Landshark Launcher 13-Apr-22
adobe 13-Apr-22
Cheesehead Mike 13-Apr-22
adobe 13-Apr-22
Landshark Launcher 13-Apr-22
Cheesehead Mike 14-Apr-22
PushCoArcher 14-Apr-22
12-Apr-22
Anyone have or use one of these hammock tents? Thinking bout getting 1 and go deep into the woods to camp/ hunt. Its a lay flat hammock. I think it would be better than a tent on the ground. Thoughts?

12-Apr-22
Be right back. Got to get some popcorn ready.

12-Apr-22
I run a Eno double nest with their eaglesnest outfitter house and love it. Never used a Haven but looking at it the thing is heavy over 7 pounds with a pad. My setup with sea to summit pad is just over 4lbs the. Hammocks aren't for everyone some guy's just can't get a good night's sleep in a hammock no matter what they do. If you've never tried sleeping in one for a few nights definitely give it a run in the backyard or local camping spot and dial it in there's a learning curve. I also use the Eno atlas straps they make setup a breeze and are worth the few extra ounces.

13-Apr-22
As stated above, make sure you can sleep in one before your trip. I couldn't sleep in one to save my life.

13-Apr-22
Been looking at the haven or the ariel a1 tree tent which is a little lighter . But not sure if you can get the ariel right now. Only bad things about the haven that I see is the 7lbs weight. I got a Osprey pack that should handle it well.

13-Apr-22
I’ve used the Hennessy hammock before, one draw back is they are cold on the bottom without some kind of pad. Some people call them Hennessy freezer bags. Comfortable otherwise.

13-Apr-22
Yep, I'm the one who coined the term "Hennessey Freezer Bag". Besides being cold from air circulation, by the time you pack enough gear to keep insulated and dry you've lost the weight advantage. Then there's the issue of trying to bring any gear into the hammock with you or trying to get dressed or undressed in the hammock. Or put your boots on which will have to be left outside to freeze and/or get rained on/in and then you have to step out onto the wet ground in your stocking feet to put your frozen boots on. Unless of course you pack an additional tarp to pitch above the hammock which again cuts into the weight advantage. I found the freezer bag comfortable to sleep in but what if you're trapped in the cocoon for a full day or two because of heavy rain or snow. It's not that easy to get in or out of to relieve yourself and I wouldn't want to have to wrestle with it multiple times if I was trapped in it for extended periods. For me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

13-Apr-22
Gosh, I was trying to be positive, but I had many of those issues also, especially getting out at night.

13-Apr-22
Well I got a haven on the way. I just can't sleep like a banana. I looked at many different ones.

14-Apr-22
I don't mean to be pessimistic, just realistic. I still have my hammock but it's been relegated to warm weather Canadian fishing trips etc. For me it's very comfortable to sleep in if I can stay warm. Although it can be quite an adventure if I've had a few too many beers on those fishing trips ;-)

14-Apr-22
Hammocks definitely sleep colder then a tent. I'm good down to 40 degrees with nothing but my EE 20 degree quilt and base layer if I put on my puffy pants and jacket I can easily stretch that to 30 degrees. Anything lower than that and I bring my EE 0 degree hammock under quilt it's only 28 ounces so not a ton of extra weight. I've run that setup in the low teens and slept comfortably in nothing but my long John's. I will add I do sleep pretty hot typically. Make sure you have a good sleeping bag or quilt rated 10-20 degrees higher than what you're expecting and you can make it work. There are definitely easier ways to do it and probably lighter but for me the quality of sleep I get in a hammock is worth all the down sides. I have spent a few cold/uncomfortable night's in a hammock before I dialed it in.

• Sitka Gear