Brotsky 21-Apr-22
Z Barebow 21-Apr-22
LINK 22-Apr-22
Dyjack 22-Apr-22
Lewis 23-Apr-22
Jaquomo 23-Apr-22
HDE 24-Apr-22
20-Apr-22
I’m new to bowsite and bow hunting elk. I put in for the NM draw after watching all the YouTube information from some bald skinny guy and another guy that eats muskrats. Anyhow, I drew unit 6B second season archery. Is this unit any good? Anyone know a good spot to hang my tree stand within 100 yards of a road? I’m hoping to find a good spot for when I draw again next year. Also I went to Walmart and got a Barnett bow with some real tree arrows and some swacker 2” cut broadheads. Will this setup work for elk? Do you think I can get my bull in 1 35 quart ice chest or should I take a deep freeze? I know elk are where you find them… but where is that? Thanks for the help in advance.

20-Apr-22
LOL ^^^^. Now that’s funny Link!

20-Apr-22
Best thread on Bowsite today:)

20-Apr-22
You have taken a step in the right direction. Bowsite is known for hunting hotspot sharing. (And no political or Covid BS)

The only way to kill an elk is backpack in 7 miles. Base camp hunts are for grandpas who like to camp and not kill anything.

Look for irrigation pivots. (At least that is where Montana elk live) The water pressure from the pivot will push them into the backcountry. And you will be there waiting.

Buy ONX. I don’t know what it is, but every YouTube flat brimmer is sponsored by them. So it must be a requirement to hunt elk.

If you have to fallback to road hunting, remember to shut your truck off before you bugle. You can hear 50% more with out your truck or RAZR idling.

Good luck with that tag. I know hundreds of people who have drawn that unit. I would take the first rag horn you see. Dragging elk more than a mile can be tough. Start training no later than August 15th.

20-Apr-22
Thanks for the advice Z. No worries about that working out part. I’ve been watching this elk shape dude and doing deadlift with 30# plates on each side like he does. I should be set. Keep it coming fellas.

20-Apr-22
Some good advice already.

I'll just add ...be sure and bring a BUTT OUT tool! It works every bit as well on elk ( or moose and caribou ) as on deer.

Good luck!

20-Apr-22
“Dragging elk more than a mile can be tough. Start training no later than August 15th.”

-Lmao!! All really good info here!

20-Apr-22
Lmfao! Best thread all year! Besides the polar bear threads lol

20-Apr-22
Don’t waste your time (or weight) on a bugle tube.................just use a HOOCHIE MOMMA! ;-)

(this post in memory of Big Dan)

20-Apr-22
“ I'll just add ...be sure and bring a BUTT OUT tool! It works every bit as well on elk ( or moose and caribou ) as on deer.”

Not to mention they are useful if you get bound up after too many Mountain House meals following your 7 mile pack in.

20-Apr-22
If you’re hunting 100 yards in, you’re to far in the backcountry. Get a road map of the area. I’m talking paper map, not any of that hi-tech stuff on your phone. Try to find a good tree right on the side of the road. You’ll know it’s the right tree when you smell elk piss. Elk pee like dogs on the sides of trees.

Bring a cow bell. Sometimes elk are over in the next unit and you have to get their attention.

If you shoot one and he falls down in the middle of the road, don’t get out of your stand and start blood trailing. Wait until a truck drives by. If the elk get’s up and runs off, he was still alive. Shoot Rage broadheads only. Decrease your draw weight for extra penetration.

These tips work best in 6B. And remember, elk hunting is easy.

20-Apr-22
Damn, i was reading this thread planning on blasting you ! LOL. Then when i actually read it.........:)

20-Apr-22
You'll need to have a complete outfit of Kuiu from briefs to a sleeping bag. Flat brim hats hide your face better too. Almost forgot...... make sure you have your bow set to 85# and use a Rage mechanical.

Most guys will give you coordinates to "honey holes" if you're a first time poster on Bowsite. Good luck and make sure your taxidermist knows what form you want before you leave.

20-Apr-22
The answer to all your questions is yes, if you want them to be yes.

20-Apr-22
Also..... some pretty open country out there. Sight your Barnett dead on for 135 yards at least, maybe to 150 yards even.

20-Apr-22
....and don't forget to bring at least 4 dozen cell cameras and set them up on every trail coming into a pond, a horse tank or even a puddle of water on an old two track!! Buy some scent free Preparation H so when the chaffing gets bad enough the elusive wapiti won't smell you!! Some really useful advice so far for you. Can't wait to see the B&C raghorn you shoot this fall!!

20-Apr-22
Taking notes and will try all this as I really did draw this tag!

20-Apr-22
Don’t forget, the best honey hole in 6b is right in the middle of the big valley.

20-Apr-22
LOL... I actually DID draw that tag in 2007 if anyone is really looking for help in VC/ 6B. Still laughing at OPs post. ?? Should have known it was a spoof when he said "Is that unit any good?" But gave him benefit of the doubt until the next sentence.

20-Apr-22
"Flat brim hats hide your face better too."

Will keep the tops of your ears from getting sunburned if you do it right too.

20-Apr-22
Contact doyle mossback. His wife (at the time?) hunted it the same year I did. They got special privilege to spots nobody else did, so he's in the know...

20-Apr-22
This thread for the win haha

20-Apr-22
If you find some good spots on your hunt make sure you come back and share them with everyone.

20-Apr-22
All you need to have to be successful on an elk hunt is an e-bike, and a night scope and suppressor on your rifle. That's how all the cool kids do it these days.

And welcome to the site, LINK. You should do fine here.

Matt

20-Apr-22
Looks to me like its been a long winter boys!!

20-Apr-22
This thread is great. I have been trying to figure why the flat brimmers stick their ears in the hat. I never realized it was to prevent sunburns on their ears.

Now it all makes sense why my skin doctors has the Hush hats for sale in his office!

21-Apr-22

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Man if only I had come to this site sooner. I never knew if you wore your flat brim over you ears like that fire bull guy you could avoid crispy ears. I thought he did that to keep his ginormous ears tucked in so they didn’t draw attention away from his rat tail. I wish I had found this out sooner as I just had some skin cancer removed. Wear your sun screen gentleman and more importantly pull you cap over your ear tips.

21-Apr-22
This thread's a classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21-Apr-22
Don't forget unscented lotion for the chafing when your man-scaping starts to grow back in mid-hunt. Don't want the elk to smell you.

21-Apr-22
I have heard aliens are kidnapping guys out of 6B who are well endowed. I don't know if you'll need to worry but the space ship is pretty cool.

21-Apr-22
LINK

Good to hear you are working out. You seem like someone who doesn’t shy away from hunting “hard” and willing to “grind “ it out.

I believe there is an app called “ Grindr” which might help. Sign up and add your profile. Include that you are “looking for a honey hole”. I suspect you will get plenty of responses.

22-Apr-22
Thank you guys! The help has been overwhelming, especially all those sending me pm’s with coordinates to secret spots and honey holes. Paul at the fort told me tree stands can produce but mainly over water 3-4 miles deep. The heck with that, I guess I’ll leave my stand at home. I’ve been watching these guys on YouTube that ride bikes and cry every time they kill a bull. Seems those two must go hand in hand. I don’t have a bike but they said something about a cat road shuffle. I don’t know what that is but I think they must dance and play their bugle tube like the pied pipers of the elk woods. Z bare bow I haven’t tried that honey hole app yet but will definitely keep that in mind. I think I have heard that Jaquemo guy mention that as a key to his recent honey hole success. What ever plan I come up with, I know one thing and that’s keep hammering fellas.

22-Apr-22
Don't forget your flatbrim and you need at least 10 stickers of antlers and brands on your vehicle. Otherwise the elk won't even try to come die for you.

23-Apr-22
Great thread made me laugh a lot lol ?? what’s really funny is there is a lot of folks that would take that very seriously Good luck Lewis

23-Apr-22
The hunting app I use is called "Gummr"..for old guys. You'll be wallowing in that honeyhole in no time, unless it's dried up. If so, take matters into your own hands and be creative. Sooner or later, you'll score!

24-Apr-22
"I have heard aliens are kidnapping guys out of 6B"

Now you know why some areas are closed off...

• Sitka Gear