DanaC 07-Jun-24
nchunter 07-Jun-24
wyobullshooter 07-Jun-24
DanaC 07-Jun-24
nmwapiti 07-Jun-24
BOHNTR 08-Jun-24
Jim Moore 11-Jun-24
14-Apr-22
Any ideas for something just as good but cheaper? I am having a hard time talking myself into spending $55 for footbeds. Most hunts I wear a $100 hiking shoe. I do not think a footbed that cost more then half what my shoe cost is "reasonable"

14-Apr-22
SOLE. There was just a post recently about this. There are always sales.

14-Apr-22
Don. I’ve had problems with My feet for years before I found Super-feet,they worked well but for the price they didn’t last as long as I thought they should. I now use Sole footbed’s in all of my boots and running shoes. They are great I would highly recommend them.

14-Apr-22
Thanks! Where do you buy them? What SOLE do you like for hiking?

14-Apr-22
If you can get some doctor prescribed orthopedic insoles covered by HealthCare, it's the best option of all.

14-Apr-22
Blood talked me into sole, I got one pair to try for my work boots and me feet feel great. Just as good as when I had 350$ custom made orthotics. I got the “black” thick ones with met pads. I’m ordering some for my hiking/hunting boots this weekend. I already ordered a pair for my running shoes and my feet again have never felt so good after a run in a long time.

14-Apr-22
Shoes are generally built flat to accommodate all. An expensive or even cheap boot is only as good as its sole

14-Apr-22
I threw my Sole and Superfeet insoles away.

Get lathrops, they last forever.

14-Apr-22
I get mine at a running store

14-Apr-22
Don, Go find your self something besides a slipper to hunt in! Get a real set of boots with a decent sole and good support. Just like a house, the foundation is critical, maybe the most important thing. Go get a good pair. How much money do you have tied up in everything else ? Hell buy what you want. I am not going to recommend a brand or style as boots are pretty personal. But they are the last thing to cheap out on.

15-Apr-22
blue spot I have done some hard hunts with just hiking shoes. Comfy, never get blisters and super light. They have worked great. I have done hunts where I cover 8-10 miles a day and change 5,000 feet of elevation. Never had a foot issue. I love them and surprise a lot of people with what consider to be way undergunned footwear.

The only time I do not wear them is December in the Rockies and AK. Add a gator and they even work in light snow.

I work hard to travel light.

15-Apr-22
My feet are flat. I have tried several different inserts including super feet. Also had some orthopedic inserts made. Saw Lathrop at the sheep show and tried their gel inserts. Never looked back. Put them in most os my footwear. Have put many many mountain miles on them with no blisters. Highly recommend them if you have flat feet. Not sure how good they would work if you have high arches though.

15-Apr-22
I was just doing some comparisons between sole and superfeet. The sole had some negative reviews for the cork. The cork was noisy, squeaky and fell apart. It was enough that I went with the superfeet.

FWIW I ordered the trailblazer which is supposedly designed for hiking and the flex which is just a basic all purpose insert. I want to try the flex with my custom orthotics I’ve been wearing for about 20 years due to plantar fasciitis, compared to the trailblazer with no orthotic. Again, just for informational purposes they’ll be going into Schees Beartooth and Hanwag Tatra Top boots.

I put a pair of super feet orange in my work boots and they felt pretty good.

You can look up a podcast from Mindful_Hunter on YouTube and see what he has to say about Lathrop and Sons. Kind of a surprising take. It’s toward the end so you don’t have to sit through it all. Just his opinion but opinions are what’s being asked for here.

16-Apr-22
Cheap boots come with cheap insoles. I like the 'work' insoles from Walmarts as a 'budget' upgrade, but I'm not climbing in the Rockies.

16-Apr-22
L&S are a joke! It's a thin piece of gel, nothing more! I have them and they are worthless! And they will charge you out the ass for some BS fitting crap they say they do to your boots! It's a rip off!! JMHO

I am still looking for really good insoles for my flat and wide feet! The best for me so far are the Redwings insoles.

16-Apr-22
Ohiohunter,

I will check them out.

Thanks!!

17-Apr-22
Do yourself a favor and buy the superfeet. Your feet will thank you.

17-Apr-22
Ohiohunter,

I ordered some today. I will let you know how they work out!

17-Apr-22
Have SOLE performance thick with the met pad inserts in all of my hunting and everyday boots. You cannot beat the comfort and the price.

17-Apr-22

TD's Link
Depends on what you are looking for that is lacking in that boot design. Superfeet are hard and stiff IMO and didn't work at all for what I wanted in my Lowas, which had good support but I wanted a bit more cushion. Those green Superfeet went into the Alpha Burleys and were awesome, changed the boot..... the rubber boots really benefited from the extra support. They are in my second pair right now.

I like the Spenco insoles I had in my Lowas, a bit of added support for my arches and much more cushion than the superfeet, but they are in my work boots right now. Honestly they aren't a lot cheaper, 40 something if I remember. I'm looking at maybe the lathrops as I've heard good things about their cushion. They are in the $50+ range as well, but seems many of the good ones are. Might also look into the Sole for a try. But honestly, if an extra $20 or $30 work better for my feet I'll eat ham sammiches for a week or two or smoke cheaper cigars and get the insoles.

Link to an old bowsite "superfeet vs lathrops" thread.

03-Jun-24

DanaC's Link
Been using 'Powerstep' brand lately. The 'Pinnacle Hiker' is a bit too high-arch for me but the 'Bridge' feel great. They fit best in shoes that are just a bit large for your feet.

03-Jun-24
Hmmmm. You guys have room for inserts in your boots My boots fit , work well on my 72 yr old feet Kennetrek and Crispis have them both but inserts will really crowd my feet and feel uncomfortable Different strokes for different folks Isn't this world grand

03-Jun-24
Chip, I buy boots a bit loose because I expect to upgrade the inserts, and to wear them with good wool socks. If the original liners work for you, great.

03-Jun-24
Not cheaper, but another vote for Lathrop High Country foot beds. I have Superfeet and Spenco and I much prefer the Lathrops. The difference in foot fatigue at the end of a long hard day is very noticeable. I have one pair that is at least 10 years old and still going strong. It's a small price to pay for the benefits.

03-Jun-24
I think the key is to place the various insoles on a hard floor and stand on them to see if it matches the contour of your feet- either by mail order or in a store. I can usually tell if I will like them with that strategy.

I tend to like the softer ones with an arch that are sometimes called diabetic insoles- even though I don’t have diabetes.

03-Jun-24
Lathrop insoles are fine but expensive. The custom sizing is total BS and 100% profit. They cut them w a pair of scissors. I bought a pair of the rack at Cabelas and cut them w my own scissors. I still can’t understand why if they are so great, they don’t include them w their boots.

03-Jun-24
Your feet are worth putting $$ into. Once you start having problems with them it’s hard to come back. I know a few older gentleman that got away with cheap boots for a long time and ended up paying the price later in life. Both advised me to invest in your footwear. Cheaper in the long run. Just cause you can get away with it now doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Worth considering…..

03-Jun-24

Bowboy's Link
Get these.

04-Jun-24
I think we make our feet and ankles weaker by giving them all this support every day then when they get worked hard, they end up injured.

04-Jun-24
Dana , thanks for the explanation That clears up my question

06-Jun-24
Lathrop insoles are garbage and their custom fitting is an absolute joke. A thousand bucks for a pair of boots and gel inserts?!? I absolutely called them out on it, and they sent me the wrong boot size twice and didn't do anything but try and stretch the toe box out on a med width boot when I have wide feet. I ended up getting a full refund, but not until I called them out and fought with them on the phone! They aren't even podiatrists; I believe their dad was. If you buy into their garbage, you are nuts, go buy some good gel inserts from Sportsmans or amazon and be happy!!

Just my two cents worth, but I know a lot of other guys on here that had the same experience, they just won't speak up!

Me, I don't care!! I now use Power-Step or Redwing insoles!

07-Jun-24
One thing I learned - the expensive way - is that the arch profile of the insert has to match your foot. If you have low arches, flat or nearly flat, then you need low-arch insoles. An insert made to support high arches will *hurt*. Too-high support is as bad as not enough.

(if this saves you 50 bucks, take a kid shooting.)

07-Jun-24
My crispis feel great on my feet. Are you taking your boots insole out and replacing it with these other brands? I switched to the buffalo company kodiak socks this year and they fill my boot up perfect and my feet stay warm.

07-Jun-24
nchunter, although Crispi insoles are comfortable, my feet prefer more cushion so I do replace the stock insoles. I tried Lathrop insoles, and even though they felt good, Dr. Scholl’s gel’s work just as well for me at a fraction of the cost.

07-Jun-24
"Are you taking your boots insole out and replacing it with these other brands?"

yes, absolutely. They are 'replacements' not 'add-ons'.

If the 'factory' insoles work for you, great. But at lower price points boots come with insoles that are just garbage imo.

07-Jun-24
I've been happy with Oboz insoles for the last several years. Used to use superfeet before that.

08-Jun-24

BOHNTR's Link
Get these and don’t look back. Helped my foot problems immediately.

11-Jun-24
I've had good luck with Powerstep insoles. Easily trimmable. I have Mortons Neuroma under my toes and buy extra foot pads that I trim down. It works good with my Crispi boots.

• Sitka Gear