Rut Nut 27-Apr-22
Lewis 27-Apr-22
IdyllwildArcher 28-Apr-22
OHelkhunter 31-Aug-22
Fulldraw 31-Aug-22
Bowman 31-Aug-22
midwest 31-Aug-22
23-Apr-22
When I met Big Dan in 2005 in Az he was camped across the road from us and after he killed his 2nd bull of that season he stopped by our camp and invited us to see his Az bull before he pulled out to hunt in Montana in the Missouri Breaks to kill his 3rd bull of that 2005 season. I did not know who he was at that time in AZ when we met & he gave me his number and told me to call him if I was in that area or needed help with information about hunting elk. I found out who he was later when that story came out about the three bulls he killed that season and how many he had killed in his life to that period. So when I drew my tag for the same unit we hunted in 2005 and he had hunted that same unit the year before and he was glad to help me with some more information when I called him. I remembered that he had changed to another unit before he passed so this year I put that unit down as a second choice and drew that tag close to Flagstaff. I know that some old guys are willing to help some of us old timers help without giving the unit I mentioned that Dan had applied the year he passed. Please PM me if you can help or give me a call at 740-442-5789.( I told you I was old school and like to talk on the phone because I don't know if this message is coming out right)

23-Apr-22
Big Dan died?!

23-Apr-22
You didn't know that Thornton?!

23-Apr-22
Ouch that was the hunt he and I put into together it would have been our first time hunting together even though we knew each other for over 30 something years. I quit putting in this year and ate my 17 points just didn’t feel like it.If it’s the unit I think it is I have some great charts on that particular unit.He was a great friend and truly one of a kind very sorely missed.Good luck Lewis

23-Apr-22
I think the unit 8 police are still looking for blacktail bobs ladderstand after him and Danny’s 14’ hunt. Rained the first ten days of that hunt. Lewis Thier are lots of great hunts with that amount of points you should really consider making it work somehow for you.

23-Apr-22
I remember his son died a few years ago.

24-Apr-22
I sat at his banquet table for the P&Y Convention in St. Louis, and was glad we both arrived early and were able to chat a lot about elk. Including his unit 8 hunt. I had scouted that previously. Wish I’d gotten a photo together.

24-Apr-22
Danny Moore was not just a great elk hunter but he was about as nice of person as you could ever meet and he LOVED Bowsite. May he RIP!

24-Apr-22
I certainly didn’t know he passed. I never had the privilege of meeting the man, but he sure was willing to help when asked and one hell of an elk hunter.

25-Apr-22

midwest's Link
Big Dan passed thread...

25-Apr-22
Thornton, you even said you condolences on that thread. Good grief!!

25-Apr-22
Toddy, now that is too funny. Nice catch.

25-Apr-22
I did too..

I blame it on age lol.

25-Apr-22
Great guy would help anyone out but didn’t take any bull sh**. He’s greatly missed by many.

25-Apr-22
I saw that.. I must be losing my mind. If I'd had a personal connection with him like many on here did, I'd have not forgotten a single detail.

27-Apr-22
Lewis, I sent you a PM. I was wondering if you got it?

27-Apr-22
Don't feel bad guys...........................I remembered the thread, but did not remember responding to it. I had to check to see if I had................................ ;-)

27-Apr-22
Mike I did and I sent you a pm today let me know if you don’t get it Good luck Lewis

28-Apr-22
I'm really surprised that any Bowsite regular like you two would have missed that. Nothing against you, I'm just surprised.

Work gets crazy. People go on long hunts. I've missed some long-standing threads before - mostly during hunting season.

Still, it was top of the page for a while. He did die during hunting season, though. Right at the beginning of it, actually.

31-Aug-22
Just wanted to express thanks for those bowsiters that responded to my request for help with Arizona 6B. This mornings message from Lewis reminded me that I have thanked Heat & others for their help with information and Big Dan smiling down on us all during this ELK Season due to helping NEW and OLD bow hunters. At 71 years young and having had several major surgeries in the past few years please enjoy every day as it could be your last hunt. We are leaving this weekend for Arizona from Ohio if my buddies can get a negative covid test results to overcome another health hurdle that life sends our way. It is going to great to be in the elk woods again this September.

31-Aug-22
Danny was an incredibly nice and generous man. I drew a tag one year, and he asked me to call him... when I did, he told me the maps to buy, and to call him back when I had them, and we spent a couple hours on the phone reviewing and talking... not many like him. He was a great guy.

31-Aug-22
Mooney mtn has been good to me in the past and evert tank area and the ridges runiing east of that tank. Big fire in that unit a few yrs ago so should be a lot of new growth down there. Good luck, im jealous

31-Aug-22
Best of luck!!!

• Sitka Gear