Jaquomo 02-May-22
Vaquero 45 03-May-22
BowJangles 15-May-22
12-Apr-22

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
valentines pups
valentines pups
Tis the season for Polar reports- After 2 years of closures many have had the opportunity to finally hunt the High Arctic for bears.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances who had gone in the past and was inspired by their experiences. Also was able to get valuable information to prep.

I went through Shane Black at Canada North Outfitting. He has a number of options and prices for locations, but trusted him to put me in the best location and guides. He did not disappoint. One advantage is they are a complete all inclusive package. With my hectic schedule this spring and the pace of Arctic communications, We set a date for the hunt, to be out of Resolute Bay, Nun, CA.

Another hunter had cancelled last minute, and I got a discount on the hunt to go at those times. Right up to the hunt I had my hands full of puppies, our Black Lab had given birth to 9 pups on Valentines day!

12-Apr-22
Oh, boy!

12-Apr-22

Iqaluit Airport
Iqaluit Airport
First learning experience- travel to and from the High Arctic takes time!

Most all air traffic goes through Ottawa to Iqaluit. So east coasters have it a bit easier. So starting on Sunday, March 27 here is my trip-

Day 1- Anchorage to Chicago (red eye)

Day 2- Chicago- Toronto- Ottawa. Check into hotel booked by Outfitter, meet with representative who also supplied cold weather gear. Met up with another hunter who had already lost a day to a flight delay. Flights up North do not go everyday!

Day 3- Delayed flight Ottawa- Iqaluit, Change airplanes, Iqaluit- Pond Inlet- Arctic Bay- Resolute Bay

12-Apr-22

pond inlet
pond inlet
turbo prop fueling up
turbo prop fueling up
I sat next to the other hunter on the flights North. Part of the neat thing on these trips are the chance encounters you make with others. He has hunted the world, and shared many stories. We also talked teeth since he is an orthodontist and I'm a general dentist.

12-Apr-22

airport
airport
inside the airport- a good sign
inside the airport- a good sign
Day 4- That morning the wind was blowing, and visibility poor on the sea ice. Would be a weather day. The hotel was nice, food included. I ran into 2 bowhunters on their way to Grise Fiord. They had been delayed :) seems to be the theme here!

Resolute Bay- A brief history dates back to the Cold War- a weather station and an airstrip were built in 1947 to assert sovereignty for Canada in the region. In 1953 there were forced relocations of Inuit and a community was established there and Grise Fiord. Many modern Polar expeditions start from this location.

Another couple staying at the hotel were from Spain/Germany and had done many Arctic expeditions. They were planning to spend a month ski-touring self supported around Ellesmere island! talk about hard core, and they were in their 60s

12-Apr-22

Arctic fox behind the hotel
Arctic fox behind the hotel
Day 5- Hopes to go out were dashed again due to visibility issues.

The hunters going to Grise Fiord made it out- but their luggage didn't!

A rifle hunter was heading back and I got his recap. He passed up a great bear on his first day, because it was too early he said! Needless to say it took him 9 more days on the ice to find one as big again, a beautiful 9'+ bear! The good news he did see plenty of bears. He also got a nice Musk Ox.

I was not going to be nearly so picky. I had spoken to a recent super slammer who I met in Mexico on a Coues hunt, Ned. He had to make two trips to get his Polar bear. My other friends who went in 2019 took 10 days on the the ice to fill their tags on medium sized bears.

Also my research showed and my previous thread on Boone- and Crockett Polar bears revealed that it hasn't been done- the world record P&Y polar bear Does NOT qualify for B&C

12-Apr-22
At least the food is good and plentiful at the Resolute Bay hotel.

12-Apr-22

target practice
target practice
During my down time I rigged up a target to test my shooting skills. Ned had recommended I bring a portable target. I decided not to pack one in my limited space since I didn't know how much space and weight the cold weather gear was going to take.

I opted for more gear, and a back up bow instead of the target. Turned out to be a mistake! I should have listened to Ned. I had extra gear I didn't use, and didn't shoot my bow as much as I should.

I rigged up a snow bank to shoot into, but over the course of the trip I lost a couple arrows.

12-Apr-22

pooper
pooper
Day 6 AM- I was getting antsy... loosing hunting days is never fun. I was on a self imposed timeline. For the first time in over 20 years my wife was a bit mad at me for taking off for a multi week hunting trip- the difference this time was 9 cute little poopies :) lots of poop and work, and she was planning a ladies trip and wanted me home.

I had promised her I had a good feeling about the hunt and to not worry, I would be back before she was to leave on the girls trip, and I would take care of our teenage kids and poopers.

With weather days piling up I was cutting it closer

12-Apr-22

ice shanty
ice shanty
Day 6 PM- Finally got the call- weather was looking good and time to head out! I re packed my bags and left a duffle of things at the hotel. Off to the ice to load up for the ride out to the dog team.

We loaded up into what I will call an ice Shanty! a combo canvas plywood shelter on a sled pulled by the ski-doos.

12-Apr-22
This is going to be awesome keep the pictures and story coming!

12-Apr-22
Looking very familiar! Looking forward to the hunt report!

13-Apr-22
Epic! I'm looking forward to the rest! Thanks for sharing.

13-Apr-22
So far so good! Keep it coming!!!

13-Apr-22
Dang good reading.

I'm jealous,

Robb

13-Apr-22
This is awesome.

13-Apr-22
Good stuff Phil!

13-Apr-22
Great so far. Keep it coming!

13-Apr-22
Good read, always enjoy seeing pics of hunting expeditions / places that I will most likely never go on / to.

13-Apr-22
A good start for us. Not so much for you. Looking forward to it.

13-Apr-22
Looking forward to reading the rest of your adventure.

13-Apr-22

Packing the sea Shanty

13-Apr-22

Guides
Guides
Meeting the guides- I found out I would have an extra “apprentice “ guide this trip. I knew it was a good sign when he showed up in Polar Bear pants!

His name was Devon and at 21 was an awesome kid, very accomplished and professional. He has a team of dogs and will be guiding a couple hunts next year.

Those who have experienced the Arctic know the Inuit culture, a very happy, soft spoken people, usually of little words, that move at their own pace. The head guide was David, and was a man of little words but lots of experience 30 yrs + of guiding. Jaime the long time assistant always had a huge smile and would tell us what the plan was. Devon is the modern Inuit with respect and mastery of the old traditions, but a more western pattern of speech and engagement, and technology. I was lucky he became the de facto photographer.

13-Apr-22

breakfast in bed
breakfast in bed
Day 7 AM- we wake up to - White out conditions!

We need visibility to hunt bears. If we head out and can't see far, then we could move right past a bear without knowing its there. the advantage humans have over the bears is sight- you can glass them on the horizon before they know you are near. If its low vis, then they can smell or hear you and move away before you see them.

nice an warm in the shanty and the stove going

13-Apr-22
At least you didn't have to suck exhaust fumes riding in those shacks! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

13-Apr-22
What an adventure!

13-Apr-22
I actually rode on the back of a ski-doo when traveling. Very bumpy ride in the shanty and no views. So I got my fair share of exhaust :(

13-Apr-22

glassing for bears
glassing for bears
Day 7- later in the AM- Finally the weather clears and David says its time to head out. We ready the dogs and pack up the caravan- at times it felt like we were on a frozen desert. The dog team moves at a slower pace than the mechanized transport. We would leap forward and stop and glass from any vantage point for bears. The further we went, the more tracks we saw.

13-Apr-22
What an adventure is right!

13-Apr-22

warm gear
warm gear
Day 7- Devon was a wealth of information and easy to talk to.

The bears are constantly moving hunting for seals. The seals lived under the ice and make breathing holes that they keep open all winter. Snow will cover the top so they are hard to see, but the bears can smell them some how. If its an active hole they may lay in ambush till they hear/smell a seal come up, then dive head first into the hole to grab the seal.

Also female seals will make dens or liars in the snow mounds to have pups (think of a beaver hut they access from under the water) That is why broken ice and pressure ridge areas often have bears. They are hunting for the hidden snow caves with baby seals in them.

Seal populations and subsequently the Polar Bears are doing great in this area.

13-Apr-22
Looks awesome I want to see the polar bear pants!

13-Apr-22

sled team
sled team
Day 7- PM

We covered quite a few miles with no bear sightings. We did cut the tracks of a couple bears. Jamie said to be patient, to not be too anxious- the bear will show himself when he is ready.

David called it a day, the dogs had made a good run, and it was time to make camp.

13-Apr-22

Devon in the spotter with polar bear pants
Devon in the spotter with polar bear pants
guide David looking on
guide David looking on
Day 7- PM

We set about making camp for the night. Positioned the shanties for the prevailing wind. and started to get the dogs chained. Jaime and Devon decided to take a look west where we were planning to go the next day.... and said they think there was a bear.....

I got my spotter out and indeed, saw my first Polar Bear! I don't have a good picture of the Pants- this one shows them- seal skin waist and cuffs, said they were hot pants! All self made, hunted and dried.

13-Apr-22

on the horizon
on the horizon
Day 7-PM

We actually came up with 3-4 Bears! one looked to be a sow and cub, the other was off to the side and looked bigger.... big enough to take a closer look.

they were far out on the horizon, the cold was hard to get my phone scope on and standing on a shakey box and wind didn't help for a steady long picture

13-Apr-22
Keep it coming!!!

Mark

13-Apr-22
Awesome adventure... Ed F

14-Apr-22

Polar bear!
Polar bear!
The bear was moving around but we got a good enough look at it to know it was a mature boar. The consensus was it was one we should go after! The dogs needed a rest so we kept an eye on the bear

I got my bow set up and took a few practice shots- still not perfect, and I wish I had that target. This is where I lost a couple arrows.

14-Apr-22
Exciting!

Robb

14-Apr-22
Hopefully the white will have a red stain on it. "May your bow bend quiet, and your arrow fly true".

14-Apr-22
That photo is incredible Phil. I love it.

14-Apr-22
Fun! Come on, I can't wait forever. I have to get outside and watch the snow melt!

14-Apr-22
Great story telling and pictures. Adventure hunt for sure.

14-Apr-22
I've seen some pretty cool photos. hehe

14-Apr-22
What a great story, keep it coming!!! Thank you for sharing.

14-Apr-22
That bear pic is badass.

14-Apr-22
Skip a couple cavity fillings, (they will still be there on the next visit) and let hear how this hunt ended ;)

14-Apr-22
Day 7- later PM

The bear was starting to walk away from us, so it was time to head out!

14-Apr-22
The assistant guides were to stay back until we got close to the bear. They could then support from the snow machine if needed. As mentioned Devon was able to take the excellent photos of the chase!

14-Apr-22

chase
chase
Day 7- still

The pace of the sled was consistent, though not fast. It felt like a boat going through water.

the bear was on "flat" ice- and it turned out to make the chase longer and harder. David said in broken ice with mounds and bergs the bear will more likely bay up sooner.

14-Apr-22
Very cool! Keeping bringing it!!!

14-Apr-22

Closing the distance
Closing the distance
Over an hour into it we caught up to the bears tracks. You could tell the difference in the dogs pulling when they knew we were on the hunt!

That said they were still tired after a full days work. The musher will often run along side the sled to help in areas and to turn the team. This was a big work out for David!

Finally we closed the distance and the bear was slowing a bit, David released his best bear dog to see if the bear would engage- it didn’t but kept going due to the flat ice.

14-Apr-22

“Drinking”
“Drinking”
The chase went on.

You could see the breath on the bear, it was slowing but not stopping. The bear would eat snow for water. The dogs too- they never get “water” all winter but eat enough snow to hydrate

14-Apr-22

And on-

we were down one dog, so I was alternating with David on running along side the sled to help them out. Talk about a work out! My heart rate was pumping

14-Apr-22

And on

14-Apr-22

And on

14-Apr-22
Crazy exciting!! Great pics!

14-Apr-22
Wow those last few pictures are something!

14-Apr-22
x2 Ambush. I've been watching this all day for updates and WildWilderness didn't disappoint. It's crazy how much bigger the bear looks with some scale added in.

14-Apr-22
Wow! What an adventure! Keep it coming!

14-Apr-22

Day 7 even later-

With daylight slipping it was time to take a chance, David released the dogs and we ran to catch up

14-Apr-22
Your pictures are fantastic!

14-Apr-22

Thanks to Devon Manik for the pictures!!

The Bear stopped briefly with the dogs

14-Apr-22
Awesome pictures!!! Keep em coming!

14-Apr-22
Wow some crazy cool pictures here. This is an unbelievable type hunt

14-Apr-22

Out of breath
Out of breath
We started running to the bear- I was a bit concerned when the guide dropped his rifle- too heavy. We were sucking wind

14-Apr-22
How do you get a photos of the bear between the sled and photographer. Looks So close. Insane. Awesome. Instant bowsite classic

14-Apr-22
The assistant guides were supporting off to the side and got the angles of the chase

14-Apr-22
WOW!!!! Unbelievable......fantastic photos.

14-Apr-22

final shot
final shot
I was out of breath, the dogs were milling around the bear- Then the bear started running away again! David says shoot! the bear wasn't going to stop! did not matter where. Needless to say quickly ranged and shot-- too quick! I didn't think to lead the moving bear....

My brain had switched into survival mode my aim and shot process out the door. My first shot hit back- low in the ham, but drew lots of blood. The dogs smelled blood, the bear visibly hesitated. I shot another- this time it was way low? My next two I don't even recall..... one missed and the other connected somewhere mid body.

The bear had stopped moving and the dogs finally keeping it at bay. I shed the outer coat and had time to compose myself. I made a good frontal shot, then the bear turned and another chest shot (which should have been my first) finished it off immediately....

(should have brought that target like Ned said, for more practice in the gear and cold)

14-Apr-22

It was done

14-Apr-22
WOAH! This one didn't disappoint! Very well done.

14-Apr-22
Unbelievable....what an adventure. Congrats to you

14-Apr-22
Massive. Great call not to give him another year!

14-Apr-22

Respect

14-Apr-22

Since this is a public forum I have to protect on some of the color photos. Don’t want to end up like the dentist who killed Cecil the Lion.

14-Apr-22

Broken maxillary canine
Broken maxillary canine
I did figure out why he kept running- he had a huge broken tooth and didn’t want to see the dentist! Haha

14-Apr-22
That did not disappoint! Amazing photos!

14-Apr-22

The work part of the kill
The work part of the kill
Day 7 - can you still believe it!

With how late it was getting and the dogs tired out, the assistant guides went back and got the shanties and camp while I helped David skin and quarter the bear.

Finally dinner and bed

14-Apr-22
Congratulations on a great adventure and a super bear

14-Apr-22
What an adventure, spectacular photos, and something few will ever experience. Congrats, and thanks for taking us along!

14-Apr-22
Fantastic all the way around. Congratulations to you!

14-Apr-22
Wow you had an amazing hunt! Congrats!

14-Apr-22
What a special adventure, congratulations Phil!

14-Apr-22
Does this thread have to end. What else can you share. Riveting. More photos. What will you do with the hide. Keep telling a story. It does not even have to be true. We just want more

14-Apr-22
Amazing adventure! Congrats on the effort and accomplishment. I can only imagine. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

14-Apr-22
A great story and follow along and enjoyed it. Understand the kill rate being supportable, but don't think I could do that. Number one money , and just don't seem right.

14-Apr-22
Incredible thanks for sharing!

14-Apr-22
Seems right to me. Congratulations! Cool big adventure!

14-Apr-22
Awesome adventure and story. Thanks for sharing

14-Apr-22
It's not just a hunt....it's an expedition. GREAT job on the camera by Devon....you'll treasure those photos for the rest of your life. Was Devon able to film any of the actual hunt/chase? Can any of it be shared here? ....might have been too busy keeping an eye on the dogs. Thank you very much for sharing (text as well as the photos)......I know how much of a distraction it can be at times.....but it sure gets the blood pumping (and brings back memories for many of us)!!! Bojangles leaves in about three weeks for his bear hunt.....I'll bet that he has reread this thread ten times already!!!

14-Apr-22
Great photos and story!!! An adventure like no other! My most memorable hunt of many great adventures.

Looks like it wasn't that horribly cold?

David and Jamie have aged in 4 years since I was up there! You got the bear quickly...mine took until day 11 of the 10 day hunt. But those two guys were great to camp and hunt with! David was a pretty fair cook too.

14-Apr-22
Congrats friend!!!

14-Apr-22
After following these posts I can't believe how "tame" the bears are!

14-Apr-22
How big was he?

14-Apr-22
Absolutely incredible. That photography though. Amazing! Congrats on your adventure!

14-Apr-22
Outfrikenstanding... congratulations. Ed F

15-Apr-22
I was very lucky on the weather the days we were on the ice it with an average of about 0 • F. The locals were sweating

15-Apr-22

Melting snow for drinking water
Melting snow for drinking water
Day 8 AM

I slept well that night! David said it would take about 2 days to get back to Resolute. We packed up camp and started the trek back.

Part of the mornings on the ice involves melting snow for our drinking water. I didn’t drink enough my first day out and got a headache. The cold is incredibly dry as well so I made sure to hydrate every morning.

15-Apr-22

Meat cache
Meat cache
The evidence of the kill was still there the next day. Not much of a blood trail challenge on this one! The red on white is so stark. The blood freezes fast.

We packed the meat and headed out. I sent an inReach message to the outfitter that we had connected and we’re heading back.

15-Apr-22

Looking back at the sea ice
Looking back at the sea ice
Day 8- midday

We moved along at dog sled pace til I got a message from the Outfitter- if I could get back to Resolute sooner I could catch a flight out the next day.

As mentioned earlier there are only a few flights each week, and can be delayed. Devon talked with David and came up with a plan to take me back to Resolute then he would go back with an empty sled for the dogs. If all went well we could all sleep in beds that night.

15-Apr-22

Devon’s sled dog pups
Devon’s sled dog pups
Day 8-PM

We made it back to Resolute and stopped by Devon’s dogs. He has a team of about 15, with a new litter of pups as well! He will be ready to guide next year for sure.

My wife was more excited to hear I would be making it home soon, than the fact I got a bear :)

15-Apr-22
Those pictures are absolutely incredible! You were so fortunate to be able to get them. Thanks for sharing your unbelievable adventure! And congrats on a fantastic trophy!

15-Apr-22

Not the broken side
Not the broken side
Day 9 AM

I stopped to say goodbye to the guides, and see the bear one more time.

We were able to roughly measure the bear at 8 1/2’ and the skull around 24-25”. A very nice fat mature boar, with a broken tooth!

I’ll hold out for a Booner once Alaska opens up hunting again ;)

15-Apr-22

Resolute airport
Resolute airport
Day 9- Noon-PM

Flight from Resolute- Iqaluit

All the flights are boarded out side- be sure to be ready for the wind and cold when you walk out!

15-Apr-22

Poutine
Poutine
Day 10

Iqaluit- Ottawa

Having a complete travel package was nice with the outfitter. The travel arrangements, hotels, flight changes were all Made for me.

The US still required the negative Covid test to enter. I brought one of those free tests that you can pay to be certified online- except I didn’t read the instructions before hand. You are supposed to use a laptop or computer- no smartphone to do the video verification. I didn’t have one so luckily the travel coordinator already had me scheduled in Ottawa for the test.

I grabbed dinner across from the pharmacy at a food truck while waiting for the taxi. I like eating at local places and cuisine when I travel. Poutine was on the menu- my first time trying it.

15-Apr-22

Day 11

Ottawa- Chicago-Anchorage

On the last two trips from Canada I was surprised to learn that the US customs was completed at the Canadian Airport. Helps with connections to the final destinations.

I made it into the airport and got the car my wife left there when she flew out that morning- good timing.

I was back on poop pick up duty and placing the last puppy!

15-Apr-22
Wow wow wow, what an amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing with all of us that can only wish and live vicariously through these stories and amazing pictures. Well done.

15-Apr-22
My hell, what a dang good read.

All those photos and vids are like a Documentary.

Congrats man,

Robb

15-Apr-22
Thank you for taking the time to share your total experience with us. IMHO. The pictures are better than a mount or rug.

We usually don’t think of the impact or importance of traveler’s going to regions of the world and spending their money in a way that allows native people to continue their local heritage.

The usual sentiment isthe government needs to hand out money. Off spring move out and the culture dies.

Thank you for allowing those people to make a living doing what they love. And is in their DNA

15-Apr-22
Thank you for sharing. Loved the write up and pics. Incredible journey!

15-Apr-22
The way that you were able to share the entire journey through photos really gave me a different perspective on arctic hunting adventures! Congrats and thanks for sharing! Now Eric will need to bring a professional film crew with him!

15-Apr-22
LOL! I'll be wearing a GoPro, one guide will have my camera and one guide will have my iPhone. I hope that covers all the bases. No way I'll top the photos in this thread! Seeing the chase and the bear from all the different angles was really cool.

15-Apr-22
Incredible adventure! Great bear!! Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

15-Apr-22
What an amazing adventure!!!

Great write ups and incredible pictures, thanks for sharing with us.

Congrats on a great polar bear!

15-Apr-22
Incredible! Absolutely amazing pictures and adventure! Congratulations! Well done!

15-Apr-22
Outstanding adventure! Well done. Brought back a lot of great memories.

15-Apr-22
Well said Altitude!

I remember my first taste of Poutine in Montreal waiting to fly out on a Caribou Hunt.

15-Apr-22
Thanks for the kind words. I have been inspired in my bowhunting journey over the years by contacts I have made here, and hope to give a little back!

15-Apr-22
I’ll throw out some random thoughts-

Not sure on the taxidermy yet- leaning to just have the hide tanned and skull cleaned then stored at a friends lodge in BC. I have no hope they will become importable…..

The natives dislike the the ban as well- it really cuts into their fur trade. They kill lots of polar bears across the Arctic, populations are doing well.

As mentioned trophy hunting definitely supports locals and the traditional ways. Devon said there would be no way he could stay in Resolute and make a living long term without it, or afford the dogs and sled team.

15-Apr-22
Thanks for the story man. That was incredible

15-Apr-22
I think my trip is about as quick as you can do a Polar Bear hunt. I got super lucky with weather and the stars aligning. My original itinerary had 6 more days!

Probably my wife wanting me back was the reason!

I have not heard how the hunters in Grise Fiord did? Anyone know?

I think there are big bears there for sure. Would ad extra travel days and weather…

15-Apr-22
Incredible those photos are crazy!

15-Apr-22
Incredible all around....loved it! Thanks for sharing it here!

15-Apr-22
What a great adventure. Beautiful bear!

15-Apr-22
Agree with BOWUNTER .... Outfrikenstanding ..... The pics / video, almost like Nat-Geo. Well done! The absolute best pics (for me) were the ones showing the bear and you guys with the dogs in the background - WAY beyond cool!

And yes, it DOES seem right .... truly (literally) life supporting to the locals.

15-Apr-22
Thank you again for taking us along.

15-Apr-22
One other thought was how the bear smelt- fishy- sort of a marine scent to it, not like other red meat I have handled.

15-Apr-22
Amazing recap, beautiful photos!

Great that the stars were aligned, for you on this adventure!

15-Apr-22
Can't say anything that hasn't already been said except to ad several !!!!! And a huge congratulations!

Probably the best hunt action pics ever seen on here. I bet you have a pile more pics and vids to keep you excited for a long time to come!!

16-Apr-22
How about a gear re cap. Hat, coat, base layer. Boots, Mittens Did you removed the oil from axels, arrow rest and the release.

16-Apr-22
Wow!! Great trip! Great pics! Great recap! Congratulations. I hope you’re wrong and you can get your bear home someday.

16-Apr-22
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!

Mike

16-Apr-22
That was awesome on a stick..... great story, off the charts photos. Many thinks for taking the time to share it here with us! One hell of an adventure. Congrats. On the bear too.

These stories are what make Bowsite the best. I don't even care what broadhead you used. much....

16-Apr-22
Excellent recap on your arctic adventure and congrats on a great bear!

16-Apr-22
What an awesome adventure! Incredible pics as well! Congrats on your success, and thanks for sharing it with us.

17-Apr-22
Wow thank you so much for sharing that amazing adventure! Awesome pictures and a great write up well done sir and a huge congrats!

17-Apr-22
How do you get a photos of the bear between the sled and photographer. Looks So close. Insane. Awesome. Instant bowsite classic

18-Apr-22
What an awesome adventure and bear. Thank you for taking the time to write this up to share with us. Congrats!!

18-Apr-22

The assistant guides were supporting off to the side and got the angles of the chase

You must have missed this post Bou

18-Apr-22

The assistant guides were to stay back until we got close to the bear. They could then support from the snow machine if needed. As mentioned Devon was able to take the excellent photos of the chase!

and this one

I suspect Devon got a VERY nice tip! ;-)

18-Apr-22
I waited to read this thread until I could sit and do it all at once and it didn't disappoint! Very well told and entertaining with some of the best live action pictures I've seen on Bowsite. If I could get a guarantee to have weather like you had I would consider a trip like this;) Thanks for taking us along on the expedition. Congratulations!

18-Apr-22
Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

19-Apr-22
must have rut. that's the beauty of this site though, everyone has always got someone with a kind soul who has someone else's back. much appreciated.

19-Apr-22
For you guys that have done this hunt. Do you remove the oil from the limb axles and bearing. Arrow rest, etc. What other equipment preps are made

19-Apr-22
Amazing recap and photos!! Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!!!

19-Apr-22
Just back from Easter vacation to finish this up and it did not disappoint! Congratulations and thank you for sharing an adventure that most of us can only dream about.

19-Apr-22
The stories of adventures in pursuit of big game are just the best deal ever. It is truly what bowhunters dream and live for! Fantastic photos and great recap / details. Thanks so much for taking the time to show and share for all of us! It's great to hear the population of Polar Bears are doing well! Adventure awaits, dare to dream it!

19-Apr-22
altitude - never bear hunted there but two muskox trips end of march early april that were colder than those bear hunts it sounded like. did not de-oil anything, but we did make a point not to bring the bow into the shack at night for fear condensation woud freeze when it went out the next day and you'd be screwed. just left bows in hard case out in the snow. no issues.

what those temps due to kill batteries in cameras, phones, rangefinders, etc. is amazing. it can be almost instantaneous

19-Apr-22
Thanks Bou,

19-Apr-22
Wow so incredible, and congratulations! Just had a chance to read this start to finish. Those pics are likely some of the best taken on an arctic hunt!! A guy can say he'll take lots, but when it's that cold and you're on the move with a bear, I'd imagine it's a heck of a lot easier to just focus on hunting. Those photos will be treasures for you in the future, thanks for sharing with us!!

19-Apr-22
I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic Bou.................but you’re welcome! ;-)

26-Apr-22
Amazing. Thank you for sharing your adventure!

26-Apr-22
In response to Altitudes question on equipment on the polar bear hunt:

I went in mid-February and it was a lot colder with extremely short days. -30* to -40* F or C. I did not winterize the bow itself…a Prime Rival. I did however take my Ripcord rest apart and clean it with carburetor or brake cleaner…forget which but it de-oils and cleans them. On rd-assembly I found it was stiff and sluggish so lubricated the bearing area very lightly with Breakfree CLP. It worked well then.

I tested the bow by putting it into the -15*F chest freezer. BC was in a deep freeze then as well so did some shooting with the bow out of the freezer into cold outside temps with a lot of clothes on. No issues so I went hunting.

I also took a spare bow…my old Mathews Drenalin that got similar treatment. Both fit in my Prime Rival soft case. When out on the ice the softcase with the bows never.came into the heated tent ,,,just laid out on the ice next to the tent for the 17 hour nights.

I never took the bow out of the case, put on the Tightspot quiver or pulled the arrows out of the tube until setting up to chase the bear on day 11.

Electronics were kept on the body in chest pockets…iPhone, InReach and spare battery. My phone froze in a knife or two taking bear pictures, as did my pinky finger. Only frostbite I got. Had to give it a jolt with the battery bank to get it going again….battery went from an indicated 80% to 0% when frozen. The guides camera and other guides phone did no better.

02-May-22

I just got word from Devon on his personal hunt- killed a GIANT polar!

02-May-22
WOAH!!!!!!!

02-May-22
WOW! What a picture! : )

02-May-22

A couple inches makes a difference
A couple inches makes a difference
As mentioned in another post on Boone & Crockett bears only 1 has been entered in 22 years.

And of the top 100 bears only 1 was from Nunavut.

Devon said this skull roughly green scores 27” which is B&C min!

Looking at the picture with a Regular 24-25” bear a 27” skull is massively bigger!

A couple inches DOES make a difference! Haha

02-May-22
Especially when it’s cold!!!

Amazing the difference of those two skulls!

02-May-22
Looks like 4" difference in those skulls!

02-May-22
Inches_shmidges. What a great experience that must have been. Thanks for the ride along!

02-May-22
The Arctic is all about adventure. You succeeded in the adventure category. Congrats to a great hunt and great photos to remember it by…

02-May-22
Fantastic! Nothing I can add that hasn't been said. Thank you so much for this.

03-May-22
Heck of a story and thread , big thanks for posting and shareing !

15-May-22
The skull size difference is dramatic!!

• Sitka Gear