pirogue 07-Sep-22
bigswivle 08-Sep-22
DanaC 08-Sep-22
APauls 08-Sep-22
Don 08-Sep-22
Catscratch 08-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
21-Apr-22
We hunt a ranch in SD that has cattle. We put out a Cuddeback cell cam network in the summer. Is there a bait or attractant that works that won't attract cattle? Last year the cattle made it frustrating when we had mineral in front of our cams. We were thinking maybe just put them on good trail intersections and go with that. But wondering if anyone has a better way.

21-Apr-22
If you're trying to attract trail cams, make some very large mock scrapes and create rubs on telephone-pole sized trees. If your budget allows for it, spread several 160" - 190" shed antlers around the area. I think you'll be impressed with the number of trail cameras you will successfully bait into the area.

21-Apr-22
A good licking branch works wonders. 24/7/365. Doesn't even need refreshing. Grape vine is the bomb.

21-Apr-22
Cows are a PIA. About the only thing that is effective is putting up a little 20 yard diameter fence with your camera and bait/minerals in the middle of it. Make sure it's ok with your landowner first. You'll need a handful posts, and some wire that's about 4' tall. The deer will jump over the wire easily, the cows won't. Otherwise you'll just drive yourself mad with the cows eating all the bait and licking your camera.

21-Apr-22
Overland….thats very well done….. legit…..

21-Apr-22
Grapevine mock scrapes X 50! I would think cattle wouldn’t mess with them much, if any.

21-Apr-22
I live and hunt on a cattle ranch. Like said several times above; licking branches and scrapes are going to be your friends. Understand that the herd is still going to meander in front of your camera's once in a while, but they won't camp out there like they would with mineral or corn. Trails are also good places to place cams in this type of situation.

21-Apr-22
Thanks folks! Except for you Overland! SmartAZZ! LOL. I like your sense of humor.

21-Apr-22
Putting a "trail camera" on a trail. There's a novel idea!!! Lots of wise guys around on Bowsite lately. Seriously cows are a major PITA. Last year I was dove hunting and a group of heifers bugged me for so long I might have shot them if they were not mine!!!

21-Apr-22
Expanding on Overland's thoughts, find a watering hole on public land with plenty of wild game sign around it. You're likely to attract dozens of cameras. ;-)

Matt

21-Apr-22
All this discussion is so silly from someone that lives where ag and cattle are the norm. Some say make plot on wasted acres. There IS NO wasted acres unless you are rich enough to buy it or tie it up. EVERY acre is either grazed or farmed, that's how folks make their living.

21-Apr-22
I didn’t see where anyone commented on any wasted acres, Dave.

31-Aug-22

razorsharp's embedded Photo
razorsharp's embedded Photo
HATE them....

31-Aug-22
I got scent busted by a wildass brahma cow once.....true.

31-Aug-22
I'm just going to leave this here : https://news.sd.gov/newsitem.aspx?id=15228

01-Sep-22
^^^ He probably meant SC not SD :)

01-Sep-22
Boy I hope so.

01-Sep-22

DWolfe's embedded Photo
DWolfe's embedded Photo
Simple just don't bait.

04-Sep-22
What a cattle farmer one told me that I shall never forget- “If a cow can’t eat it, the cow will knock it over and shit on it.” I have found these to be words of wisdom.

05-Sep-22
Buffalo1 ..sound about like a bear …if they can’t drag the sob off they’ll destroy it and leave it there

05-Sep-22
I know that trail cams are handy, lots of my fiends use them, but I still enjoy scouting for trails, scrapes, and simply sitting in the woods. If this place is close enough, head out after work for an hour and just pick a spot to sit. What you see can sometimes be as enjoyable as shooting a deer and provide you insight on future hunting. You can sit some places farther away and develop strategies for where to sit for the hunt or where to make blinds. That process makes the “hunt” more than just going out the day you shoot something. Nothing wrong with trail cams. But being out in nature over time is a lot more fun than just showing up on opening day.

05-Sep-22
“But Dad, don’t you sit on that same water hole every year with your parallel compound bow with carbon arrows, replaceable blade broadheads, a rangefinder and a release? Shouldn't you be out still hunting?”

05-Sep-22
Amazing how every thread eventually evolves into some sort of debate involving broadheads or baiting............................

05-Sep-22
Divisive issues have a tendency to do that.

05-Sep-22
Sorry, I shouldn’t have been “baited” into making that comment, but when someone asks a questions and people feel the need to denigrate their thread I have to point out hypocrisy. And I have never baited or used a trail cam for mule deer

05-Sep-22
Overland: Fantastic...!

06-Sep-22
I was merely pointing out that it may be illegal , regardless of how you feel about trail cams and baiting in general if it is illegal then it should not be done. If legal go for it. Posting on a public forum is going to get a variety of responses. Baiting is illegal in many states and hence folks will feel strongly about it.

07-Sep-22
Easy to tell those that hunt in a state where you can bait. Similar to the Yeti syndrome; if one can’t afford it, they bash it.

07-Sep-22
That should have been, easy to tell those that can’t hunt in a state that allows bait.

07-Sep-22
That should have been, easy to tell those that can’t hunt in a state that allows bait.

08-Sep-22
3’ bullpanels. We have 32’ square pens around all our feeders. 100% keeps hogs out. Every once in a while a cow will jump in.

08-Sep-22
Not allowed to hunt over bait here but I can 'inventory' the critters with apples and a cam in a non-huntable spot (legally too close to a public road.) I hunt 300 yards in from this spot.

08-Sep-22
I should start a magazine called Broadheads and Baiting.

08-Sep-22
I’ve never made a mock scrape. Do you guys use droppers or just squirt some urine in the scrape and leave it to the deer?

08-Sep-22
The licking branch is more important than the ground IMO. Put some scent on an overhanging limb that's the right height (or a grape vine, hemp rope, etc) and scrape the ground a little to get fresh earth. Should jump start on their own with that much done.

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear