foothills and mountains satisfied Ehor, and he settled into teaching English at Saint Mary and then Saint Francis high schools. He preferred the non-academic track where he embedded his stories into his lessons and many a student found his way onto hunting trips and to the Ukrainetz dinner table. Ehor loved the natural world. Fishing, bird hunting, field trialing, bowhunting, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, canoeing, camping, hiking, birdwatching from his hunting tree stand, old-timers hockey, all critters, and in his last years, gardening and walking with his dogs in off-leash areas - Ehor treasured any reason to be active outdoors. He could climb a mountain with a huge pack, swim a rapid after a canoe spill in the Arctic, and likely even wrestle a grizzly bear. At the same time, Ehor was a gentle soul, a storyteller, a reader, and a thinker. Ehor was never without a dog. He had many but each was special.

Ehor also loved having his kids on his adventures: "Don't get a summer job - you will work all your life - come camping with me." He made it work with Pat's careful budgeting and his own resourceful management of equipment and vehicles. Perhaps the pinnacle achievement was the ancient GMC van: he added insulation and wood paneling, home-made table, and a steel bumper with winch; as pieces fell off, he made plastic windows and ski pole grips for door handles, and bolted broken doors shut. Ehor was a firm adherent to free range parenting. Kids accompanied him as soon as they could keep up, look after themselves, and, if they got tired, find their back to the vehicle on their own. His children grew up to be self-reliant outdoor adventurers and passed on his passions to their children.

Mountain man Dad will be dearly missed by his children and the many others who shared in his epic adventures. As his ever-patient wife Pat would say, life with Ehor is never boring! Pat called Ehor home 10 days after her. Ehor and Pat are together now, yin and yang, a whole greater than the sum of their parts. Our family is grateful to Amica Aspen Woods for providing a home for Dad and Mom in their last year. A double funeral mass will be held at on April 13, 11am with a prayer celebration on April 12, 7pm, both at Holy Spirit Catholic Church (10827 24 St SW). In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent for support of the people of Ukraine to Caritas (https://www.caritas.org/ukraine-appeal-22/).

11-Apr-22

Canmore, Alberta moose 1970
Canmore, Alberta moose 1970
A tribute to my Dad that I set up in our hunting lodge. I did the color pencil drawing of him several years ago. He hunted with a longbow a lot too. It was just easier to carry around, he wasn’t too concerned if he got something or not.
A tribute to my Dad that I set up in our hunting lodge. I did the color pencil drawing of him several years ago. He hunted with a longbow a lot too. It was just easier to carry around, he wasn’t too concerned if he got something or not.
He killed this moose in Canmore, Alberta in 1970 with a recurve. It was probably one of the first few animals killed in the newly created bow and arrow only zone. My Dad was one of the guys in the Alberta Bowhunters Association responsible for helping create the archery pre-seasons that we now enjoy across the province. He was an ABA president for awhile.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss Mike. Sounds like you were blessed to have him as a father though.

11-Apr-22
Sorry to hear of your lose but what great memories you must have. Sounds like he was a awesome dad. I like the tribute you put together.

11-Apr-22
Prayers to you and your family Mike! May our heavenly father provide comfort during this difficult time.

11-Apr-22
What a stud. You must be proud to be his son. Those were some cool pics Mike. Awesome memories.

11-Apr-22
Wow what an outdoorsman! Thanks for sharing some pics and stories. Prayers for your family.

11-Apr-22
Thanks for sharing the stories of your family. RIP Ehor and Pat

11-Apr-22
So sorry to hear this. My condolences.

11-Apr-22
All of us who enjoy bowhunting seasons in Alberta owe him a debt of gratitude. Condolences to Mike, and the entire Ukrainetz family, on the loss of their Mother/Grandmother and Father/Grandfather.

11-Apr-22

Me, my kids and my mom about10 years ago.
Me, my kids and my mom about10 years ago.
My Mom was an unbelievable, support system dedicated to the family. Here she is dropping me and my kids off for another canoe trip. She used to do this all the time when we were kids with my Dad as the leader, and 4-6 of us kids along for one to three week canoe trips. He would have an approximate pickup day, not approximate time. She would patiently wait, no cell phone in some wilderness or campground pick up spot.

11-Apr-22
Prayers to your family, Mike.

11-Apr-22
Your mom and dad sound like many of ours that got us involved in the outdoors! Prayers sent for your family.

11-Apr-22
What a fitting remembrance, condolences to your family.

11-Apr-22
Sorry to hear.

11-Apr-22
Prayers from Iowa, Mike.

11-Apr-22
Mike, very sorry for your loss.

11-Apr-22
Sad to lose one parent let alone two. Prayer sent.

11-Apr-22
Sorry for your loss…….prayers sent from Illinois.

12-Apr-22
Thanks again guys for all of your kind comments. It really does help a guy get through this knowing other people care, even if I don’t know many of these people. Bowsite is such a great community!

12-Apr-22
Mike, You had awesome parents that you will always miss and be proud of! Great way to be raised too!

13-Apr-22
What great pictures Mike.

16-Apr-22
Mike, I am from the states and have never hunted with you but your Mom and Dad are a true inspiration. What a wonderful couple and the best generation in my opinion. Back when people did more with less and left the world better than they found it. God bless your family and thank you for sharing those precious memories here for us to be part of. All the best.

16-Apr-22
Another state-sider here, saying thanks for sharing this with us, Mike.

16-Apr-22
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Without a doubt two wonderful and very special people.

Thank you Mike.

16-Apr-22
Thoughts and prayers to the family Mike. What a great tribute. Sounds like an awesome adventure growing up in that family. I'm sure they're proud to see their son carrying it on.

Take care and God Bless.....

17-Apr-22
Prayers.

17-Apr-22

Our six siblings and four of our cousins at the Celebration of Life dinner. Lots of tears and lots of laughs. Thanks guys!
Our six siblings and four of our cousins at the Celebration of Life dinner. Lots of tears and lots of laughs. Thanks guys!
Thanks again everyone! I truly had amazing parents. As sawpilot75 said, “Back when people did more with less and left the world better than they found it.” Such a great way to put it! They raised 6 of their own kids on a teachers salary with a stay at home Mom who later went back to be a school teacher too. I say six of their own because we had so many people come up to us at the funeral and say what a big influence my mom and dad were on their lives too. They helped raise a whole village I think? 54 years in the same house.

17-Apr-22
My condolences to you and your family Mike. As you and your siblings knew, they were awesome parents, but as you hear from others even outside of your family it must be comforting to know your parents influenced so many others throughout their lives. So special to hear those stories and as much as it hurts that they are not physically here anymore, it’s comforting to know that their spirit lives on with so many others that were influenced by them. God Bless.

17-Apr-22
Very sorry to hear this. Prayers for Mike and his family.

17-Apr-22
Prayers for you and your family, Enjoy the great memories of your parents.

18-Apr-22
Prayers for Mike and family!

18-Apr-22
Beautiful remembrance Mike. Condolences to you and your family. Wonderful people…

19-Apr-22
My condolences Mike. You are very fortunate to have so many great memories to look back on with your family. They will never be forgotten.

19-Apr-22
My condolences Mike, great pictures!

19-Apr-22
Prayers to you and your family.

13-May-22

13-May-22
Thanks Mark. It’s sad to not be able to talk to them anymore. They were one of my biggest supporters.

13-May-22
Sorry to hear this Mike...

13-May-22
Prayers from Idaho!

24-May-22

03-Jun-22

03-Jun-22
Thanks Mark for taking the time to send condolences. It’s strange every day for me that I can no longer talk to them. My parents always loved to hear about my Outfitting adventures!

• Sitka Gear