CFMuley 19-Apr-22
Ziek 19-Apr-22
Jaquomo 19-Apr-22
BULELK1 20-Apr-22
Ermine 20-Apr-22
12yards 20-Apr-22
18-Apr-22

Lost Arra's Link
When do elk usually shed their antlers? I keep an occasional watch on the Tennessee elk cam and there seems to be quite a few still carrying antlers. I've found plenty in the fall when I'm hunting in Wyoming but I'm usually not around in the spring. I've included a link to the Tenn site.

18-Apr-22
Saw deer, elk, and moose with antlers still on this February. Colorado

18-Apr-22
In my experience elk in the west drop theirs in February, early March at the latest. I am not sure if it would be different in Tennessee for some reason?

I did see a muley on March 22nd still packing his rack. I wasn't expecting that.

18-Apr-22
Montana elk April

18-Apr-22
MT elk start dropping the middle of March and go through early May. You can have the random early and late droppers but majority really start hitting the ground April 1-April 30.

18-Apr-22
Middle of march to first week of April is the bulk of shedding in the western states I have visited. Of course some are earlier and some later.

18-Apr-22
I was up in Rocky Mountain National Park this year March 14th it was about 50/50 on if they had shed from quite a few elk I saw that day.

19-Apr-22
I had two Raggy's cross the road in front of me yesterday, I was going up hiking and they both still had antlers.

Good luck, Robb

19-Apr-22

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
In the Colorado northern front range, they start dropping around the middle of March, and they're done by about the end of April. I often see mixed groups of shed and un-shed bulls during early turkey season (starts around April 10). I took this from a turkey blind on April 22 several years ago.

19-Apr-22
That’s crazy Ohio. In the plateau/ Boulder unit of Utah a few years ago, I saw several velvet bulls. One was going to be huge and was all ready turning his head sideways to negotiate tree gaps. That was around May 10th.

19-Apr-22
Been picking up a few this week while turkey hunting in NM. Around here the raghorns are still packing. The 5x5s dropped within the last couple of weeks. Have not found any large sheds this trip, but figure they drop late March to early April. Someone might have beaten us to them.

19-Apr-22
I'm in unit 34.

19-Apr-22
If the question is when to start looking for sheds and western states like Montana here’s my take on that. The bigger bulls with the antlers you hope to find aren’t standing around with those nursery herds full of cows, calves, and spikes. They’re usually alone in bachelor groups a little higher roughing it a bit. Even though some may start to drop in March most of them will not. Also at that time of year the places they are hanging can still have some pretty deep snow. They may be found on more open south slopes but getting up to those areas can be really tough. Of course you want to try to get there before other shed hunters so the idea is to get there as soon as possible while also hoping that the majority of bulls have dropped their antlers. For that reason we start looking around April 15.

19-Apr-22

CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
From the beginning of March to mid April has been my experience. This is from this last weekend.

19-Apr-22
For those from other states; in Colorado we can't shed hunt on public land west of I-25 until May 1.

19-Apr-22
When I was a Park Ranger at Golden Gate Canyon (west of Boulder) there were three 6x bulls hanging together that didn't drop until the first week of May. Then they all shed within a week.

20-Apr-22
Damn CF!!!

Ya almost got enough Brown to buy a new truck!! haha

Good luck, Robb

20-Apr-22
Around here it’s late March into April

20-Apr-22
It's amazing they grow that much bone in 3-4 months! Unreal!

• Sitka Gear