Mathewsphone 26-Apr-22
Medicinemann 27-Apr-22
JG 13-May-22
jmiller 13-May-22
MikeSohm/Magnus 18-May-22
MikeSohm/Magnus 18-May-22
jmiller 19-May-22
21-Apr-22
I was fortunate to draw a cow bison tag for the Lower Brule Indian Reservation in South Dakota. I shoot a 70 pound Mathews bow with Carbon Express Piledriver Hunter arrows tipped with 100 grain NAP Shockwave broadheads for deer, but need cut on contact broadheads for the much larger bison. Any recommendations on a stout, tough broadhead?

21-Apr-22
Iron wills

21-Apr-22
Is there any restrictions on archery equipment?

21-Apr-22
I don't believe so

21-Apr-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
My Daughter & I used 3 blade 125 gr Rocky Mountains & 2219 Aluminum arrows, 29". I use 60#s & had a pass thru & beyond at 42 yds. & quick kill. Daughter had 27" penetration at 25 yds. Her Cow dropped in 60 yds. These were ranch bowhunts & 5 years apart. My hunt took 4 days to get a shot & hers was 2 days. Rocky Mountain Ironhead if you can find them.

21-Apr-22
Took two with Zwickey heads I think they were 145 grains.

21-Apr-22
What are your thoughts on using Magnus BH ?

21-Apr-22
I know several guys that used their elk setups, and had no issues killing bison. Skeleton-wise, they aren’t too much different than an elk, vs a Cape Buffalo, which is in an entirely different realm.

21-Apr-22
I have some Magnus Stinger 125 grain that I wouldn't hesitate to use

21-Apr-22
I killed mine with a QAD exodus. I was very impressed with the penetration. Best of luck. But

21-Apr-22
VPA 3 blade lots of weights available! Shawn

21-Apr-22
killed a bull with a zwickey. complete pass through with a 50 lb recurve. i would think any coc 2 blade would do the trick

21-Apr-22
Hopefully get to shoot one with a flint point someday…

Shot a young bullwith a 2-blade Magnus and a 750 grain arrow off a 60 pound longbow. 25 yard shot. Broke ribs on both sides and was stuck in the ground 20 yards on the other side…

Would recommend a heavy arrow setup with a solid 2, 3, or 4 blade broadhead. VPA or Cutthroat makes really good solid 3-blades. Get that total arrow mass up to 750-800 grains…

21-Apr-22
Killed a Henry Mt bull with a Zwickey 4-blade Delta. No issues. Penetration to the offside knuckle. Slow old 70# compound (1994 model PSE), 525 gr aluminum arrow.

Watched two buddies shoot ranch bison with 60# long bows and flint heads they had knapped....attached to wood shafts with elk sinew. A couple heads broke on the near side ribs and the shaft bounced out, the others penetrated to the far side of the rib cage if they missed ribs.

Good luck!!

21-Apr-22
I would think your Magnus stingers would be fine. I have only shot one bison and that was with a 175 grain Grizzly single bevel broadhead. The arrow split a rib on entry and lodged in the offside shoulder. The bison was down within 100 yards.

21-Apr-22
i shot a zwicky all the way throw and then killed one more with same arrow

21-Apr-22
I’ve shot two bison with a Shiloh Sharps 45/70. That’s not really transferable to archery. But my recommendation would be IW 125 double bevel. Second would be Magnus Stinger, 125 grain. And both of these, with a bleeder blade.

21-Apr-22
Killed mine with a 2-blade Zwickey & a 62# compound bow. Arrowed lodged in opposite side lower shoulder blade.

21-Apr-22
I killed mine with a 1.5” sevr. I was shooting a 70 lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder FX. Shooting a 463 grain Easton Injection at 293 FPS. The arrow blew through and I found it 50 yards past the bison. The bison was dead in 30 yards.

22-Apr-22
Used slick trick mags 100 on the cow I shot. Shattered the nearside rib and stuck in the far side rib, this was with a heavier arrow and 68# Hoyt

24-Apr-22
I’m in the WY draw this year for bison. Crossing my fingers

Debating between Valkyrie or slick tricks.

Watching this thread closely. Some say they are tough and some say they are thin boned. Heck the American Indians took them with bows. I keep thinking the slick tricks will be good enough?

24-Apr-22
A cow bison is not too much bigger than a bull elk. A bison bull is in a different category but nothing like a true buffalo.

25-Apr-22
Heat - what’s the difference between a bison and true Buffalo? You thinking Cape buffalo?

25-Apr-22
I shot my BULL Bison with a solid three blade Razor Cap. He took a bit to bleed out but didnt go far.

25-Apr-22
Bone structure of ribs are heavier/thicker in a Cape buffalo. Hide is also thicker on a buffalo.

26-Apr-22
Buffalo evolved defenses against lions and tigers. Bison evolved defenses against wolves and maybe the occasional bear.

I think the big sabertooths tended to prey on larger, slower animals when they had the choice. Sloths, Rhinoceros, etc….

So basically, the Buffalo had to be up-armored, and bison needed to be able to run a ways. And then once they had the armor, they really didn’t have much reason to go well out of their way to avoid conflict with the big predators….

26-Apr-22
If only the ribs are struck. A decent elk set up is plenty for Bison. As mentioned they can take a while to bleed out if hit higher in the lungs. Like a moose they often stand for follow up shots.

26-Apr-22
I got mine with a Muzzy 100 grains complete pass trough at 32 yards

26-Apr-22
I have have killed 2. 1 wild 1 high fence. British Columbia bull I shot a innterloc 100gr 3 blade 49 yrds full pass thru high fence cow 35 yrds 3 blade trophy taker 3 blade Sharp blades all you need 480 gr arrow

27-Apr-22
Whatever broadhead you select, best of luck in your endeavor. I believe that fair chase bison are a very underrated archery trophy.

13-May-22
Ok, this thread seems dormant. I’d like to ask another question if the OP doesn’t mind

I didn’t draw WY but just booked a hunt in the rolling hills of Nebraska though Cabelas

I’d love any advice anyone has that has done a hunt like this. The hunt is mid Dec

Camo, shot distance I need to prepare for, etc

13-May-22
I'd love any advice as well! I'm excited to have the opportunity to hunt such a majestic animal.

18-May-22

MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo
Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade
First of all best of luck on your bison hunt!!! I would honestly go with the Magnus Stinger buzzcut over the Magnus stinger as the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut penetrates like a Stinger but cuts a lot more. Its a chisel serration and its not like the scalloped serration on a hunting knife. Take a look

18-May-22

First of all best of luck on your bison hunt!!! I would honestly go with the Magnus Stinger buzzcut over the Magnus stinger as the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut penetrates like a Stinger but cuts a lot more. Its a chisel serration and its not like the scalloped serration on a hunting knife. Take a look

19-May-22
I've been shooting the Stinger 125 and am very pleased with the accuracy. Can't wait for October now!

• Sitka Gear